Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 4:56:28 AM EDT
My boss at my day job has decided he wants to have something like a Shoot N See target, but doesn't want to pay their price.  He wants to make his own.  It seems like the answer is a piece of bright paper w/ a coating.  Have thought about just spray painting the paper to see what happens.  

Has anyone tried this?  What works?  What doesn't?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:58:46 AM EDT
Spray paper with bright paint. Coat with wax. Spray with flat black paint.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:00:05 AM EDT
I really have no idea, but my guess would be that it's some kind of light plastic coating, underneath a target-marked piece of black tissue paper, or something very light.

Bullet hits target, heat causes tissue paper to burn a little bit wider than the diameter of the bullet, plastic stretches somewhat as bullet passes, and reshapes to slightly narrower than bullet diameter.  Result is exposed yellow on a black target.

Just my guess, though.  I've never given it a shot (get it?) but I'd think making them this way would be more expensive than just buying them.

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:06:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 5:12:35 AM EDT by Makarov]
I am not trying to be a smart ass but is the cost of S&S targets so prohibitive that people really feel the need to roll their own?

OTOH- My complaint w/S&S taargets is that the target area is so small. I have introduced a lot of new shooters with my trusty .22 and IMHO immediate feedback is vital for new shoorters to keep their interest and to correct common mistakes. That and also because MY groups are what most of you would call "patterns"

ETA- how 'bout this;

Use an orange crayon and color an entire sheet of paper then paint with a simple water based flat black paint. Enough of the paint should flake off around the POI to flag the hit. I seem to remember a Kindergarten art project that used this method.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:10:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Makarov:
I am not trying to be a smart ass but is the cost of S&S targets so prohibitive that people really feel the need to roll their own?

OTOH- My complaint w/S&S taargets is that the target area is so small. I have introduced a lot of new shooters with my trusty .22 and IMHO immediate feedback is vital for new shoorters to keep their interest and to correct common mistakes. That and also because MY groups are what most of you would call "patterns"

I don't think they are that expensive, but my boss asked me to look into it.  I personally find it an interesting concept, so it's worth pursuing as knowledge if nothing else.  I'm thinking it might be cool to make a big B27, Smurf, or Q Target into a huge shoot n see target on occasion.  Essentially we have two reasons.   1) My boss wants to save money.  2) The idea intrigues me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:21:54 AM EDT
I use the orange marking paint alot in my landscaping bussiness to mark out planting beds.  Ive been thinking about  painting some paper with the orange (it is flat orange when dry ) and then spraying some flat black on it. Ill try one with a black semi gloss paint also.

Im not doing much right now  and Ive got all of the paint  so Ill try  it out and shoot it with a pellet pistol,  I will report back with pics later.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:23:21 AM EDT

Use an orange crayon and color an entire sheet of paper then paint with a simple water based flat black paint. Enough of the paint should flake off around the POI to flag the hit. I seem to remember a Kindergarten art project that used this method.

This should work. You can use some type of black ink to paint over the top.  Looks like you will need some type of wax coating between the color layer and the black top layer. Also, use some cover weight paper. Like 100lb cover stock or higher.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:23:40 AM EDT
I havent tried it.

Bright orqnge poster board. Mix black paint with dishsoap. Paint poster board.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:48:30 AM EDT
My thought was to place a piece of aluminum foil onto a surface and spray-paint it black.   It should look like those bullet strike stickers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:50:37 AM EDT
buy them in bulk, you get them a lot cheaper.  thats what i do.  you can find them on ebay.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:15:12 AM EDT
Probably if you got a roll of wax paper and sprayed black paint on the waxy side it would work. Shoot and see targets seem to be made of paper coated with yellow plastic and then a layer of paint that rubs off easily.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:30:31 AM EDT
Hire someone and shoot at them, Have them point to where they got shot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:23:16 AM EDT
I know the kids that I teach to shoot love these targets, well those and the Terrorist Targets that look like Osama Bin Laden holding an AK, the kids like shooting him in the balls
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:23:26 AM EDT
Use yard sale/house for sale sighns. Paint flat black and use red or yellow for a bullseye. Shot will show up as white or whatever color your sighn was.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:57:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 12:03:14 PM EDT by nj0ywatch1np0rn]
1.) Get cardboard and cut to size, You can use white cardboard or brown cardboard with white or yellow paper over it. If your weird, you can use purple paper.

2.) Get some Saran Wrap––I use the "stretch wrap" we use at work for wrapping pallets. I like that mostly because its free. , Just stretch it a bit and tape it on the back.

3.A) first black square–––– Spray paint it, preferably with flat black paint. When you paint it, the shrink wrap gets a little loose from the chemicals of the paint. As the paint dries, it gets taunt again.

3.B) second square––-this is a target thats been shot. See the white showing through? The bullet breaks the paint and the shrink film because the paint made the shrink film brittle.––-make sense?

4.C) third square––-after shooting the target, paint it again! Unless your like me and able to put the next bullet in the exact same hole, its going to make another "easy see" where you shot it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:08:19 PM EDT
I just use your dog.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:09:40 PM EDT
Watermelon
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:13:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BlackOp:
I just use your dog.

Well not all of us can be police officers .
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:53:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nj0ywatch1np0rn:
1.) Get cardboard and cut to size, You can use white cardboard or brown cardboard with white or yellow paper over it. If your weird, you can use purple paper.

2.) Get some Saran Wrap––I use the "stretch wrap" we use at work for wrapping pallets. I like that mostly because its free. , Just stretch it a bit and tape it on the back.

3.A) first black square–––– Spray paint it, preferably with flat black paint. When you paint it, the shrink wrap gets a little loose from the chemicals of the paint. As the paint dries, it gets taunt again.

3.B) second square––-this is a target thats been shot. See the white showing through? The bullet breaks the paint and the shrink film because the paint made the shrink film brittle.––-make sense?

4.C) third square––-after shooting the target, paint it again! Unless your like me and able to put the next bullet in the exact same hole, its going to make another "easy see" where you shot it.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_0870.jpg

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:04:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skillshot:
Originally Posted By nj0ywatch1np0rn:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_0870.jpg

Brilliant!

+1

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:12:20 PM EDT
Wax paper with flat black spray paint.
Top Top