Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 6:09:16 PM EDT
Just got done reading his first 3 books.. Awesome. I would like to see his interview on 60 minutes. If anyone has a copy drop me a line maybe we can work something out.

Any other recommendations..
When did his books go from fact to complete fiction.. I am guessing after the 1st?

Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 3:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Red Cell was semi-true. From what I've read there were some things that were still classified and were slightly altered to pass. The rest are in the Rogues One's words fiction based on truth. ????

They are  fun to read even though they have gotten fairly predictable. The next book will have a different co-writer so we'll see if there are any style changes. His business books and Real Team are good reads too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The first book, [u]Rogue Warrior[/u], purports to be non-fiction. [u]Red Cell[/u],[u]Green Team[/u],[u]Task Force Blue[/u], and [u]Designation Gold[/u] all are written as fiction.  All of his books were written "with John Weisman", whatever that means.

[u]Rogue Warrior[/u] was a good read (in fact, I'm currently reading it again) although it jumps around a lot, chronologically.  [u]Red Cell[/u] was also good, but from there on, the series started to get [i]very[/i]  formulaic, and some of the stuff in there is out-and-out wrong.  (Hooking up an encrypted phone to an unencrypted phone line will not, in fact, blow out all of the normal phones in the house because encrypted data is somehow more powerful than clear audio).  By the last book, it seems like he's making up for lack of plot by swearing more, or something.

-BP
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Regarding the first book's "nonfiction" status, a friend told me that the "trumped up bogus charges" against Mr. Marchinko were, basically, that he contracted with a munitions manufacturer to buy enough hand grenades to supply the military for roughly the next 200 years, at inflated prices. . . .

Anyone have any confirmation?? Can we buy 'em surplus?? [:D]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
i have all of the books, met the man at a book signing in detroit  that f---cker is intimidating, and the fact that he's not trying to act like a badass is even scarier. i have a tape called "red cell" the true story.  trade it to someone for a couple of thermolds....... well it was worth a try.
oh yeah..... IT'S MARCINKO..... pronounced like marsinko.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So, my brother hears there is a book signing by Dick Marchinko, and buys me a copy of Destination Gold.  He gets Marchinko to sign it for me, tells the guy that I am a fan, spend way too much on my toys and ammo, would he do the John Henry bit.  Marchinko growls, "Yeah, I'll scribble some bullshit in there for ya!"  And it was... Hah!

My daughter got me Task Force Blue the next Christmas, and my Dad got me an autographed copy of  Pegasus Bridge, by Steven Ambrose.  Hey, what a family!!  What can I say?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top