Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 10:09:37 PM EDT
I'm on my second medication for it and it's still the exact same 3 months in.

I tried Losartan 100mg back in November when my BP was borderline 140/85 ish.

Three months later Dr checked it, exact same, changed me to Valsartan 160mg.

Checked it at Walmart and my home BP machine, exact same fuckin number except I'm tired and feel like a zombie in the morning.

Interwebs says they have to try 3 medications to diagnose resistant hypertension.

So I'm guessing I got one more when I go back next month.

Anyone had the same problem?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a cuff to check at home?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
valsartan and losartan are in the same class of drugs, called angiotensin receptor blockers.

if the initial drug didn't work, he could have added a diuretic, like hydrochlorothiazide, which is a common diuretic.

do you have any other medical conditions to worry about, like kidney disease?

edit - also, what is your age, gender, race?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried bacon?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally, with no lifestyle change, medication will only cover up the symptoms. Try figuring out what is causing the high blood pressure and and focus on fixing that versus just taking a pill.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.

I'm on a combo of two drugs,and they are upping doses to see if they can get a change.

Lisinapril tried to kill me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm on 320 mg of Valsartan and 10 mg of Amlodipine and it works fairly well.  A few months ago a communications error wound up cutting the dosage of both in half and I went to numbers at and beyond those you call out before I figured out what had happened.  Once I got back on the correct dosages my numbers came back to normal and acceptable.  Maybe you just need some dosage adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I took a few different combos of meds until I found the one that worked for me. I'm a constant 120/80 now. Eating better has of course helped. Mine is genetic and I'm relatively young at 30.

I'm on lisinopril amlodipone and atenenol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Resistant HBP isn't trying three different meds, its being on 3+ different meds at once and still have HBP, one being a diuretic plus typically an ACE inhibitor/ARB Blocker and a Beta Blocker.  If it gets to the point where you add pill 2 and 3, stagger starting the new pills, and be careful standing up, fainting is a thing

I've got it...it sucks, I'm on Metoprolol, Lisinopril, and Indapamide.  Family history of fatal strokes, and uncontrollable HBP back 3 generations.  If you end up with the diagnosis they'll start running an ass load of hormone panels looking for problems , you're getting a sleep study to rule our sleep apnea, if you're overweight prepare to be told not to be.  Also expect to give up alcohol, and salt.

It does get better though, if you can resolve some of the underlying issues.  I'm on CPAP for the apnea, I've been eating strictly Ketogenic to lose weight, and it looks like I'll be starting hormone replacement therapy in a few weeks.  Ideally I need to be working out as well, but the current cocktail of drugs is leaving me with no energy and  dizzy spells.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a cuff to check at home?
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you tried bacon?
View Quote
While that guy took it too the extreme, try a diet high in good fats, lean protein, and no sugar (limit carbs). Eat all the grass fed steak you want, eggs, chicken or wild caught fish, grass fed cheeses and butter, coconut products, nuts, and vegetables. Limit your fruit too only granny smith apples or berries. Anything else generally has too much sugar. Try that for few months and see where your BP is then....you probably won't need meds.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
valsartan and losartan are in the same class of drugs, called angiotensin receptor blockers.

if the initial drug didn't work, he could have added a diuretic, like hydrochlorothiazide, which is a common diuretic.

do you have any other medical conditions to worry about, like kidney disease?

edit - also, what is your age, gender, race?
View Quote
Nothing I know of. I do chew Grizzly. Lift 4 days a week, no drugs, zero alcohol, eat healthy 95% of the time (meat N veg) low carb/high fat. Could lose 20lbs but not obese. BP been high since I was 18.

39yo, male, cracka

ETA: 2 months in on CPAP
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you tried bacon?
View Quote
LoL I just read that. I was like fuccccckkkkk....
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm on 320 mg of Valsartan and 10 mg of Amlodipine and it works fairly well.  A few months ago a communications error wound up cutting the dosage of both in half and I went to numbers at and beyond those you call out before I figured out what had happened.  Once I got back on the correct dosages my numbers came back to normal and acceptable.  Maybe you just need some dosage adjustments.
View Quote
Do you have any side effects? Fatigue? Difficulty in the mornings?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
maybe a beta blocker ? how's your heart rate ?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Have the doc try something completely different, like Ziac, a beta blocker & diuretic combo.  And also bacon, BTW, I am not a doctor and I'm not your doctor.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
maybe a beta blocker ? how's your heart rate ?
View Quote
Was 74 when I checked. Been fishing with the boy for the last 4 hours. Walking, backpack, dippin Grizz
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm on 6 different pills to get it in control . Doxazoxin for prostate was a blessing it improves your stream and keeps you from waking in the middle of the night to pee AND it lowered my BP enough to get me off the Lasix (hated that diuretic Lasix). Keep tweaking it till they get it right.
Stick with it I had to see nephrologist to get my BP under control. He is actually a pediatric nephrologist but he is good (so what if Mickey Mouse is staring at me in the exam room)
STROKES SUCK! I feel bad I didn't press a coworker harder to get his meds right. He's off the job with paralysis barely can walk and I cant figure out what he is saying when he talks
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not that I notice but I tend to adapt to changes easier than most.  I'm 69 y/o and have certainly slowed down during the recent years when I've gone from no medications to what seems to have become a ridiculous amount.  I'm significantly less active and more careful.  I often wonder what would happen if I dropped all these pills from my life and went back to ignoring the healthcare profession like I did for several decades before I turned 65.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]
they have some new hypertension guidelines, now, that aren't the strict 120/80 stuff that they had before.
the JNC8 recommendations are

