Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT
This sucks. I feel like I've been run over by a truck. Got antibiotics from the doc. I knew what it was right away and went to my doctor. It's still spreading some, but I've only had the drugs in me 12 hours. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to penicillin which is the most effective drug. Anyway, I'm done whining now. Just wanted to check if anyone knew of something to make you feel better while the prescription kicks in?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:20:30 PM EDT
I have never had it, and I don't know what it is...but I wish you a painfree and speedy recovery!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:25:19 PM EDT
Yeah, my ex-girlfriend went to the doctor about that.

They used a suction hose to get it off her ass!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:04:37 PM EDT
I had it twice on my foot at bootcamp in PI from falling off an obstacle during the confidence course. The resulting wet boots and socks rubbed a blister into my ankle that got infected, but it was cleared up after about a week of antibiotcs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:13:15 PM EDT
Cellulitis is a superficial soft tissue infection, not to be confused w/ cellulite. It should respond to the antibiotics. If it continues to spread, or if you have a persitently elevated temperature, notify your Doc. Some forms of soft tissue infection may appear to be simple cellulitis, but then can progress to more serious conditions (erysipelas, necrotizing fasciitis, etc..)

best of luck

What antibiotic did they give you?

Sam
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:22:29 PM EDT
Had a helluva case while I had a case of undiagnosed Lymes Disease. My whole right upper torso, including my underarm, right pectoral, swelled and hurt like hell. The severely swolen lymph glands didn't help either...my sympathies dude.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:24:35 PM EDT
Using pain-relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen may help reduce discomfort. Also, if it is swollen/painful and in an area where you can do so, elevate it. Hope you feel better soon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:42:37 PM EDT
Thanks all. They put me on 500 mg of Levaquin for 15 days.

If they could stick a hose in there and suck it out I'd go for it, but it's not quite that easy.

Advil seems to be the best. Feeling a little better now, but it's been a shitty day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:53:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MissouriBob:

If they could stick a hose in there and suck it out I'd go for it, but it's not quite that easy.

Advil seems to be the best. Feeling a little better now, but it's been a shitty day.

Did the doc draw a circle around the red area, telling you to watch for spread? This helps to monitor the effectiveness of the antibiotics.

I have had it, TWICE!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:54:52 PM EDT

Maggot therapy. They will eat all the nastiness out....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:58:04 PM EDT
Sorry....only after.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:05:19 PM EDT
Yeah, I had it in the Army a couple of times. As has been said, elevate it if you can, and watch for the redness spreading.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:18:44 PM EDT
Yes.
I started my antibiotics on Thursday evening and by Saturday I was feeling better.

It was a few years ago, but it started on Monday and I just thought I had the flu as I was feeling sickly all over and I took a couple of days off from work, I didn't go to the doc until Thursday so the infection had a pretty good head start.

The Bells Palsy I got shortly after that is a different story.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:11:15 PM EDT
I had a big one under my right arm in the armpit last month. The thing drained for a good 5 minues after they cut it open. Then getting it packed daily, Yeeaaach!

I'll take "let's not do that again" for 100, Alex.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:31:47 PM EDT
I got it before. I think it would have healed itself. I felt the pain in the morning on Friday. Then afternoon I could not move my leg (it was on my quad area). Had fever all weekend...started to feel better by minday when i went to the doctor but it was still there and locally hot and I still had a slightly elevated fever so they prescribed antibiotics. Cleared up by wednesday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:54:43 PM EDT
Levaquin is quite strong. It is in the family of quinolones and is known to cross the central nervous system.
If you experience vivid dreaming, psych trouble, or seeing heightened colors etc.,... GET OFF OF IT and call the doc. It is also known to cause torn tendons in some people, and rarely disorders that can last such as anxiety.
Drink a lot of water and be careful.
Best of luck.
Heal fast.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:32:50 AM EDT
I've had it three times. In each case, I got a Z-Pak from the doc and it went away in 5 days or less.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:10:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Joyce:
Levaquin is quite strong. It is in the family of quinolones and is known to cross the central nervous system.
If you experience vivid dreaming, psych trouble, or seeing heightened colors etc.,... GET OFF OF IT and call the doc. It is also known to cause torn tendons in some people, and rarely disorders that can last such as anxiety.
Drink a lot of water and be careful.
Best of luck.
Heal fast.

So far the only side effect is that it makes me nauseous for about 3 hours after I take it. I feel better today. Fever broke. Aches have eased up a lot. Swelling and redness still there. I notice several people have had multiple bouts. Is this one of those things that once you get it you are more likely to get it again?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:24:09 AM EDT
MB, hope you feel better.

I don't know what it is, but my prayers are for ya.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:27:11 AM EDT
I had it once, after I accidentally stabbed myself in the thigh with a pencil. It actually wasn't that bad, I guess it was a minor case. 2 weeks on antibiotics, draining the pus daily, and it went away.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:49:00 AM EDT

. Is this one of those things that once you get it you are more likely to get it again?

This may help
www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic88.htm

so might the drugs reference for any drugs you might take.
www.rxlist.com Do not choose 'patient info' listed after entering the drug name, if you want the whole story. Choose instead,...side effects and warnings.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:07:53 AM EDT
hijack

When I was in the Army we had a guy who would get a spider bite and/or cellulitis every time we went out to the field and he'd end up spending the spending the rest of the time in the barracks.

Every time. It was a running gag. We'd start a pool on how long he'd last.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:18:16 AM EDT
Cellulitus... sounds like it could be related to the dread twin maladies of Dunlap's Disease and Cottage Cheese Thighs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:27:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Cellulitus... sounds like it could be related to the dread twin maladies of Dunlap's Disease and Cottage Cheese Thighs.

No. Bacterial infection deep under the skin. Happens to skinnny guys too!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 7:42:40 PM EDT by Fenian]
I guy I know had it very bad last year...almost lost his leg, it was like one day away from them deciding to cut when they saw some sign things were getting better. It was so bad that at first that when he got to the emergency room, they thought he had necrotizing fasciitis.

Apparently, he'd had it for months, and had gone to the doctor once or twice. He ignored the doctors advice about taking care of it. I didn't see it, but my friend who did said it was black, nasty and putrid.

After about 3 mos in the hostpital, he came home...but then they found he had cancer (unrelated).

Top Top