Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2001 11:17:48 PM EDT
Where do you live in Alaska, or where have you been while in Alaska.   What did you do in Alaska, or want to do.   Anyone fish or hunt while in Alaska.   Anyone a police officer in Alaska.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm from Anchorage.  I've been up to Prudhoe, the haul road, Circle, Fairbanks, along the Parks Hwy and Denali, Paxson and Tangle lakes, Chitna, all around Mat-su, ANC, and Kenai pen., and Juneau, Sitka and Glacier Bay.

Only hunted ducks.  Are you a cop?
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Never been there, but will love to someday.  I heard it's a beautiful state.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
i lived in Denali for a while, photographed wildlife, fished and snowboarded. it is BY FAR my favorite state! you full-timers are lucky!

i will go back someday to see/hear the wolves and maybe a caribou hunt. the 2 pics in my photo album were taken from a twin-engine cessna on our way to Denali (mtn.) and my signature pic is me dropping in on a 14er.

i asked a local how cold it gets in the winter, and he told me "some days you WISH it was 40 below!"  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Howdy Raven.
I am from Atqasuk, a small village on the North Slope just south of Barrow.   I am a police officer, and have been for three years.   I do not hear much from people in Alaska on AR-15.com.   How has the fishing around Anchorage been this summer?  
Fattym4
When did you live in Denali Park area?   I lived in the area for about ten years before moving up to the Arctic.  Talk about cold, winters here can get -50's and -60's with wind chills in the -80's and -90's area.   Why did you ever leave Alaska?
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I am from Eagle River, about 10 miles north of Anchorage.  Alaska is very beautiful.  Very gun friendly and a dog owners paradise.  Everyone takes there dog with them wherever they go.  Raven, maybe we can hook up sometime and do some shooting.  I was just at the Birchwood range in Chugiach last Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Did a "Touch and Go" in Anchorage on my way to a duty station somewhere. It was a very long time ago. Have always wanted to go there for a fishing trip. Is Alaska a "Free Fire Zone" ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I moved from Wyoming to Alaska 18 years ago, I live a few miles out of Kenai and spend a great
deal of my time on a family homestead(In laws).
I work on the off-shore platforms, the North Slope and occasionally around home. I don,t hunt much anymore and I fish quite a bit, saltwater and fresh. Were getting into the best part of the year as our first freezes start in early Sept which gets rid of the bugs, we can start picking berries and cutting wood and next thing you know out come the snowmachines.
I really like it here, sometimes I go outside for a while, but I get homesick pretty quick so I'm never gone long.
Have a nice evening,      Rabon....
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I left Fairbanks in '96 after five years. I miss the place alot! While I can still get out to the bush here, I really miss the winters in Alaska. Most people I've run into always think of going in the summer. The winter (at least in the interior of Alaska) is dry, cold and beautiful! Northern Lights, snow that's perfect for snowshoeing, skiing, building shelters. I've never loved winter anywhere else as much as in that great state! I always found the politics interesting too, with the AIP standing toe-to-toe with the status quo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Doorgunner84 is in the Nat'l Guard up here, and Mindhunter just moved from Fairbanks to a rural part of Arizona.

Thanks for the offer magnum.  I sold off my sport utility rifles and only have a target rifle and Marlin semi in .22 now.  I'm going to California on business next weekend, but if the weather looks good maybe I'll meet you at Birchwood.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in Wasilla, and work up NE of Delta Junction on the Goodpaster River.

I was born here, grew up here, have no real ties to the lower 48 and am just as native as they are (don't ask me about subsistance!).

I have lived all over - Anchorage, Peters Creek (before it was there!), Homer, Anchor Point, Eagle River, Adak, and now Wasilla.

Hell, I was at the Birchwood range on Saturday, too.  I like to live on the lefthand side of the 200 yard range.

I used to take my AR to work and leave it by my desk to dry fire out the window, but GUN CONTROL was instituted once we got geologists (AKA rock lickers or pebble pimps) on site.      
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I live in Wasilla, and work up NE of Delta Junction on the Goodpaster River.
View Quote

Lemme guess: gold miner?  Looking your handle/worksite, that's what I reckon [;)]

That's a long commute.  Do you fly in each day or 2 weeks on/off?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fattym4
When did you live in Denali Park area?   I lived in the area for about ten years before moving up to the Arctic.  Talk about cold, winters here can get -50's and -60's with wind chills in the -80's and -90's area.   Why did you ever leave Alaska?
View Quote

I think you answered your own question.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#14]
You guessed it - I work at the Pogo mine.  Work 2 weeks on, 2 off.

If I show up somewhere looking kind of scruffy, I can indignantly reply," I'm not unemployed, I'm a miner!!!"

I love this kind of schedule.  I hate the idea of working 9-5 ever again.  I make a decent hourly wage, and OT makes up about 60% of my paychecks.  To make a dollar of OT work in town, you are busting ass for 8 hours that day, and told to go home the instant the emergency is over.

