Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2006 8:56:12 PM EDT
The reason I ask is because I have given serious thought that I want to move on with a career. I am not sure though if there is any contractual obligation to give a 2 week notice. I have gone through any and all papers that I have and can not find anything stating that it is a company policy.

I know Arizona is an employment-at-will state so I just want to be sure as far as policies go.

Also, I do not want to get into why I would not want to give a two week notice. It would personally be less stressful for myself and my family.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an Asst Mgr, but I have known several that have just up and quit with no notice
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
unless you've got a REALLY good reason, a gentleman will always give 2 week notice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine was the head manager of a local WalMart and he just quit with no notice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah so long as youre leaving on good terms give 2 weeks.  If they screwed you bad tho then I wouldnt feel obligated.  But you have your reasons so whatevs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not trying to burn any bridges but things have gotten bad. I would prefer to save myself the headache, as I am sure most of you know some of the people who work there do not have class...to say the least.

I have already been offered a position with another company making significantly more money as well as DOING SOMETHING I LIKE!!!!!!

Also, this company offers tuition reimbursement so I can pursue my MBA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a sweet change go for it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The reason I ask is because I have given serious thought that I want to move on with a career. I am not sure though if there is any contractual obligation to give a 2 week notice. I have gone through any and all papers that I have and can not find anything stating that it is a company policy.

I know Arizona is an employment-at-will state so I just want to be sure as far as policies go.

Also, I do not want to get into why I would not want to give a two week notice. It would personally be less stressful for myself and my family.

Did you sign a contract that included such an obligation?  Presumably, you would know.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
unless you've got a REALLY good reason, a gentleman will always give 2 week notice.

My policy is that I will reciprocate the termination policy of the company if they choose to fire me.  If they give notice or a compensation deal, they get notice.  If not, fuck them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My policy is that I will reciprocate the termination policy of the company if they choose to fire me.  If they give notice or a compensation deal, they get notice.  If not, fuck them.

Fuck that.  If I quit, I'm not cutting my employer a check for severance pay and accrued bonus!!!  And I have it in a contract!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

what the hell does being a gentleman have to do with doing what is best for you?  I say this again.  Companies do what is best for them and you must do what is best for you.

I remember you asking about this before.  Give your 2 weeks already if you want to quit.  The sooner you give it the sooner you can leave.  If you decide to leave before the 2 weeks ends than so be it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what the hell does being a gentleman have to do with doing what is best for you?  I say this again.  Companies do what is best for them and you must do what is best for you.

a gentleman is courteous, even in the face of discourtesy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is my problem. I am a gentleman but not stupid.

I know it is JUST wal-mart but I've learned that there may be contractual obligations before resigning from a position and if these procedures are not done correctly there may be extreme consequences.

I did not sign a contract with Wal-Mart to answer the previous question.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is my problem. I am a gentleman but not stupid.

I know it is JUST wal-mart but I've learned that there may be contractual obligations before resigning from a position and if these procedures are not done correctly there may be extreme consequences.

I did not sign a contract with Wal-Mart to answer the previous question.

Read my edit above, but ask this when you put in your notice or when you talk to your superior about quiting.  I don't see how there are any "contractual" obligations when you work "at will".  The only place I have heard of that is a police department or the military.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Go fuck yourself!

why thank you
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.  If I quit, I'm not cutting my employer a check for severance pay and accrued bonus!!!  And I have it in a contract!

I apologize for being unclear.  What I meant is that if  company is willing to give me 2 weeks notice before firing me so that I can go get a new job and not have a lapse in incoming paychecks due to being unemployed, then I will give them notice if I decide to quit so that they can maintain their production.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my resignation. I think it is short and sweet...opinions?

TO:  Wal-Mart, Inc.
DATE:  March 30,2006
SUBJECT:  Resignation

This letter is to inform you that an opportunity has presented itself that will be a strategic  career move. I hereby resign from my position immediately as an assistant manager with Wal-Mart, Inc.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goofus quits without notice.  Gallant always gives two weeks notice.
ROFL
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This letter is to inform you that an opportunity has presented itself that will be a strategic  career move. I hereby resign from my position immediately as an assistant manager with Wal-Mart, Inc.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX

that'll do the job
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX

It's short and sweet and the only thing that I think you really need. I would probably put my name on there instead of a bunch of X's though.

I put those there because I dont want just anyone to know my name
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's short and sweet and the only thing that I think you really need. I would probably put my name on there instead of a bunch of X's though.

I put those there because I dont want just anyone to know my name

So you work with a bunch of people and they don't even know your name?  

You guys are killing me! I will replace them with my name
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#26]
There are no contractual obligations with wal-mart in regards to termination. The only issue you will have is if you want to go back. I was a store manager for them and left, i did give 2 weeks notice, to enjoy life for awhile( 8 months off by my choice). I later got a job, 2 weeks ago, with another company and am enjoying the heck out of it.

