Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2004 8:32:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 9:08:24 AM EST by hepcat85]
How was it? What's recommended (don't say the steak you assclown!) How about the bill? What are we talking Soup to nuts?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:33:09 AM EST
Its excellent. The beef there is a higer quality than you can buy at a grocery store, and it aint cheap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:33:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:35:42 AM EST
It's good shit. I try to hit it a couple of times a year at least. Expect to spend at least $120 per couple, and that's if you limit yourself to one drink or so apiece.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:35:46 AM EST
Great place for a steak,

If you have to ask on price..............don't go

If I remember when the wife and I went there a couple years ago it was $125.00 with out drinks
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:36:39 AM EST
I didn't care too much for the one here (Portland).

I took a couple of Army bud's and My GF last year and though the steak WAS very good, it wasn't THAT good compared to the $$$ I spent feeding everyone. I'm a steak "Geek" though so maybe it's just me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:37:01 AM EST
Yummy and expensive!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:38:37 AM EST
Very good, it aint cheap but true fine dining rarely is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:39:59 AM EST
Great food. Kinda pricey.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:40:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
It's good shit. I try to hit it a couple of times a year at least. Expect to spend at least $120 per couple, and that's if you limit yourself to one drink or so apiece.

That's (1) cocktail, appetizer, Soup, Salad, beef, sides, dessert runs about $120 WITH tip?

Just trying to gauge it here fellas.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:40:59 AM EST
Went there for my brother's birthday. 5 of us. Bill was $470. Food was excellent.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:42:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Is this the one Hannity raves about?

Yes
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:47:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 8:48:19 AM EST by GUNGUY1911]
Probably the greatest national chain restaurant in business today. Very pricey, but the food quality and service are second to none. My last visit to the Indy downtown location was $230 with tip for three with cocktails.

Oh and I highly recommend the Filet (roast) it's huge and delicious!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:50:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By einnor1040:
Great food. Kinda pricey.

+1

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:50:39 AM EST
It's good, but overpriced, IMHO. I can get better beef fro my uncle in TX.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:52:33 AM EST
Great food, and Make it a big tip if in NYC, my brother is a waiter there....
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:52:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 8:52:48 AM EST by hepcat85]

Originally Posted By Sharkman:
It's good, but overpriced, IMHO. I can get better beef fro my uncle in TX.

I take it his restaurant is only located in Texas???

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:54:47 AM EST
I've been to two and I didn't like either one. Putting too much garlic on a steak, and charging $60 for it, is not good cuisine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:56:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By hepcat85:

That's (1) cocktail, appetizer, Soup, Salad, beef, sides, dessert runs about $120 WITH tip?

Just trying to gauge it here fellas.

Negative...everything is a'la carte at Ruth's Chris, so that would have been 2 drinks, a boat of garlic mashed 'taters, and two filets.. no dessert or tip included.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:00:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:03:13 AM EST

$60 for a steak? It better come with a blowjob from a cute waitress!

LMFAO +1
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:04:04 AM EST

I hear the waitress has the plate strapped to the top of her head.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:06:27 AM EST

Closer to $22, actually. And well worth it.

But no BJ.

I highly recommend the Caesar salad and the Creme Brulee.

However, I also highly recommend trying to find a unique 4-star restaurant near you, or a Morton's. Both will probably be better, although more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:09:41 AM EST
I stuck with the two big guns rather than list 50 steak joints.

I personally love Sirlon Saloon in Vermont.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:10:08 AM EST
yeah a steak'll run you about 30 bucks for a good one. I also recommend the ceasar. WOOT!

great restaurant, especially on an expense account!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:11:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:11:38 AM EST

It is not $60 a steak. It's not cheap, but worth every nickel. Their steaks are bovine herion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:12:00 AM EST
I tell you the best steakhouse I;ve ever been to is Manny's In St. Paul that place rocks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:13:47 AM EST
Morton's is damn good. The steaks IMO are equal to R.C.'s, but R.C. has'em beat in the "everything else" catagory. Their creamed spinach, taters, salads and everything else are awesome and a better selection.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:15:39 AM EST
I have had the pleasure of eating at Ruth's a few times.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

If I were rich, I'd eat there every night!

Never heard of Morton's...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:19:01 AM EST
For those of you who were unimpressed, if you order your steak more burnt cooked than medium rare, you are a barbarian whose vote and opinion do not count here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:19:48 AM EST
Ruth's Chris !!!

[HOMER]MMMMM....Steak[/HOMER]

Try the Filet Minion if you go to Ruth's Chris.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:19:54 AM EST

For those of you who were unimpressed, if you order your steak more burnt cooked than medium rare, you are a barbarian whose vote and opinion do not count here.

+1 !
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:23:15 AM EST

+1 BUT, even then I've done better myself on a Rib-eye.

Part of the problem for me though is that I've been hearing those damn commercials for YEARS and I was prepared for some kind of "Orgasmic" meat-eating experience and instead, I got a pretty good steak for a BUTT-LOAD of $$$.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:36:16 AM EST

They actually state on their menu that if you order your steak well done, they aren't responsible for how it comes out. They definately frown on anyone who wants a cut of incredible beef cooked to a fuckin brown crisp....and I completely agree.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:38:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 9:39:17 AM EST by chuckhammer]
Ruth's for me. Their entire menu is delicious but the steaks (especially the filet) melt in your mouth.

