Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2009 5:05:32 AM EST
This

Sounds like it'll be the closest anyone's come to pushing its way into the iPhone-cornered market.

I'm curious what the price tag will be on this thing. If they want to get their foot in the door it's going to have to be priced at least the same if not less than the iPhone 3GS 16GB.
Right now I have my sights locked in on the iPhone but since this thing is coming out in a week or two I have time to check it out. I love going to the store and playing with the phones so I'm definitely going on a mission to finger f**K thins one as well.

The reviews and really just about any news about this thing is pretty scarce.
I just hope they don't overload it with crap like every other phone. The biggest appeal for me with the iPhone is how uncluttered and complicated the interface is with the iPhone. All of the other ones I've played with are more like a Windows PC where there seems like a bunch of steps to get to an app. I might be exaggerating but none of them are as simple as the iPhone.

Anywho... anyone else?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:11:13 PM EST
nobody?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:15:14 PM EST
No app store...no want....
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:16:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
nobody?

HTC makes nice phones. But I like my BB's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:16:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By fosters:

God forbid a device that does not control YOU.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:16:57 PM EST

It has the Google Apps store.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:18:03 PM EST
From what I've heard so far, it's pretty good. Not going to be an iphone killer, but should do pretty well for verizon. If you can wait, there are some pretty solid rumors that Verizon will be getting their own version of the iphone, signs are pointing to an announcement during next year's WWDC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:20:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By schizrade:

nobody?

I think this is made by Motorola. It'll have a hard time going against the iphone just because the iphone is already established.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:20:32 PM EST
10,000 apps ready to go by launch day it might be interesting, in about 8months i will be getting a new phone have the Omnia now looks like this may be it once V2 comes out. Not a big fan of touch screen only phones anymore.

The Droid is supposed to be as thin as the iphone with a removable batter and a keypad, If Verizon keeps the GPS from lockdown and allows for tethering with out having to by their data cable..it spells win in my book
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:22:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By madmathew:
Originally Posted By schizrade:

nobody?

I think this is made by Motorola. It'll have a hard time going against the iphone just because the iphone is already established.

Funny, first link took me to an HTC phone. It is Moto.

In that case, FAIL. RUN.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:22:37 PM EST
It isn't the ipod/iphone hardware that impresses me all that much. It is about the software. Some of the apps I have are so damned useful.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:24:52 PM EST
Shit-ton of pictures and info available here: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/23/motorola-droid-preview/
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:59:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2009 3:12:16 PM EST by pathfinder74]

Originally Posted By mrclark2:
From what I've heard so far, it's pretty good. Not going to be an iphone killer, but should do pretty well for verizon. If you can wait, there are some pretty solid rumors that Verizon will be getting their own version of the iphone, signs are pointing to an announcement during next year's WWDC.

From what I've read Verizon seems to have more or less moved on with getting the iPhone if and when its AT&T exclusivity runs out. With the Droid campaign I would almost think Apple would tell them to "F" off. The Droid isn't one device but it's supposed to be a "series" of them. Ironically with all of the shortcomings they point out against the iPhone it sounds like it has its own share of them that iPhone has...

Shit-ton of pictures and info available here: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/23/motorola-droid-preview/

Nice... I missed that one. These are the ones I have seen

Is it me or does the phone look tiny in this guy's fingers?

And the gold bling button is kinda queer
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:10:00 PM EST
Its an Android phone, so it already has a huge app store available. I have a G1 and much prefer it to the iphone. I'm going to check out the N97 this week, but so far I think the Android OS is the best plus the fill keyboard is much better than the all touch screen. The only thing the iphone has going for it is that Apple managed to patent multi touch before anyone else. Well, hype too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:18:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2009 3:23:29 PM EST by pale_pony]
I am eagerly waiting for anything that can replace my iPhone. There is absolutely NO reason why something with 32gig worth of memory should not act just like a hard-drive when plugged into a Windows platform. Also, I don't think that I need Apple's permission to "jailbreak" my phone, or make my own ringtones instead of "buying" them from iTunes. I bought it, I own it, software and all. I didn't "buy" the hardware to have to "lease" the software from Apple and fuqq anybody who says otherwise. I shouldn't have to pay Apple for anything other than purchased apps.

The thought of giving even a penny to a lib-tard like Steve Jobs makes me want to puke, and I can't wait to ditch his damn phone either.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:33:14 PM EST
I'm excited. I'll be buying one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:57:53 PM EST
I wish there was something similar to the iphone that ATT had.