It does get cold.  Two winters ago there was a long stretch of sub -40 temps with no direct sunshine for a few months as we are in a valley.   ...and my company car was a 4 wheeler.      

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fattym4

View Quote

[:D] nah, i had to leave to continue my not-so-glorious college career back east - i'm a snowboarder first and foremost, and if i could have stayed for the winter of 1993, i would have! BTW, i drove back from Denali Natl. Park to upstate NY in 5 days! talk about the red-eye express! i'll definately post before i go up there, it would be nice to see a gun-friendly face!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I lived in Unalakleet for my freshmen through junior years of high school.  My parents were teachers at a private mission school that closed up due to reduced demand.  If they would have stayed one more year I would have gone to college in Anchorage of Fairbanks and today be....  Funny how life turns out, isn't it?  When I tell people that at 15 years old I carried a 6" S&W 29 everyday in the bush they look at me like I'm either lieing or crazy.  I even recall occasions of bringing our guns to school and leaving them in our lockers so we could get out hunting quicker.  Things sure are different down here in the lower 48.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
My grandmother and great aunt both homesteaded up there; on and around Big Lake.  Two lakes up there are named for them Marion and Louise.  My father was stationed at Elmendorf right after the war and was policeman in Anchorage during the 50's. He left in the 60's for California back when it was still spelled with a "C".  I commercial fished for crab in the early 90's in Prince William Sound, Aleutians, and Bristol Bay.  My business partner is a fishing guide in Sitka.  I have been in and out close to a dozen times.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]

I lived in Anchorage for three years, on Elmendorf Airforce Base.  My pop was in the Navy, so thats why we were there.  It is a great place.  Probably my favorite place to be; And I love the cold, maybe because of my Finnish decent.  Wildlife is great, scenery and nature is wonderful.  You can't beat the fishing, and lots of people take special trips to Alaska just to hunt.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]
My boss thought it would be fun to send me to Alaska for a month to punish me for being a bad man on the job.  He thought that the cold winter weather would freeze my hot head.  Nope, had to much fun up there.  I am trying to piss him off again so I get TADed to Anchorage again.  Need to go back to the Bush company again!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Spent the summer at the Tangle Lakes area which is located about 120 miles east of Denali National Park.  I was out in the bush every day taking fisheries surveys on the lakes, rivers and potholes in the area.  Saw lots of ol' Griz,
caught a grayling on every cast, blasted a bunch of ptarmigans(?), and managed to go on a artic squirrel genocide every time they got in my grup.  

Had a great time.  All I can say, if you like to hunt and fish, you'll love it there.

Spambo
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey Pogo,
I'll be graduating in December w/ a BS in Geology. Try to get those pinko rock lickers fired, so I can get a job up there. I know its not too realistic, but it would be fun to have an AR, or any other gun, to pop some mung when the work is done! Is it a company policy, or do they just whine about it?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I visit my son a couple of times each year, and make a point of experiencing each of the seasons.  My kid has lived in Fairbanks/Northway (mostly Fairbanks) for the past 14 or 15 years.  He's into old Winchesters and I'm getting into ARs.  We both like to hunt and fish so we either go north of the Yukon River (moose) or out to Northway (moose and fishing)...  since he's married to a Northway girl.  I've driven the Parks Highway a few times, ran the Yukon River from Circle to Ft. Yukon and have duck hunted near (love them ducks!) the area of "old Tetla village" along with one of my son's native brother-in-laws.  Although I've seen or been to very little of AK...  I absolutely am in love with Alaska.  Say Pogo...  you don't happen to know my cousin Walt Hartley do you?  He's lived in Wasilla for about 30 years or so by this time.
If things work out, my plan is to retire to Alaska.
W
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in the army 11/B 2/17 INF Div at FT richardson Alaska. i want to go back but my wife ah nooo!

Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#24]
It is kind of neat - our company firearms policy is that firearms will not be discharged except in an authorized place for training, or in case of bear attack.  The only catch is that there is no authorized places, and AR's are not in the spirit of the rules.  So far, it is just a word to the wise not to push it.

A few days ago I opened up a screen door on my way to my shack with doritos and a coke in my hands, and saw a mangy black bear walking by 10' away.  I shut the screen door.  He was just passing through, and we lit a fire under him with a couple bird bomb shotgun rounds.

Never heard of Walt Hartley.  I have the same last name as an old local bolshevik legislator, and a guy with the same name is another nee'r do well.  Never met any of them.  It is funny - usually here if you read about a Joe Smith in the paper, it is the same Joe Smith you knew years ago.

As far as the geologist rabble around here goes, we see new faces every summer.  

I think I saw "No Dog Teams" Road in the Eagle River area once.  You learn to love or hate the neighbors with 20 dogs and doghouses in their suburban lot backyard.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Went to Homer,Seward and Denali. Hard to descibe in words.  Favorite state.  Need to move there. Land of the free, home of the brave.
You natives have it made.  Especially with that Reverse tax payment deal.  Getting paid to live there, what a concept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top