Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2013 12:10:28 AM EST
I've been learning to ride on a 125cc Yamaha YZF R for the past 6 months and plan on getting my full licence this November.

Has anyone had a Triumph Daytona 600 or 650? If so are they reliable and good for a first 'big' motorcycle?

The particular one I'm thinking of getting.

Also considering Yamaha R6, Honda CBR600RR and Suzuki GSXR600.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:50:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2013 11:52:57 AM EST by Gixxersixxer]
I have a '03 Suzuki 600 but a friend has a Daytona 600 I've put a few hours on.

The low end torque of the Triumph is nice for commuting. It's a pretty streamlined bike and has good handling. My friend's bike has an electrical issue that drains the battery if he doesn't leave it on a tender if it's not ridden for more than a week.

I went up 2 teeth in the rear sprocket on my bike since I ride it daily April-October as a commuter bike.

Any current 600 sportbike can work as a beginner bike. It all depends on how much self control the rider has. My first bike a '93 GSX-R600. It had already been dropped a few times and I dropped it a couple times too. Don't go all out on a starter bike, get one you can still make mistakes on. Put a few seasons on it then sell it when you want something nicer. The Suzuki SV-650 is also a highly rated beginner bike and is pretty cheap compared to a 600SS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:08:36 PM EST
In the world of 6xx class Sport bikes, the Daytona rules.
Everything else is just trying to the best first loser

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:54:55 PM EST
I had a TT600 - the precursor to the D600/D650. The engine was the same (the Daytonas got better fuel injection programming and slightly different camming, as well), as was the frame and basic suspension setup. The TT's "soft" styling was criticized, so Triumph went full-retard on the origami styling for the Daytonas.

Handling and braking on these bikes are superb. Really, of that generation of bikes, they're par excellence. Reliability in general is very good. The old TT600 would cook stators, but it's much less prevalent in the Daytonas.

Comfort won't be good, but for this class of bikes, what is?

Low-end and midrange on the Triumph 600cc inline-four is pretty useless. You'd want to gear it down for a bit more usability, most likely. Fuel economy with stock gearing is surprisingly good, though. The 650 had a much more useful midrange than the 600s had. Find one if you can... not sure about GB, but in the USA, those things are rare as hens' teeth.

I think it'd be a great first "big" bike. You mentioned you have 6 months of road experience (the YZF-R in 125cc flavor is cool, but not sold over here), so you're likely good to go. Especially since rider training on that side of the ocean is a bit more thorough than what we get here. Don't feel bad about checking out a TT600, either - from what I've heard, they're common over there, and they are pretty good machines, and they should be pretty inexpensive, as well.

I really miss my TT. Threads like this remind me of that bike. It was much better as an all-round bike than either the Moto Guzzi or the Aprilia that replaced it...

Pic spam, because bike threads need pictures!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:39:20 PM EST
That is not a newbie bike. It is a race bike. If that's what you want, go for it. Just remember that it will do whatever you tell it to do, and it will do it very quickly.

Hopefully we'll see you at the Isle of Man TT in a year or two.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:59:15 PM EST
Thank you for all the helpful replies guys. You've convinced me, unless my friend with his ZX6R tries to sway me this weekend
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:02 AM EST
My wife has a Triumph Street Triple, which is just the naked version of the Daytona 675. First Triumph I've ever had, and I'm thoroughly impressed. Quality is totally there, fit/finish generally better than the japanese. I like bikes that have engines with interesting character, and this one fits that bill. Very smooth and easy for her to ride, and the transmission is the best of pretty much any bike I've owned (15 bikes since 2005).

Obligitory pic:

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:10:02 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Repeater:

Handling and braking on these bikes are superb. Really, of that generation of bikes, they're par excellence. Reliability in general is very good. The old TT600 would cook stators, but it's much less prevalent in the Daytonas.

View Quote

This happens occasionally in the 955s and 1050s as well. I haven't heard much about it in the newer engines

I'd love a TT or Daytona to go with my Sprint and Thruxton.
Top Top