I'm kinda stuck though. iphone looks neat and has some cool features, but i'm not sure I can get away from my crackberry just yet. This curve has done me well for over 2 years, but i'm not too excited about hte 9700 thats coming out either.

why no android stuff on ATT? Is it simply because of competition with the iphone?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:04:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
I am eagerly waiting for anything that can replace my iPhone. There is absolutely NO reason why something with 32gig worth of memory should not act just like a hard-drive when plugged into a Windows platform. Also, I don't think that I need Apple's permission to "jailbreak" my phone, or make my own ringtones instead of "buying" them from iTunes. I bought it, I own it, software and all. I didn't "buy" the hardware to have to "lease" the software from Apple and fuqq anybody who says otherwise. I shouldn't have to pay Apple for anything other than purchased apps.

The thought of giving even a penny to a lib-tard like Steve Jobs makes me want to puke, and I can't wait to ditch his damn phone either.

You can make your own ringtones.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:34:13 PM EST
Let me be perfectly clear about this: MOVING PARTS SUCK. One of the BEST things about the iPhone is that moving parts
(buttons and switches) are kept to an absolute minimum.

Flips break. Sliders break. Keyboards break, buttons get sticky. That all sucks. I consider them to be reasons NOT to buy a phone.

I wish Motorola well on their Droids but I for one don't give the tiniest of shits about the "advantages" that the iDon't ad touts for it.

DVD quality video...yeah, BFD. I barely even use the camera in my iPhone. I've downloaded TWO apps for my iPhone, a flashlight
and Bump.

I like the iPhone because it has excellent performance as a PORTABLE PHONE. I can frankly live without any of the other neat gadgets
that it tries to be. They're cute but I'm mostly after a simple phone that works well. The rest are just toys that I don't need, although
it IS nice to be able to get email via the phone. That has been useful, admittedly.

I'm not against technological gadgets, in fact, I LOVE them. My working life can practically be DEFINED by technological gizmos that
I work and play with almost every single day. I'm an engineer/technician and I love this shit. But I also know what works and what
fails, and keypads and sliders on phones are what fails. Gimme me my iPhone and don't bug me about it!

CJ

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:36:57 PM EST
Eh, I've signed up for the email about them. I'll take a look.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:40:24 PM EST
They are announcing it Wednesday, and the release date in November 6th.

The Droid is the first phone to run Android 2.0. It has killer specs, and will be the best Android Phone yet. However, next Spring there's going to be even better ones. Verizon will have an Android phone that doubles as a personal WiFi spot. So you will be surrounded by a 30' bubble of 3G Wireless win!

It will be mine!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:46:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By carbine_red:

IIRC, Apple put a stop to that with the latest update of the iPhone OS...which is why I have not updated my OS. Not only that, I believe that they made it so the updated OS would reject all of your home-made (non-purchased) ring tones.

If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:54:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2009 4:55:30 PM EST by EXPcustom]
Ever time Verizon claims to be coming out with a "iPhone killer" it turns into a "iDisaster" for Verizon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:04:21 PM EST
I have been following it but I have no doubt that it will not be as successful as they are making it sound.

I was hoping that that Zune HD was going to be the answer to the ipod Touch but they seem to have blown that too.

I am not opposed to Apple products per se but I hate AT&T and will not support them.

I am not even a fan of Verizon's data rules either. 5GB is just a stupid low data limit for a product that is being touted as a media rich tool.

I am thinking about getting the MiFi and a Touch and then Skype and go to town.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:06:40 PM EST
I don't care that it's an "iPhone killer". I care that it isn't WiMo, it's verizon, and it's got a physical keyboard.

Verizon setting this up as an iPhone killer is silly and distracting.

Based on cmjohnson's response, though, I suspect it's touching some nerves.

My last 6 phones have been sliders with keyboards - I returned my iPhone within a couple weeks. Couldn't stand the lack of a keyboard.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:07:32 PM EST
This is not the droid you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:13:02 PM EST
I'm holding out for an HTC Leo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:19:14 PM EST
The android platform is a very good competitor to the Apple's Iphone.

I have a FULL install of linux on my cellphone that can run along side of the android OS , so as long as I can find a program that will have specs that suit my phone, I can install it.

Iphone has some good apps, however every single one of them can be ported to the android system quite easily, however there's less of a profit motive for the android due to a lower user base. The droid may fix this as it would be one of few options available to Verizon users who have really had limited choices for smartphones.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:31:35 PM EST

From what I've heard so far, it's pretty good. Not going to be aniphone killer, but should do pretty well for verizon. If you can wait,there are some pretty solid rumors that Verizon will be getting theirown version of the iphone, signs are pointing to an announcement duringnext year's WWDC.

From what I've read Verizon seems to have more or less moved on withgetting the iPhone if and when its AT&T exclusivity runs out. Withthe Droid campaign I would almost think Apple would tell them to "F"off. The Droid isn't one device but it's supposed to be a "series" ofthem. Ironically with all of the shortcomings they point out againstthe iPhone it sounds like it has its own share of them that iPhonehas...

