Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 12:44:27 PM EDT
I've had it with Sprint. Their coverage sucks ass and the phone I have sucks ass. I'm looking for a new cell phone service in the NY.

Someone recommended T-Mobile but I really don't know anything about them. I was just gonna go with Verizon.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, me. I'd say reception has been spotty, but that may be with all cell phone services. Overall, I have had no problems with them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, the GF and I have T-mobile and overall we're happy with 'em. We get great coverage in our area (we travel a lot to southern AZ, Nevada, eastern New Mexico, SoCal) and I even get pretty decent coverage in remote mountain areas of AZ.
Press them for the best plan available-they won't offer it to you unless you do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey dickweed, don't you trust me?

I get reception with this thing everywhere, including the pit and near the water.  Only one bad spot by Babylon ON the water.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Verizon, but then I'm biased.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey dickweed, don't you trust me?

I get reception with this thing everywhere, including the pit and near the water.  Only one bad spot by Babylon ON the water.
View Quote

I trust you...about as far as I can throw Ray.

Oops

Sorry.

I just need coverage at my house and I know Verizon works here. Sprint didn't.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't recommend T-Moblie enough!

Excellent service, coverage, and plans (for me at least.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
T-Mobile sucks for the North Shore of Long Island. My son has had it for a year. We will be canceling it on 1-14-04 and going back to Verizon. MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
T-Mobile sucks for the North Shore of Long Island. My son has had it for a year. We will be canceling it on 1-14-04 and going back to Verizon. MIKE.
View Quote

Interesting...which phone did you get?  I've had very good luck with the Motorola I got with the service, so far no problems.  I even took it kayaking in the sound and had reception.  My old phone, an Ericsson T28 didn't get good reception though.  I'd cut out in Huntington Village, which is where I got it in the first place!

One thing is for sure, if you don't like it, you can return it within 2 days with no hassle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#10]
In NY I can't recommend Cingular highly enough.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Last January I bought him the most expensive Motorola that was a camera, could download from the internet ect... The phone is great but he takes the train from Mineola to St James everyday. No reception in Coldspring Harbor, Huntington, Kings Park, and were we live St James. MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
My bud has T-Mobile in walingford CT. He says it works well there, and works ok at his folks house on the island. Didnt have much luck in many parts of the state.

When I got my new phone, everyone said go with Verizon or AT&T.  But I DID NOT want to give those bastards anymore money every month.  I went with Cingular. So far I've been disappointed with their service. barely works in my house, often dosnt. No service at the top of my driveway, but service at the bottom?  Not happy with it. Though I do have GSM which is SUPPOSED to get better in the future.  If not, I guess I'll have to pay Verizon...   eeeeughh.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
IM sent
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a little known fact that T-Mobile is using Cingular's network until they can get their own up and running.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in St. Louis, MO, and have not found a "No Service" area yet. Been with them for over a year and perfect coverage. At exactly 1 year, I upgraded my plan and phone, now working with a Motorola V300 picture phone! Woo hoo! I have also found t-zones, t-mobile's personal internet plan, to be very useful. For 4.99 a month you get unlimited access to news, sports, weather, very large online multiplayer scenario/roleplaying games, horoscopes, email, IM, and just about everything else you can imagine. Voice reception is excellent, just like my home phone. I'd recommend them 100% in St. Louis area, sooo much better than sprint here. Can't speak for coverage and service in NY, but I LOVE t-zones!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Cingular has way better coverage.  T-Mobile is real spotty
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have & love T-Mobile!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Verizon!  Excellent coverage!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Best idea yet...
Try out the service before you commit.
Simple.
Everyone has a return policy. Most are 14-15 days.
Remember the old saying try before you buy? Well this is as close to that as you can get.
Where you live and what you use the phone for will determine what service you will get. Very small % of people actually use thier phone outside there home area.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Correct, Cingular's GSM network is small, that is why I'm using their standard digital netowrk... which incidently works in my apartment building, most areas except the core of my office building and Waco, Texas... [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I Have them now.

Great coverage and some of the best pricing out there.

I'd recommend them.

