Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:43:17 PM EDT
My wife's grandmom used to work for a upholstery company so we just got this enormous singer sewing machine thats apparently the industrial model and can handle nylon and cordura etc...Of course my first thought after assuring myself of my manhood was "What the hell can i make with that thing?" I got to thinking about all my extra pairs of BDUs and various clothings made of nice thick waterproof fibers..... Now i began thinking about how i have several panels of IIIA Point Blank Kevlar just laying around. SO question is do any of you guys know how to sew a plate carrier or something? Does anyone know where i can go to get useful info?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:50:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 7:50:47 PM EDT by drrocket]
A sewing machine is just another power tool. RRRRRRRRRR!

I made some very lightweight back packs for 5 of us, Normally they are $200 each and I made them for less than $15. Google ultralightweight camping, and sewing your own camping gear

Go to a Joannes store or other sewing store and ask the sales lady for help. Show her what you want and they'll be happy to show you how.

Try Seattle Fabrics (use Google) to purchase some really tough material, including Cordura 1000 ballistic cloth.

Parachutes for rockets may be next.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:54:17 PM EDT
A lot of guys who build that stuff are parachute riggers. Paraclete is run by one.

Buy a book called "Poynter's Manual". It's the rigger's bible and it will have specs on any webbing or material you might use plus all the stiches and thread to use for each application.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:55:13 PM EDT
I've looked closely at some of the plate carriers like the Weesatch or whatever the hell it is called and they do not seem all that hard to make. I want to expand on that idea and make a full on over the head type vest with velcro or nylon straps on the sides. Nothing too intensive or complicated.

Something like this is what i think i may try for:
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drrocket:

Go to a Joannes store or other sewing store and ask the sales lady for help. Show her what you want and they'll be happy to show you how.

Try Seattle Fabrics (use Google) to purchase some really tough material, including Cordura 1000 ballistic cloth.

Have fun.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WindGapAR15:
I've looked closely at some of the plate carriers like the Weesatch or whatever the hell it is called and they do not seem all that hard to make. I want to expand on that idea and make a full on over the head type vest with velcro or nylon straps on the sides. Nothing too intensive or complicated.

Something like this is what i think i may try for:
www.max-jp.com/4degrees/Vests/images/tag,hpc-top.jpg

You need a bar-tack machine to make that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:59:38 PM EDT
well i mean something along those lines. I am not norinco afterall.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:28:30 PM EDT
My grandma gave me a very nice sewing machine (Pfaff...the Glock of sewing machines). It can sew thicker things like nylon and even thin leather.

I looked closely at the gear I have for ideas on what stitch patterns and types are used for strength, and got a lot of ideas. I made some stuff with webbing and nylon, and even made a Samurai outfit for Halloween. Got major points for hemming some pants for my girlfriend.

My sister was mad that I got the sewing machine instead of her, so I gave it to her...but it's just another tool, and you can do some cool stuff with it.
Top Top