Nice... I missed that one. These are the ones I have seen

Is it me or does the phone look tiny in this guy's fingers?

http://media.boygeniusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/motorola-droid-preview-5.jpg

And the gold bling button is kinda queer

My understanding is that the recent "idont" commercials are motorola's doing, not verizon's. And the rumors that I've heard are leaning very strongly towards the iphone coming to verizon late next year.
Agreed about the gold button, dont know how somebody let that get on there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:35:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2009 6:35:51 PM EST by MadeByMattell]
Wife will probably be getting one, so I've been doing a lot of research.
Trying to compare what I need my iphone to do to see if it'd be worth switching.
I'm an open source fan and tired of the jailbreaking game with apple.
I found that the music player on android doesn't have the capability to set the rating for a song.
Can't find any 3rd party music player that does either.
So, until that changes, I'll be sticking to my iphone 3G.

I tend to rate lots of songs during long flights, so not being able to set the rating stars and then update the main files on the computer after I return from a trip is a dealbreaker for me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:40:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:42:19 PM EST
I wish cell phones would regress to be more like early 90s style
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:51:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Let me be perfectly clear about this: MOVING PARTS SUCK. One of the BEST things about the iPhone is that moving parts

Flips break. Sliders break. Keyboards break, buttons get sticky. That all sucks. I consider them to be reasons NOT to buy a phone.

I wish Motorola well on their Droids but I for one don't give the tiniest of shits about the "advantages" that the iDon't ad touts for it.

DVD quality video...yeah, BFD. I barely even use the camera in my iPhone. I've downloaded TWO apps for my iPhone, a flashlight
and Bump.

I like the iPhone because it has excellent performance as a PORTABLE PHONE. I can frankly live without any of the other neat gadgets
that it tries to be. They're cute but I'm mostly after a simple phone that works well. The rest are just toys that I don't need, although
it IS nice to be able to get email via the phone. That has been useful, admittedly.

I'm not against technological gadgets, in fact, I LOVE them. My working life can practically be DEFINED by technological gizmos that
I work and play with almost every single day. I'm an engineer/technician and I love this shit. But I also know what works and what
fails, and keypads and sliders on phones are what fails. Gimme me my iPhone and don't bug me about it!

CJ

Iphone's an expensive phone if you've used just two apps. If you want a phone that's just a phone, I can't think of a worst one to get than the Iphone. Not saying it isn't a good smartphone, because it is a good smartphone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:04:24 PM EST

IIRC, Apple put a stop to that with the latest update of the iPhone OS...which is why I have not updated my OS. Not only that, I believe that they made it so the updated OS would reject all of your home-made (non-purchased) ring tones.

If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

I haven't tried to make any new ringtones since my last update. However, all of the ringtones I have made still work and I am running version 3.1.

I like the iPhone for the same reasons cmjohnson does. Good talk time, simple design, good email, and the best Internet I have used on a phone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:44:07 PM EST

Sounds like you already gave Steve Jobs a little more than a penny if you have the iPhone.
WTF? You can't make your own ringtones? So if you have mp3's on it you can't use one as a ringtone? That blows.
You can use it like a hard drive like you can with the iPod? That blows.

DVD quality video...yeah, BFD. I barely even use the camera in my iPhone.

Good points. The buttons on my phone are failing... BUT... unless you have it open while you're eating fried chicken or pizza the buttons are pretty well protected when the phone is closed. The big glass touch screen has it's own obvious risks. Plus the screen gets all greezy from touching and putting it on your face.
Sliders have always scared me though. Go to a store and play with the floor models that have been hand jobbed daily and you will more than likely find the hinges/sliders are getting all loosey goosey. I went to a T-Mobile to check out a Sidekick. I picked it up and the thing was practically falling apart. Yeah... way to set the stage for a sweet sale... have a falling apart piece of crap.

I take decent enough pictures with my current phone and I'm sure the iPhone will be an improvement so if I bought an iPhone I wouldn't knwo what I'm missing by having an Android. Same with video. It's not the set of a major Hollywood film.

Originally Posted By EXPcustom:
Ever time Verizon claims to be coming out with a "iPhone killer" it turns into a "iDisaster" for Verizon.

I think that goes for pretty much every "iKiller". But who am I to say... I'm sure that guy that bought a Zune is very happy with it.

My understanding is that the recent "idont" commercials are motorola's doing, not verizon's. And the rumors that I've heard are leaning very strongly towards the iphone coming to verizon late next year.

I guess if they can pull off the guiltless by partial association then they'll be good to go. And if Mac doesn't take issue with it then more power to them for spreading the wealth.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:44:52 AM EST
Just got this
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:59:18 AM EST

It has the 'Market'. You have access to damn near any kind of app out there. In many cases identical to the apple ones. I've got more Apps available than hours in the day to play around with.

