Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/26/2004 6:00:12 PM EST
Anyone ever used this service to check up on a cars history? Is it worth the 20 bucks they charge when buying a used car?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:10:15 PM EST
It's decent enough, interesting info, but look around a bit as there are frequently free offers for it.
My pickup has 320,000mi on it, and thanks to some chain-store maintenance slacker recording the mileage improperly (85k instead of 285k), my report says *possible speedometer fraud*

interesting info and certainly worthwhile for researching accident history.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:11:03 PM EST
To some degree its good. It has a car back guaranty if they are incorrect. The problem arises because only REPORTED claims and police reports are entered. If some schmuck wrecks his car but has someone fix it with money from his own pocket there is no entry. It will tell you if it was a lease car or a rental unit. That saved me a bunch of problems when I was going to buy a used car. The car was pristine but they forgot to tell me it was a rental car and that it had seen more ass then the HO I dated in med school. So its good for somethings but take the information with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:15:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 6:16:25 PM EST by DriftPunch]
On two separate times, I did the 30 day unlimited thing... It seemed to work fine. The greatest benefit was being able to verify the story I was told. Carfax will tell you the date and city of each title transfer since manufacture. Their records go back a reasonable amount, but don't expect the entire history of '62 Buick to be available.

My motorcycle was raised from the dead. In other words, it has a restored 'salvage' title. I tried its vin with the goal of proving that carfax would come back saying it was a totaled vehicle, but it rejected the vin. It doesn't look like they do bikes...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:34:37 AM EST
I would never buy used without a carfax report. Even with it's minor limitations
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:38:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:41:34 AM EST
yes....and yes

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:46:11 AM EST
Ran two cars that I know the history on, one mine, one a friends. Both times, Carfax was so far off it was funny. YmmV
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:59:52 PM EST
If buying from a used car lot or private sale, I think it is worth it.
If buying a used car from a new car dealership, ask the dealer to provide you with one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:06:43 PM EST

Take my word for it; its just a marketing tool to make people feel good about buying a used, beat up lemon.

I've been in the auto industry for years now and there are so many things that wont show up on these carfaxes that its become like a joke. I've personally had hundreds of vehicle branded "lemons" through the courts, then out of curiousity checked with Carfax later, only to not be able to see that the vehicle was ever bought back by the manufacturer. We've actually contacted Carfax about this and they didnt have an answer for us.

But hey, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and get one...just dont blame me when all sorts of stuff start to happen.
Top Top