Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 10:01:39 AM EDT
Turns out my house has a pool, and I want to redo it.

It's been filled in with dirt, so I need to dig it out.  Then I need to refinish the interior and I was thinking of using This product for the interior

I am an indutrial electrician, so I can do the electric myself.

Then check all the pipes and drains, have them scoped.

Can I do the new kool-deck myself?  Anyone know any reputable places that I could buy the kool-deck from?  

Any of y'all tried to tackle a project of this magnitude or can offer any pointers?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming you have a gunite pool.

If you are serious, there are two ways to go, a 2 part epoxy paint (see the Ramuc website)  the best ones will go 8 years with proper prep.  Power wash, scrub, acid etch, neutralize, power wash, dry, moisture test, then 2 coats at certain temperatures, certain timing.

the alternative is a proper resurfacing with a skim coat of gunite, best left to a professional.

I went the epoxy route in my last house, made it as far as the final prep step, and sold the house, gave the paint to the next guy as a freebee.

Materials cost for the epoxy way was 1200 in paint, 200 in materials, brushes, mixers, acids, neutralizers etc. Don't  forget an organics repirator, a GOOD one. Total time was 2 weekends, sunup to sundown, by myself.  Already owned a powerwasher.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm assuming you have a gunite pool.

If you are serious, there are two ways to go, a 2 part epoxy paint (see the Ramuc website)  the best ones will go 8 years with proper prep.  Power wash, scrub, acid etch, neutralize, power wash, dry, moisture test, then 2 coats at certain temperatures, certain timing.

the alternative is a proper resurfacing with a skim coat of gunite, best left to a professional.

I went the epoxy route in my last house, made it as far as the final prep step, and sold the house, gave the paint to the next guy as a freebee.

Materials cost for the epoxy way was 1200 in paint, 200 in materials, brushes, mixers, acids, neutralizers etc. Don't  forget an organics repirator, a GOOD one. Total time was 2 weekends, sunup to sundown, by myself.  Already owned a powerwasher.

I have the pressure washer (2700 PSI)

How do I know if it is Gunite?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]
There are two basic types of inground pools, vinyl liner, and gunite.  You won't know until you dig and expose some surface.

Vinyl liner is sheet metal walls, coverd by a several mil thick vinyl one piece liner.  If you have this type of pool, once you make sure the walls are still structurally sound, you pop in a new liner.  Fairly easy job if the walls are intact, and the floor is compacted and smooth, but not a job for a do-it yourself unless you have a lot of help for the positioning and placement, and maybe have seen it done once or twice.

Gunite is what most people think of when they see a concrete surfaced pool.  Gunite is basically sprayed at high pressure onto a rebar framework, and then smoothed and floated very much like concrete.  It shoots out of a nozzle like a firemans hose, and then stays where it is put.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top