IMHO, I like the Android phones better. I have a T-Mobile (HTC) G1 which is a year old model, but I like better than iPhones. For one thing, I can have multiple apps running. With the Droid, you'd get the 2.0 OS which looks to be spectacular.

Also - hardware wise, I really like having a keyboard and the Droid has one and is essentially the same size/wt as an iPhone.

I'm very tempted to jump to Verizon just because of this one phone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:00:44 AM EST
iPhone will still be my phone of choice. I prefer GSM devices.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:06:40 AM EST
Not interested in a phone that 'does it all.' Much happier with a normal phone and a wifi enabled 'other' device like an ipod touch.

WMWifiRouter lets me use my HTC Hermes as a WAP to share 3G internet with any wifi device I feel like, and when I'm not, I'm not wasting battery power running wifi on the phone, or a cellular radio on my mp3 player.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:10:40 AM EST

and Bump.

CJ

having worked in corporate IT I agree completely. You have no idea the number of sliders and flip phones I've seen broken. as soon as I saw the pic I said to my self "Slider and Keyboard=FAILure"
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:35:07 AM EST
While AT&T's 3G service is spotty outside of most urban areas and their call dropping can be irritating they don't cap your data on the unlimited data plans. Verizon's data plans are $30 per phone and you have a 5GB cap and after that it is $1.99/MB. It does not take to many trips to Youtube and ARFCOM in a month to top the 5GB limit, not to mention that if you use the VZ Navigator, all that data counts too.

I too have decided to avoid an all in 1device right now. I am now trying to decide which "media" device to get.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:43:27 AM EST
I wonder if the rep that originally rejected the Iphone for Verizon still works there ?

you all do know ATT was Apples backup after Verizon turned down the iphone right ?

the Iphone was ATTs saving grace... strange that it was a handme down from Verizon since they could not come to an agreement with apple over control of the phone..

wonder how much money they lost over that little pissing contest .
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:56:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By cluster:
I wonder if the rep that originally rejected the Iphone for Verizon still works there ?

you all do know ATT was Apples backup after Verizon turned down the iphone right ?

the Iphone was ATTs saving grace... strange that it was a handme down from Verizon since they could not come to an agreement with apple over control of the phone..

12% because that is the iPhone's market share.

The iPhone is not a business phone, Blackberry has a very strong grasp on that market and Verizon is right there with them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:05:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:

The iPhone is not a business phone, Blackberry has a very strong grasp on that market and Verizon is right there with them.

Really? I work at a major hospital with >10k employees. The vast majority of physicians use iPhones. Administration is considering the next contract for their executives for iPhones. When I switched from BlackBerry, I get my emails instantly...as opposed to 15 mins later.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:05:47 AM EST

ya...noob
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:10:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:12:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:26:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2009 7:29:47 AM EST by NoHarmNoFAL]
Originally Posted By Apollos:
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:

Really? I work at a major hospital with >10k employees. The vast majority of physicians use iPhones. Administration is considering the next contract for their executives for iPhones. When I switched from BlackBerry, I get my emails instantly...as opposed to 15 mins later.

I guess it is up to 13.3% now but yeah, it is really low and that percentage does not differentiate between business and personal use. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10308173-37.html

I work for a large bank and they use Blackberries exclusively through Verizon and they have several thousand of them and they are not interested in changing from what I gathered. They are developing custom apps for them in house too.

There was a big dust up a few weeks ago about how Apple lied about their security on the iPhone and someone actually tried verify the security and it was not secure at all and Apple finally admitted to it, lots of companies at that time took them off of their exchange servers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:44:15 AM EST

i'm sure it was not even enough for them to care.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 5:44:01 AM EST by Bowman1]
Oh I am following it... Right now, I have tabs for engadget, boygeniusreport, phandroid, and gizmodo open on my browser to get my daily Droid fix. Here's the general consensus so far:

* Sounds like Google had a lot of input on the design of this phone. Motorola may have built it, but it sounds like this is Google's baby.
* Best smart phone on Verizon. (That's not saying much)
* Blazing fast phone
* Android 2.0 is very cool
* Phone's default message for incoming calls, text messages, and emails is a robotic voice saying DROID! Thankfully this can be changed.
* Landscape physical keyboard sucks. Scrolling/touchpad thingy is a bad idea on a touch screen phone.
* Voice command system rocks
* Turn by turn directions are free and they work, but the interface is a little on the complex side.
* Wi-Fi ready
* Cost of ownership looks about identical to the iPhone
* Some stores will be opening at 6 AM on Friday. I will be in line at one of these stores.
* Sony-Erickson Xperia X3 is announced tomorrow. That one is worth checking out too. We'll see on the 3rd.

Oh yeah, one more thing... This is not an iPod killer. It's a nice phone, but no iPod killer.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:24:46 AM EST
I doubt there will be an IPOD killer in our near future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top