Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2005 8:16:55 AM EDT
Yeah, its happening.  Do you guys take preventatives?  What are the alternatives?  Buzz cut?  Medicine?  Natural remedies?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Yeah, its happening.  Do you guys take preventatives?  What are the alternatives?  Buzz cut?  Medicine?  Natural remedies?

The real question is who is not going bald.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Buzz cut and a fierce scowl.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
No. I'm out growing my hair.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, my hair has been thining since I was 18. I still have some, but not whole lot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a buzz cutt and generic minoxdil. Seems to be helping out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thinning out like an anorexic
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#8]
What really sucks is that the more my hair on my head thins, more hair sprouts up everywhere else on my body.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been going grey since I was 12. I am 16. I act too old for my age. That has got to be it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What really sucks is that the more my hair on my head thins, more hair sprouts up everywhere else on my body.

It's called erosion....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm going bald.  Doesn't bother me, so I'm not doing anything to try to counter it.

I do the buzz cut thing, since I think it looks better for the remaining hair.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Propecia

Disclaimer on the medicine:

In clinical studies for PROPECIA, a small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects, such as less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, or a decrease in the amount of semen. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men and went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA because of them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Started losing mine at 18...the great thing about going bald is ...you get more head
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I would try the buzz cut, but my eyebrows are so fricken bushy...it looks odd with really short hair.  It'll look more odd with no hair.  I wear a hat, but I cant always do that because of work/interviews.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You might try a good bottle of Nix and see if you can clear up that headlice problem!  Patty
j/k take a look at your mother's father.  does he have a full head of hair?  if so you're probably fine if not then it's only a matter of time.  Luckily most women care more about what goes on in a man's head and heart than how much hair is on the head!  But, FWIW I prefer a man who's balding on top to be very clean cut.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might try a good bottle of Nix and see if you can clear up that headlice problem!  Patty
j/k take a look at your mother's father.  does he have a full head of hair?  if so you're probably fine if not then it's only a matter of time.  Luckily most women care more about what goes on in a man's head and heart than how much hair is on the head!  But, FWIW I prefer a man who's balding on top to be very clean cut.

Patty

Actually, I think I take after more of my dad's father than my mom's.  Regardless, both have the 'Larry' look (from the 3 stooges)....  Yeah, I knew it was inevitable but Im only 26
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not, but my dad has been for some time now. He has been taking Propecia and it has made a HUGE difference for him. I don't know about any ill side effects though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Actually, I think I take after more of my dad's father than my mom's.  Regardless, both have the 'Larry' look (from the 3 stooges)....  Yeah, I knew it was inevitable but Im only 26

Yes but you inherit male pattern baldness from your mother's father.  I would recommend going to a stylist and having your eyebrows trimmed to match your top.  You can just call it going to the barber to sound more manly.  Be very concern if she starts talking waxing!

Patty
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Yes but you inherit male pattern baldness from your mother's father.  I would recommend going to a stylist and having your eyebrows trimmed to match your top.  You can just call it going to the barber to sound more manly.  Be very concern if she starts talking waxing!

Patty

Yeah, I was thinking about that.  My dad has a short haircut and has big brows and gets em chopped, but you can tell they are trimmed.  Not that its bad an all, but they do grow back faster than the rest of his hair...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Dude,

I understand how bad it sucks at first to realize you are going bald.  I was a senior in high school when I realized I was going bald and going fast.  Keep it cut short.  I went from clean cut short, to buzzed: number 3, then a number 2 guard, then a number 1....  I went with no guard at all for a while, now I Bic it ever 2-3 days.

If it's any consolation, my wife says she wouldn't have married me if I weren't bald (and she's a hottie), so just conentrate on the important things, don't wear a baseball hat everywhere (unless it's for protection from the sun), and you will become more confident - which is more important than having hair.

Good luck man!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Bald free and no signs of balding
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#23]
buy a set of Wall clippers.  $30.00.
about once a week give yourself a trim.
set the guard on what ever feels good that week.  #2 is not as "traumatic" as #1

i would go #2 on the eyebrows.  unless you want to look like R. Lee Ermey

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
buy a set of Wall clippers.  $30.00.
about once a week give yourself a trim.
set the guard on what ever feels good that week.  #2 is not as "traumatic" as #1

i would go #2 on the eyebrows.  unless you want to look like R. Lee Ermey

Got the clippers (Whal) and the wife cuts the hair.  Now I gotta take the plunge on the short hair.  Just got it cut last night, but not buzzed.

ETA: Wahl, not Whal
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted: Yeah, I was thinking about that.  My dad has a short haircut and has big brows and gets em chopped, but you can tell they are trimmed.  Not that its bad an all, but they do grow back faster than the rest of his hair...

I'd have them done, they'll last longer and look better.  My Grandfather has the whole bushy eyebrow thing going and he shaves them about once a month.  He looks like an idiot for the first few days, looks all right for about a week, looks very ungroomed for a week and looks like he's sprouted his own forrest for another week and then he starts the process over again!

Patty
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Clippers with no guard once a week.

I’ll be damned if I am going to medicate myself to re-grow hair.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Some of us have already gone

SG
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Patty

I wish that was true patty. My mother's father passed at 82 years of age with more hair than I have had in a while. Now his brothers were all bald, so maybe he was an exception. But me and several of my cousins are losing our hair with age.

I shave mine, I'm trying to get all of the ones that are retreating down my back.

96Ag
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine snuck up on me.  I was about 23 and looking at my high school yearbook.  I noticed my hairline wasn't where it used to be.    I'm 27 now, and I'm definitely receding, but very slowly.  I haven't changed much in the last couple of years, though, so maybe it's stopping.  (yeah, right)

I have no idea what my mom's dad looked like.  He died about the time I was born, and he'd been divorced from my grandmother for a long time before that.  I'll have to ask my mom if she has any pictures.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Well genetics is a fickled friend 96Ag.  You might talk with a doctor to rule out other causes than male pattern baldness but sounds like you have a good self esteem.  My heart goes out to men [my husband included] that have lost their hair but only because I'm so vein that I would hate to loose my hair, not because I don't think men can be attractive with a bald spot.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#31]
God only made a few perfect heads. The rest of em he gave hair.

I went from  a high and tight to a high and bright.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#32]
nope
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well genetics is a fickled friend 96Ag.  You might talk with a doctor to rule out other causes than male pattern baldness but sounds like you have a good self esteem.  My heart goes out to men [my husband included] that have lost their hair but only because I'm so vein that I would hate to loose my hair, not because I don't think men can be attractive with a bald spot.

Patty

Yes I learned in genetics 301 that it is indeed a fickle thing. I did ask a doctor and he said that unfortunately genetics was the cause, but hey my wife likes me bald.

Really likes it

96Ag
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Hair is over rated.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Clippers with no guard once a week.

I’ll be damned if I am going to medicate myself to re-grow hair.  

ditto
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
No. I'm out growing my hair.

Is that singular or plural?  

I started loosing mine at about 17.  When I got into my 20's I started getting it cut with clippers starting at a medium guard.  I kept having the barber go to more shallow guards but I could never quite get up the balls to shave it.  Then one weekend I just did.  Used one of these:
Head Blade

The thing was I went to work on Monday and no one notied

Anyway other than the occasional sunburn, I like it better than when I sort of had hair.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#37]
nope. full head of hair here (though I'm only 24), but Grandpa's (mom's dad) got a full head of hair, and even at 76, he has fewer grey hairs than my own dad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top