Good luck to you and do what is right for you not the comapny you work for
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I always recommend giving 2 weeks notice unless you have major reasons to not do so.  And most companies hiring people like that because if you treat your old company right it implies you are going to treat them right.

You don't burn bridges, because it is going to take them close to two weeks to replace you.  Maybe you can train your replacement.  (Maybe a little faster at a Wal-Mart because they have enough employees they can likely replace you internally.)  Other companies usually can't replace people too quickly for a variety of reasons.

Blindsiding a manaager is going to make sure that in the future he isn't going to be giving a vary favorable reference, if he's ever called.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I apologize for being unclear.  What I meant is that if  company is willing to give me 2 weeks notice before firing me so that I can go get a new job and not have a lapse in incoming paychecks due to being unemployed, then I will give them notice if I decide to quit so that they can maintain their production.

I know - you were not unclear.  I was just being a wiseacre.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#29]
A guy quit were I worked because he left an interview thinking he had the job.  He called them to find out when he could start and they told him they didn't hire him.  Then he goes to his boss and says he'll stay.  Boss said 'You quit. Bye'.    ooops.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I would think your new employer would think much more of you if you did attempt to work a notice.

Wally World doesn't have to accept it though and can tell you to leave immediately.

Completely on the other hand, I was given my "we don't need your junky ass any more" notice at quitting time on Friday one time. No notice, no severance pay, etc. Just get your tools and leave 'cause we're cutting back.

Georgia is a right to work state or"at will" as you guys say and that means here you can quit at any time or they can let you go at any time - sans contract of course.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I was just in this situation, although not with walmart.

I got a better offer from another company, doing the same thing I do now, but for alot more money. Called up the owner of my current company, told him about it. He asked what my intentions were. I told him I wanted to take the offer, and was giving him my 2 weeks. He tried to make a counter-offer, etc. I told him that I just gotta see what the competition has to offer. He said hey, do what you gotta do, if it doesn't work out, give me a call. He said that he appreciates the offer of 2 weeks notice, but it wasn't necessary in my case, and that I still have my job waiting for me if I change my mind. Small companies rule.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was just in this situation, although not with walmart.

I got a better offer from another company, doing the same thing I do now, but for alot more money. Called up the owner of my current company, told him about it. He asked what my intentions were. I told him I wanted to take the offer, and was giving him my 2 weeks. He tried to make a counter-offer, etc. I told him that I just gotta see what the competition has to offer. He said hey, do what you gotta do, if it doesn't work out, give me a call. He said that he appreciates the offer of 2 weeks notice, but it wasn't necessary in my case, and that I still have my job waiting for me if I change my mind. Small companies rule.

As someone who has been on this Earth for forty-nine years, I say this: go with this advice about maintaining a good relationship with your current (and soon to be former) employer.

Your work record WILL follow you around in life.

You don't know what this new opportunity will guarantee, other than: at some point in the new economy, you will be seeking a new job. Companies get bought out, go under, or change their requirements. You will likely get laid off/downsized, no matter how good the new job is, and then you will be looking for something new. It's a fact of life.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#33]
OHOHOH, an opportunity for a Wal-Mart story.

12 years ago or so I was a sporting goods department manager at Wal-Mart.  I quit with no notice when in one day:
1.  I worked 15 hours (I was a college student, and skipped class)
2.  I got a call from the VA state police because my predecesser sold a gun illegally (denied on the NICS) and the store wanted ME to be the front person.
3.  The cash office didn't pay for our hunting and fishing licenses and the state wanted to suspend our ability to sell them.
4.  I left work (after arriving at 0600) at 2100 only to be asked to come in "a couple hours early tomorrow", meaning 0300.

I went back for my last check 2 weeks later.  Screw Wal-Mart.

That all said, I believe you should give 2 weeks notice whenever possible because it is the right thing to do.

Shooter
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#34]
depends on how the place treats former employees who have given notice.

at lot of places will give you the worst shifts and assignments and just treat you like shit after you give notice.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I always try to maintain good relations when changing jobs, because you never know. Most jobs I've moved on from have told me that they would take me back and I've always given at least two weeks notice. But it depends on the situation. My last job sucked so bad that it got to the point that one day, I just didn't bother going back. I called corporate HQ and told them to send my paycheck because I didn't even want to go in and pick it up. But that was an extreme situation, they were assholes. It would probably behoove you to give them notice if your new employer is willing to wait for that. If your new employer wants you to start right away, however, I wouldn't jeopardise that for my old job. It's Walmart, they shouldn't have any trouble replacing you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#36]
You are going to give two weeks notice because that is what YOU do as an employee.  It doesn't matter what the company does.  Take pride in yourself.

