Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2013 12:30:54 PM EDT
Toyed around with a 336 for the first time last year. Took it deer hunting.....once. Figured out that I prefer optical sights for hunting.

Anyway, I've thought about scoping it; I like the looks of scout scopes; I'd just go with a conventional scope but the mounts I've seen made it hard to get the scope mounted low enough for comfort, and far enough forward for proper eye relief - apparently nobody mounts Leupolds or other scopes with generous eye relief on a marlin 336; the mounts I've seen would require me to hold the thing like a girl in order to shoot it.

Meh.

So, anyway.....anyone ever put a scout scope on their 336?

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Irons for mine. Could not ever find anything worthwhile.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an old holo-sight on my .45-70
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I dunno, look into a handgun scope?   How about embrace the challenge?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Aimpoint Micro R1 mointed on an XS Lever Rail on my Marlin 45-70

My dad used the same rail on his Guide Gun but with a Leupold FX-II Scout Scope.

Both work very well. Not 30-30's but same idea

Pic of mine

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Then do it proper with a 2-7 or 3-9 of your choice.

If'n you just have to go SCOUT:

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Played with this idea a couple years ago, I abandoned it when I figured out the price of the mount exceeded the cost of the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
yep, i put a 1-4x scope on mine.  i didnt need it but i sure like it
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Deleted. Misread OP.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the XS Scout rail and their sights on my Marlin 1894 44 Mag with Leupold's 2X Scout scope on it. I haven't taken it hunting , because of lack of drawing tags, but I like the way it feels/shoots.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I put a 3x9 Bushnell on my 336CS.  It worked "ok."  I was 12 years old and didn't know any better at the time.  Haven't taken it out of the fun safe in nearly 25 years though.  It was replaced by my meat ax....a circa 1986 700 ADL in 30-06.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a scout scoped 1895.  Not the guide gun.
About the same thing, just a 45 cal hole in the end

I really like it.  Great hog gun
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Had one on a 1895GS.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]

I used weaver see through rings so the irons are still useful for up close business. with the cheek pad on the stock its pretty comfortable to use either.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Played with this idea a couple years ago, I abandoned it when I figured out the price of the mount exceeded the cost of the rifle.
View Quote
As it should when putting proper optics on a rifle.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No optics.  THE MOUNT.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 2-7 Leupold muzzloader on it that works great.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/BiggJohnson06/IMG_0025.jpg

I used weaver see through rings so the irons are still useful for up close business. with the cheek pad on the stock its pretty comfortable to use either.
View Quote

What mount is that?

I could pretty much put a vx-iii leupold on that with low rings and have eggsactly what I want, I think.

??

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently put an aluminum DNZ on my 336 XLR.  Worked great with a Leupold 3X9-40.

40 something eyes make the 'irons or nothing' chant seem 'tarded.  Now get off my grass!

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the Leupold scout scope on a Marlin 336. I have used this gun a lot and have killed close to 100 deer with it over the years. It has the XS mount. This set up is a joy in the field because you can carry the gun in your hand normally since the scope is forward. Also the weight of the scope out front makes the gun hang better. It gives you the ability to make fast up close shots but also gives you a little magnification and a cross hair for longer shots. It is OK out to about 200 yards if you can really see the target. Around here you probably can't see anything that far away.

The scout scope seems to be a love it/hate it thing with people. If you are cross eye dominant you can't use it. You give up some magnification but if you just trust the cross hair you will find that where ever it is your bullet hits there if you execute a good shot. You will need to have binos to evaluate deer since you can't do it through your scope.

If you scout a Marlin you will probably like it and find it will do what you want it to within it's range. The 30-30 round is powerful enough for any deer and hammers hogs and varmints too.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What mount is that?

I could pretty much put a vx-iii leupold on that with low rings and have eggsactly what I want, I think.

??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/BiggJohnson06/IMG_0025.jpg

What mount is that?

??

Its the EGW mount.

edit that one is the XS sight system rail. I have more than 1 marlin lever gun had a brain fart for a second there.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-bases/rifle-bases/marlin-1894-1895-336-308mx-lever-rail-prod23168.aspx
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Scout scope is the answer
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No optics.  THE MOUNT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No optics.  THE MOUNT.

Where are you getting $50 Marlins?  Sign me up for a few.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you are cross eye dominant you can't use it.
View Quote

Can I close my left eye?

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Haven't, sorry.  Always used the open sights.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been thinking of a tang-mounted peep sight for my Marlin 36RC (an old carbine), but I'm not sure the new Lyman #2 sights for the 336 would fit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Leupold M8 2x on my Guide Gun.  Would work just as well on a 336.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I put a red dot on one, but just used the receiver mounted weaver rail.  Mounted it as far forward as I could.  That setup was cold death under 125 yds.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can I close my left eye?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I close my left eye?

Yes. Just be aware that the field of view from a scout scope is limited relative to a traditional variable.

Or you can shoot left handed like I do. :)
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No optics.  THE MOUNT.

At the time, there was only one mount that needed gunsmithing to use.   $350
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can I close my left eye?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I close my left eye?

I don't know.  I am in Memphis so you are welcome to shoot my gun. It is at the hunting camp now but I will bring it back in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
yep, i put a 1-4x scope on mine.  i didnt need it but i sure like it
View Quote

+1

BTDT, was a great white tail deer rig
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't know.  I am in Memphis so you are welcome to shoot my gun. It is at the hunting camp now but I will bring it back in a couple weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I close my left eye?

I appreciate the offer. Would take you up on it if I was closer to Memphis.

I may just grab one of these weaver scout rails; the problem then is that I have to go buy a $200-$400 scope.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Like others have mentioned, it works for some people and not others. I put the XS scout mount on my Marlin 336 and a 2.75x scope. It works and is a good mount, but I just prefer the more conventional closer scope location, since I'm used to it from all my other rifles.

I like the light and compact weaver 1-3x scope on a conventional mount on these rifles.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No optics.  THE MOUNT.

Probably the Ashley Outdoors Ching Ring.  It was an expensive proposition since it entailed turning down the barrel and refinishing (at least on a bolt gun).
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#37]
XS rail and Leupold scout scope.......

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have the XS Scout rail and their sights on my Marlin 1894 44 Mag with Leupold's 2X Scout scope on it. I haven't taken it hunting , because of lack of drawing tags, but I like the way it feels/shoots.
View Quote

Must be nice.  My mid 80's Marlin 1894 44 magnum didn't work with the XS rail.  Like not even possible to mount the rail.  And emails about the issue went unanswered.

Paladin
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a nice old model 30A that has a weaver rail mounted on the receiver. It still sports the original 4X32 Marlin scope it came with and shoots nice, tight groups to this day. It's one of my "do not sell" guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm still pondering this.

I'm also considering getting on ebay and grabbing a 70's vintage redfield scope - maybe a 1.75-5 or 2-7 - and trying to go for the retro '70's look. Would be quite functional in the woods, too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top