Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
4/18/2021 9:59:29 PM
Posted: 6/2/2008 5:06:45 PM EDT
My grandfather loaned me this old .22 rifle.  He hadn't shot it in decades, and I wanted to clean it up and see how well it worked.

It's a fun little plinker, seems great for someone just starting out.  It's a single-shot -- you load up a cartridge, then pull the firing pin to the rear till it catches a sear, then pull the trigger, pull bolt to eject, and load one up again.  The sights are sort of crude, and there are no provisions for a scope, but at least the sight radius is long.  The barrel is at least 20", maybe longer.

I didn't really manage so well accuracy-wise.  I could only get about 2" groups at 25m.  I don't know if it was the sun in my eyes, or perhaps an imperfect crown, or if it was just me sucking.

I was wondering what kind of accuracy I could expect from this gun.  Please share your experience.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:11:14 PM EDT
Looks like a fun little gun with a lot of history.

My dad left me a Model 61 that I shoot every so often.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:19:16 PM EDT
I have one that belonged to my late dad, I learned to shoot with it about 40 some odd years ago. They are not target rifles. But they are usually squirrel accurate, meaning you can get a hit on a squirrel at most normal hunting ranges. My dad got his rifle at a pawn shop when he was in the Air Force during the Korean War. It was old then.

There are just a lot of limitations with these basic 67's. The triggers are crude at best, the sights are rudimentary. The stock can be skimpy, depending on when it was made. Remember, these were Winchesters bottom of the line back in the 20's/30's. There are higher grade target versions of these rifles, I do not know the model numbers off the top of my head. But those were made in much smaller numbers and go for much bigger dollars today.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:19:58 PM EDT
I have one that the kids like to shoot.  Since they're not serial-numbered, it's difficult to tell when it was made (sometime between 1934 and 1967).  Anyway, some early models were smooth-bore.  Check yours to see if it's one of those.  That might account for the lack of accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:43:18 PM EDT
I have one and it seems pretty accurate.  I use it mostly as a plinker and haven't ever really put it on paper though.  What kind of ammo were you using?  Ammunition choices are especially important in rimfire cartridges.  If you're looking for accuracy you won't find it with AE or Blazer.  Try something a little more expensive like CCI mini mags or maybe their standard velocity stuff.  If you really want to move up and try to get good groups I would suggest CCI Green Tag or anything Eley primed.  I've never run competition grade ammo through mine but it likes CCI mini mag and the Remingtons with the brass jacketed bullets.  Remember to squeeze the trigger slowly, it's crude and if you notice the bolt will actually move slightly.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:45:59 PM EDT
I learned how to shoot on a Winchester 67. The one I shot was never ultra accurate, but plenty good enough for plinking.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:51:57 PM EDT
I inherited my grandpa's model 67A. You should be able to take squirrel, rabbit, or pop can easily. Might see if the bore doesn't need a good scrubbing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:53:29 AM EDT
The bore is not smooth; there's definitely some rifling down in it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:28:59 PM EDT
Got one just like it. A sheepherder gave it to my grandpa for giving him a ride during a blizzard about 40 0r 50 years ago. It is one of my favorite guns. Not the most accurate, but it has character and has taken a lot of game over the years. I have shot hundreds of 22 shorts thru it over the years ( my preferred round). Even killed a few coyotes with that little round. You really don't need a cannon to kill something, just pick your shots.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:54:07 PM EDT
i got mine from my father,he got it used when he was a kid.i have killed well over 100 groundhogs with it,many over 100 yards away.pick your ammo carefully,makes a big difference.it will teach you everything you need to know to shoot well,trigger control,breathing,and shot placement.i own many guns,but if i had to sell them that rifle would be the last to go.
Top Top