Key Points for Practice
• In the general population, pharmacologic treatment should be initiated when blood pressure is 150/90 mm Hg or higher in adults 60 years and older, or 140/90 mm Hg or
higher in adults younger than 60 years
.• In patients with hypertension and diabetes, pharmacologic treatment should be initiated when blood pressure is 140/90 mm Hg or higher, regardless of age.
• Initial antihypertensive treatment should include a thiazide diuretic, calcium channel blocker, ACE inhibitor, or ARB in the general nonblack population or a thiazide diuretic or calcium channel blocker in the general black population.
• If the target blood pressure is not reached within one month after initiating therapy, the dosage of the initial medication should be increased, or a second medication should be
added.
View Quote
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2014/1001/p449.html

various other sources reference the JNC 8 reccommendations also.
depending on who current your doctor is, or which organization guidelines are being followed, your doctor may be trying for lower pressures than what you have right now.

you might want to see if you can do an ambulatory 24 hr bp monitoring, to see if you actually have elevated blood pressure.

if you want to get your bp down, try switching to, or adding a diuretic added to your current meds.

some people don't like beta blockers, because, depending on the drug used, they sometimes have a side effect with sexual dysfunction.

as always, this is the internet, please consult with your doctor for professional advice, etc.

edit - cpap, I assume, is for sleep apnea? that is known to cause elevated blood pressures, that usually comes down once the apnea is controlled
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife's BP was  almost uncontrollable for yesrs, She is on home dialysis now.

Go get an in depth kidney
function workup by a nephrologist.

The earlier you catch kidney disease the better if kidney function is a problem.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LoL I just read that. I was like fuccccckkkkk....
View Quote
I do keto off and on. BP is good and they checked my cholesterol and it was great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes.

I'm on a combo of two drugs,and they are upping doses to see if they can get a change.

Lisinapril tried to kill me.
View Quote
It made me cough like a son of a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#23]
It took 2 drugs to keep it under control when I was 260+ (BP got into the 190/110 range) I cut calories way back and took up road cycling. I'm 169 now and I ride 3000+ miles a year ...and I still need 1 Amlodipine a day to keep down..Fortunately I got it under control before I wrecked my kidneys/had a stroke
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nothing I know of. I do chew Grizzly. Lift 4 days a week, no drugs, zero alcohol, eat healthy 95% of the time (meat N veg) low carb/high fat. Could lose 20lbs but not obese. BP been high since I was 18.

39yo, male, cracka

ETA: 2 months in on CPAP
View Quote
My wifes BP was goofy high from about age18 as well.

Get a kidney function check ASAP.  One of the things properly functioning kidneys do is regulate BP.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Try boner pills. It will work!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got done with a hellacious nasty squat workout. Absolutely smashed.

150/81.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I do keto off and on. BP is good and they checked my cholesterol and it was great.
View Quote
I'm not sure I'm in ketosis, even when I was trying I didn't show on pee stix.

I haven't had much over 15-20 carbs a day for a month now.

When I did Paleo the first time, my BP dropped so low I got dizzy for a week.

Now low carb has zero effect on me. I don't feel different, lose weight or have any effect on my BP when I go from low to medium carbs. My cholesterol was low on all counts last time I had a lipid panel pulled.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I'm in ketosis, even when I was trying I didn't show on pee stix.

I haven't had much over 15-20 carbs a day for a month now.

When I did Paleo the first time, my BP dropped so low I got dizzy for a week.

Now low carb has zero effect on me. I don't feel different, lose weight or have any effect on my BP when I go from low to medium carbs. My cholesterol was low on all counts last time I had a lipid panel pulled.
View Quote
If you haven't had over 20 carbs in a month you are for sure in keto.

Do you have awful taste in your mouth all the time? That's the easiest way to tell.

Are you eating enough fat?

I can go into ketosis in 2 days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I know a guy who lost his CDL due to high BP, nothing worked. Then he left his old lady and BP went right back to normal. How's your stress level?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I know a guy who lost his CDL due to high BP, nothing worked. Then he left his old lady and BP went right back to normal. How's your stress level?
View Quote
Not bad I don't think.

Be better if my BP would go down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top