Don't burn your bridges.  You may have had some difficulties with Wal-Mart, but being spiteful won't hurt Wal-Mart.  It may inconvenience a manager, but it's not a good way to part.  You never know when you'll meet one of your former managers or workers, and they'll be responsible for purchasing from you or using your company's services.

Wla-Mart has been paying for your rent, food, clothes, etc for the past few years.  Don't begrudge that fact.  They didn't have to hire you, but they did.  "Honest day's pay for an honest day's work"

Good luck.

TO: Wal-Mart, Inc.
DATE: March 30,2006
SUBJECT: Resignation

This letter is to inform you that I hereby resign from my position as an assistant manager as of April 13, 2006.

I thank you for the chance to work at Wal-Mart for the past X years.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You are going to give two weeks notice because that is what YOU do as an employee.  It doesn't matter what the company does.  Take pride in yourself.

Don't burn your bridges.  You may have had some difficulties with Wal-Mart, but being spiteful won't hurt Wal-Mart.  It may inconvenience a manager, but it's not a good way to part.  You never know when you'll meet one of your former managers or workers, and they'll be responsible for purchasing from you or using your company's services.

Wla-Mart has been paying for your rent, food, clothes, etc for the past few years.  Don't begrudge that fact.  They didn't have to hire you, but they did.  "Honest day's pay for an honest day's work"

Good luck.

This letter is to inform you that I hereby resign from my position as an assistant manager as of April 13, 2006.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX

Lol, reminds me of a letter my brother left for an employer he had special feelings for:

Dear Cocksucking Motherfuckers,

I quit.

Yours Truly,
Troy
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Read my edit above, but ask this when you put in your notice or when you talk to your superior about quiting.  I don't see how there are any "contractual" obligations when you work "at will".  The only place I have heard of that is a police department or the military.

I can do that!?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Good luck.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX

Wrong, they have been paying for the work he does at the store. He earned his pay, it was not just handed to him.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I gave two weeks notice once.  Then they screwed with my schedule the next two weeks thinking (wrongly) that I would not keep my promise and work on the days before and after a holiday.  Needless to say, I did not disappoint them.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Go a head and give them two weeks notice.  You might get lucky and they pay you out and have you leave.  My company will do that if you are in a "critical" positions (translated, you could do them harm).  

I interview new employees if they tell me that they can start tomorrow and they are still employeed it tells me a lot about them and I generally won't hire them.

As for staff who give me two weeks notice, it is basicly a vacation as they wait out there time.  The company won't give you any thing important to do or any thing that takes a long time or requires follow through.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I always recommend giving 2 weeks notice unless you have major reasons to not do so.  And most companies hiring people like that because if you treat your old company right it implies you are going to treat them right.

You don't burn bridges, because it is going to take them close to two weeks to replace you.  Maybe you can train your replacement.  (Maybe a little faster at a Wal-Mart because they have enough employees they can likely replace you internally.)  Other companies usually can't replace people too quickly for a variety of reasons.

Blindsiding a manaager is going to make sure that in the future he isn't going to be giving a vary favorable reference, if he's ever called.

I agree completely.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Speaking from experience here, you want to give them 2 weeks notice. Your future employer might think less of you if you just up and leave. They will automatically assume that if you could do it to Wal-Mart then you could as easily do the same to them. Besides, most chain stores like Wal-Mart will opt to just let you go once you have given notice or ask you to train your replacement. Either way, don't burn bridges that you may need later in life. You will always need your work history to reflect what kind of good employee you are.

Just my .02 worth, take it for what it's worth...

BTW....greetings all, a lady newcomer to AR15.com
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#44]
2 weeks is hell and bad for morale.  You are not required to, and they are not required to pay you.  As soon as you give notice, you can be walked in 5 minutes.  

Get your ducks in a row and give them a week.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Didn't you ask this question two weeks ago??
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I have already been offered a position with another company making significantly more money as well as DOING SOMETHING I LIKE!!!!!!

Also, this company offers tuition reimbursement so I can pursue my MBA

SGC huh? Yeah, get outta Wal-Mart You probably wont regret it
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I can do that!?

??  

I was saying how you have a contract obligation when you are enlisted in the military.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#48]
2 weeks.  No exceptions, no excuses.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I  have always give 2 weeks ,only had one place to tell me to get out  the rest let me serve out the 2 weeks
My current job was a former employer ( he called me)
neverr burn bridges you never know what you might have to do in the futrue
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Give two week's notice.  I did it sneaky-like at this one place I worked at, though, 'cause I hated it.

I talked to the senior manager and was like "I want to at least get the ball rolling for such-and-such sort of advancement by this date (two weeks out) or I'm leaving."  Such and such didn't happen, so after the stated date, I stopped showing up.

Came by the next pay-day to pick up my check, they were like "where the heck have you been?" and I was like "remember a month ago, when I said 'in two weeks I'm leaving if I don't get xyz'? Well, I didn't get it, so I left."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top