USDA Prime is only available from restaurants such as these or from a proper butcher.

ETA - COOL-CENTER RARE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:46:59 AM EST
I eat at both fairly regularly. I travel a bit for work, and when on the road I know I can get a consistently excellent meal at either place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:48:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By calafro:
I eat at both fairly regularly. I travel a bit for work, and when on the road I know I can get a consistently excellent meal at either place.

So then, which is the better dining experience???
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:55:27 AM EST
OK, here's my Ruth's Chris/Morton's rant.

First of all, I rate them equally. They both have only the finest cuts of meat, and the service, presentation and quality are first-rate. They are also both obscenely overpriced.

But that's not what my rant is about.

I'm not a cheap bastard. I don't mind one bit dropping several hundred dollars for a really nice dinner. I can always get more money later, but the times one shares with loved ones and good friends (who are also loved ones, I guess) is irreplaceable. A few hundred clams here and there is a small price to pay for a good time.

But, if I am spending some considerable clammage for a quiet, sit-down meal, I sure the hell don't want to be sitting across from some loutish barbarian wearing cut-offs and shower shoes! Now maybe this is just a Kansas City phenomenon, but Idon't think so. I've been to Morton's/Ruth's Chris in probably 8 different cities, and I have observed this to varying degrees in all of them. The sense of civilized decorum in this country is completely gone.

Now I'm no prude, and I'm no snob. In fact, I'm about as blue-collar as they come, and I can be just as happy eating rabbit over a campfire as Filet Mignon at the finest chophouse in the world. The thing is, I have the common courtesy and general wherewithall to know what type of dress and behavior is appropriate. I should not have to tolerate complete ignorance of any inkling of social grace at a restaurant that touts itself as five-star dining at any price.

You can't buy class, and you can't buy manners. You get that from your ma and pa. Morton's and Ruth's Chris seem to both be catering to the neuveaux riche, or as we referred to them two decades past, yuppie scum. If I'm gonna be surrounded by the local yokels, shit, I'd just as soon have a double cheeseburger at Town Topic.

Also, I think the dessert portions are too small.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:56:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 11:25:34 PM EST by Helldog40]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:56:57 AM EST
Independantly owned steak houses are better. You just have to do the research. My example is Jack and Julie Rainwater's on Kettner in San Diego. It blows Ruth's out of the water, price and quality.

............although I can burn a better steak than any of them. I got a secret seasoning that is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:57:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By hepcat85:

Originally Posted By calafro:

So then, which is the better dining experience???

I eat at both semi-regularly as well. Here's the deal. Both are franchises. Different locations look differently inside, to some degree. They aren't cookie cutter copies of respective franchises. What the inside looks like in Boca Raton Florida (near me), might not look exactly like the Ruth's Chris in Houston. Same w/ Mortons. Have a peek inside your local versions.

Steaks at both, about equal. No point in splitting hairs over that.

Everything else, I give the edge to Ruth's Chris. Again, both are very good, but I just feel R.C. has better side choices. Can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:04:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:06:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By wildearp:
I got a secret seasoning that is unbelievable.

What's the secret?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:09:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:11:12 AM EST

............although I can burn a better steak than any of them. I got a secret seasoning that is unbelievable.

Care to share for those of us here who enjoy cooking?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:13:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 10:13:13 AM EST by hepcat85]

Independantly owned steak houses are better. You just have to do the research. My example is Jack and Julie Rainwater's on Kettner in San Diego. It blows Ruth's out of the water, price and quality.

I tend to agree. I've had people rave about my grilled cuts o' beef.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:14:45 AM EST
ate at both in minnepaolis

enjoyed the ruths better- but both were excellent. Mortons seemend a bit stuffy- we actually wen there after an exciting air farce workday- in jeans and t-shirts (early evening) and they did not say a word. Ask for it cooked with garlic-----yummmm.

as for the other poster who said they both use too much garlic...These are top end steak houses- I doubt they are seasoned AT ALL.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:20:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cleatus:
ate at both in minnepaolis

enjoyed the ruths better- but both were excellent. Mortons seemend a bit stuffy- we actually wen there after an exciting air farce workday- in jeans and t-shirts (early evening) and they did not say a word. Ask for it cooked with garlic-----yummmm.

as for the other poster who said they both use too much garlic...These are top end steak houses- I doubt they are seasoned AT ALL.

IIRC Ruth's uses salt and pepper, and a pat of butter only!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:25:52 AM EST
yea- i like how ruths cooks em in that ceramic dish with butter- sizziling when you get it- just add the garlic to sizzle--drooooool

it was about 150 for us with 25 tip and including drinks got the crem brule for free as it was our anniversary- that was excellent!!!

one of the places has mega hashbrowns as a side- think it was mortons- it was enough for 4 people
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:26:51 AM EST
Ruth's Chis all the way!!!

22oz Cowboy Cut Bone-in Ribeye - Medium Rare
Au Gratin potatoes
Steamed Broccoli

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top