Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2008 5:08:10 AM EDT
Well if you haven't, you probably haven't read many books on VN or POW's in general.

My father and uncle both served in VN several times. I had heard my uncle had received the purple heart and silver star in VN. I asked him recently for the citations on them being that I wanted to read what he had done and save it for the family albums.

I got them yesterday and was surprised to see his purple heart award info. The army apparently just sent out a list once a month (in the early years of the war, probably daily lists later) with those authorized to receive the purple heart. My uncle's name is on one in November 1965. When I was reading the names on the list (there are no specifics unfortunately), I saw the name James G. Gritz, Captain, Infantry, assigned to Detachment B-52 in the 5th SFG (Abn), 1st SF.  With so unusuall a name, I know it had to be the Bo Gritz I had read about in many books on VN and Special Forces and subsequent adventures.

I am proud of my uncle and dad for their service but thought it interesting that a name I had read about many times pops up on an award list with my uncle (he was not a SF person either). The list contains all branches. My uncle's silver star came in 1968 as a helicopter pilot.

For those of you who might have weak netfu, Gritz website is  www.bogritz.com.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to guess almost all of us.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You should have come to an Oklahoma City gunshow sometime in the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember him from SOF Mag where he went to Vietnam and brought out all those POW's.  No wait...........

I still remember the pic of him and the silenced Uzi.

jd1
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
*No endorsement implied*

I've had dinner with him when he was on the campaign trail, he attempted to intervene on my supervisor's behalf just after the first Gulf War (he married into a notorious tax protester family, and got neck deep into it), helped him load his plane on the tarmac, got an autographed book from him, got called out personally at a campaign rally (in a good way, of course), and have heard him speak on quite a few occasions.

His talk show on shortwave is extremely boring.

He has been accused by many of being a total flake, and I can't dispute that at all.

He has this annoying tendency to latch onto any group that seems sympathetic at the time, then rhetorically stab them in the back whenever they have exhausted their usefulness to him (that's what flakes do).
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Bo's brother and nephew worked at a machine shop next to the gunsmithing shop I worked at many years ago.

The whole family was
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I've not heard that name in years. He used to have a talk show in the late 90s early 2000s. I  seem to recall his show was filled with all kinds of conspiracy stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I met him at a gun show once and wanted to buy a copy of his book, Called to Serve but he had sold out. He told me that if I went ahead and paid him the $25 and provided my mailing address he would mail me a copy.

That was in April. By the end of June I had written off my $25 as a loss. Imagine my surprise when around the middle of July when I received a copy of the book in the mail, opened it up and found that he had waited until July 4th to autograph the book before mailing it to me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]
He was supposed to be one that could find Eric Rudolph or get Eric to come out from his hiding in the mountains here.

Decorated Veteran - a little wierd in his views.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn't he the one that the Feds sent up to Ruby Ridge to try to talk Randy Weaver down?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I met him at a gun show once and wanted to buy a copy of his book, Called to Serve but he had sold out. He told me that if I went ahead and paid him the $25 and provided my mailing address he would mail me a copy.

That was in April. By the end of June I had written off my $25 as a loss. Imagine my surprise when around the middle of July when I received a copy of the book in the mail, opened it up and found that he had waited until July 4th to autograph the book before mailing it to me.

I'll have to admit that it is seldom you find an author that will take the time to write a  meaningful note when he autographs his book.

My edition of Called to Serve reads "(GySgt D) Thanks for your service to our nation!  We've been blessed as 'Amer-I-cans'.  Remember your oath! Together, we'll win!  Forever your brother!  With you 21 Dec 91   BG"

I still have my campaign T-shirt that sez "God, Guns, Groceries, Gold, and Gritz."

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The tribute to Hartzall is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top