SG
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a little known fact that T-Mobile is using Cingular's network until they can get their own up and running.
View Quote

Correction:
T-Mobile and Cingular share towers in New York, California, and Nevada.  T-Mobile(previously Voicestream) have had coverage in NY way before Cingular ever entered the GSM arena.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
ive had them all
Im on the South shore of LI
At&T wireless is by far the best
only one that works in my highrise
works 25miles out in the ocean as well as the North shore and East End.
Verizon is 2nd best and the others dont work for shit
i got a Nokia 6200
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]
From what I looked into T-mobile area is about the same as sprint, I knew someone had cingular, was spotty where he was.  

Verizon seemed to work well in Long Island.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#26]
25 miles out Roger?  Did they float a cell tower out there somewhere?  Granted, if they put a couple on the coastline there would be no obstructions between you and the tower, but is 25 miles starting to become over-the-horizon?  I have no experience in this area, but that is fairly impressive.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had cingular, sprint, nextel, and now T-Mobile.  I am definetely more happy with t-mobile than any of the other companies I've had.  Great prices and since I don't really travel much I really don't worry about running out of places that I can't call from.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Everything but Verizon sucks for coverage...  But then again, I'm biased.

Troy had the best proof though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmmm, just where I plan on using it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#30]
T-Mobile has Mike Douglas's skank whore wife as their spokseperson.
No friggin way would I give either of them a penny by buying something they advertise.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
T-Mobile has Mike Douglas's [red]skank whore wife[/red] as their spokseperson.
No friggin way would I give either of them a penny by buying something they advertise.
View Quote

Kool.  Pass the crack-pipe, will ya?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:24:24 AM EDT
[#32]
You think that she is not?
Ugh, that anti-gunner has fucked her and she has had his kid.
Not even with a double wrap of lead lined rubbers.

Quoted:
Quoted:
T-Mobile has Mike Douglas's [red]skank whore wife[/red] as their spokseperson.
View Quote

Kool.  Pass the crack-pipe, will ya?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Nextel anyone?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I trust you...about as far as I can throw Ray.

Oops

Sorry.
View Quote

Oh you boys crack me up...  [ROFL2]  [ROFL]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#35]
WE have 2 Sprint and 2 ATT, they all SUCK.

I thought about Nextel but I use one at work and the thought of hearing that annoying beep-beep at home is making me look at Verizon.

I think I will get 4 phones with Verizon next week. Did anyone get the phones with the camera? Are they OK?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think I will get 4 phones with Verizon next week. Did anyone get the phones with the camera? Are they OK?
View Quote

Stay away from the Audiovox 8900.  The LG6000 is ok, but if you can wait a week or so, you can get the Samsung camera phone (my recommendation)  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Stay away from the Audiovox 8900.  The LG6000 is ok, but if you can wait a week or so, you can get the Samsung camera phone (my recommendation)  
View Quote

The Samsung camera phone is the one I was looking to get, I thought they were available now, I will wait if I have to. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
25 miles out Roger?  Did they float a cell tower out there somewhere?  Granted, if they put a couple on the coastline there would be no obstructions between you and the tower, but is 25 miles starting to become over-the-horizon?  I have no experience in this area, but that is fairly impressive.
View Quote

works perfect everytime on my boat , sometimes roams to Jersey , always have pretty good strength
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#39]
My ONLY complaint with Cingular is they don't have shit for phones...  I would love a nice LG or Samsung color camera phone that works on digital networks as well as the new GRMS/GPS networks... alas, nothin!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#40]
My two sisters have T-Mobile, they have to, they work for them.

Too damn bad when we go to our parents place in San Jose they have to use my [b]VERIZON[/b] to get a signal!

I was [insert forgotten name] in 1991, bought by airtouch shortly thereafter, bought by Verizon a few years ago. 12-13 years continuous service. And they are the best in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was [insert forgotten name] in 1991, bought by airtouch shortly thereafter, bought by Verizon a few years ago. 12-13 years continuous service. And they are the best in my mind.
View Quote

USWest Cellular...  Then purchased by AirTouch.  Then AirTouch merged (not purchased [:)]) with Bell Atlantic Mobile and Vodaphone to form Verizon Wireless.  

Verizon comes from the combination of Veritas and Horizon.  2 words that I think of every time I deal with one of MY customers...  Tell the truth (veritas) and look to the future (horizon).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top