Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 1:07:20 AM EDT
My mom gave me a bunch of DVD's to watch, and Somewhere in Time was in there. Always heard it was a chick flick so I never watched it.

Actually a pretty good movie for a love story, sort of a neat sci-fi slant to it. Very weird seeing Christopher Reeve and not being able to shake the image of him now, well, before he kicked off. And, Jane Seymour was damn beautiful...really classic beauty. Never saw her in much other than "Dr. Quinn".

Anyway, for those of you manly men who are comfortable enough in your sexuality to admit seeing this vaginated movie, I have a serious time-travel question that's bugging the crap out of me.

**Kind of a spoiler**

Where did that damn pocket watch come from!? In the present time, he gets it from her. In the past, he leaves it behind and she keeps it. Sooooo.....where did it originate? Dunno why that stuck out at me, but it did.

That nonsense aside, if you haven't braved it, might be a good flick to watch with the wife. Cheers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Jane is a very beautiful woman.  Damn liberal but still beautiful!  Her first work was in a James Bond movie and she was a real babe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah it's one of my wifes favorite movies....I thought it was kinda dumb but watchable when there's nothing else to watch.....I'll usually just bust out my mini/AR  to clean while my wife forces me to watch it with her.....she'll be talking to me and I'll just say 'yeah--a huh--I don't know--what??--okay'
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
That movie has got to be one of the best "Movies to watch with a Woman" movies of all time

I'm only 6 ft tall and I've got strawberry "Blonde" hair but, by the end of the movie all my Lady friends think I look like Chris Reeves
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw it when I was in my mid teens. It was a good rainy saturday afternoon movie to watch with a GF.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
That movie is one of my favorites in the "sleeper" catagory, chick flick or not. There is a lot to like in the movie. It's romantic, it features Jane Seymour - that alone makes it worthwhile - and it has a fantastic sound track (Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini). Then there's the weird time travel premise for the story that adds to the intrigue.

The soundtrack from that movie is "the" music for my wife and I, kinda like some couples "song" when they first met.

Since I don't have anything to prove to anyone regarding my "masculinity", I could give a rat's ass what anyone might think about my liking the movie. There's no doubt that the chicks really  like it, and any man with even half a brain should check it out for that reason alone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
When my 1st  son was born, my mother got him a rather large merry go round.  When you turn it on, it plays the theme from the movie.  Never knew it until my mother researched it, ran out and got the DVD.  
Its deffinately a sleeper, but not quite the tear jerker that Sparticus was (yes i balled @ the end of that almost as much as the end of Braveheart)
As for the pocketwatch question...now I have to go back and watch the flic again.  I would suspect, to be a corny sci-fi buff, he's cought in a weird loop, the watch can't enter or leave any place in time...kinda stuck in a continuous pattern.
Sounds like bull....I need a beer and and a fooball game now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Jane Seymour may be a brainless tree-hugging liberal, but she is one of the most beautiful women ever to walk the planet.

IMO, she's a close second to Lesley-Anne Down, who simply leaves me breathless, especially in North and South.

Vapors, baby! VAPORS!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw bits & pieces of it a long time ago, & thought it was awfull. Boring as hell, & stupid as well. I dissliked it so bad, I can't bear to think of giving it a second chance, & I can't remember what it's about, & that's ok with me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the whole watch thing reminds me of Star Trek IV:

Spock : [in response to Kirk pawning his antique spectacles from Star Trek II] Excuse me, Admiral. But weren't those a birthday gift from Dr. McCoy?
Kirk : And they will be again, that's the beauty of it.

And speaking of Star Trek...Christopher Plummer did a great job in Somewhere in Time, but I liked him better as General Chang and Captain von Trapp.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
ha, that's my mom's favorite movie of all time.

It's not bad, all in all. Like the 80's version of "Titanic" (I liked Titanic as well)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top