Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 3:34:16 PM EDT
As in let them try things on you for money? Usually some drug or soemthing?

UPDATE:

Got off the phone with them a bit a go. The comapny is called Covance and im doing research on them right now to check and see if there legit or not, but for a 3 day thing they will draw blood 15 times (better leave the damn tube in and not stick me 15 times) I will get a $1000 payout.

They had another one that did $3200, but the whole checking my blood 72 times over 15 days scared me.

Im thinking ill try once and see after I check them to see if there legit
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was an impovrished doctoral student at Northwestern U., several of the other students used to volunteer at the medical school for stuff like that, because the cost of living in Chicago was a lot higher than their fellowships could pay for.

None of them seemed worse for the wear.  Mostly, I think it was drug studies, where you just took some pills or whatever, and spent a few days there for observation.  I think it paid pretty well, if you were a relatively young adult, with no health problems and weren't a smoker.

I think the school increased the fellowships a little when they found out about it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell no. But I did market research back in college. They paid us $50 to come over and look at some new "lite vodka" they were trying to sell for about 3/4 the price of normal vodka. It was 50% vodka/50% water. We took our $50 and bought 3 quarts of real vodka.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I regularly test the effects of alcohol on the human body
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The reason I ask is cause im unemployeed, need money, and the payout on some of these tests are ABOVE $1000 (yes 1 thousand)
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Just hope you dont turn out like these guys.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I was the first person to take a "ride" in a brand new MRI machine. Got minimal pay for that but it was easy work.

I probably have more time in an MRI than Troy Aikman!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I was an impovrished doctoral student at Northwestern U., several of the other students used to volunteer at the medical school for stuff like that, because the cost of living in Chicago was a lot higher than their fellowships could pay for.

None of them seemed worse for the wear.  Mostly, I think it was drug studies, where you just took some pills or whatever, and spent a few days there for observation.  I think it paid pretty well, if you were a relatively young adult, with no health problems and weren't a smoker.
I think the school increased the fellowships a little when they found out about it.

So, what did you do for extra income?    
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Motown_Steve and I were grabbing some lunch after shooting last weekend.  This dude walks into the Jack In The Box and I mention to motown that he's probably homeless.

Well, he overhears our conversation about work, and mentions that he is in the "medical research" field.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Once me and a friend tested the effects of redistilled vodka  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill be making some calls on this tomorrow...  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was the first person to take a "ride" in a brand new MRI machine. Got minimal pay for that but it was easy work.

Similar, they were working on optimizing power output vs. body weight (IIRC) for the new open style machines when I was a poor student.  $40 cash to respond on a scale of 1-10 how uncomfortable it was.  The involuntary muscle contractions at higher levels was cool, don't think I ever gave them a 10 as it was more fun than painful.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
update
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The nursing school instructor asked me and a couple of other guys to volunteer to let nursing students take our vital signs so that they could be certified as competent and be able to work in a hospital. It did not pay anything. So I am sitting there and some of the students are showing the instructor that they could take my blood pressure. A maintenance man was in the chair next to mine. The students that were taking his blood pressure started whispering to each other and the instructor looked over and then tested his blood pressure herself. She said that he should not have been still concous. His pressure was way up there. They called an ambulance and had him taken to an ER.

Another time some PT students wanted to practice taking my arm out of it's socket. I had to pass on that one.

Best Regards,
HTG
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I've worked on a few hospital run trials. The stipend for a subject was usually $50 a visit. Some trials involved us trying to make them motion sick, others involved a ride in a hyperbaric chamber. In all cases they were participating in a double blind drug trial of some sort.

In order for a hospital to run a human trial, the researchers have to hold to an incredible level of perfect. Internal Review Boards are merciless, and the amount of paperwork could drive one mad. It's hell for the researchers, great for the subjects. In order to even touch you, we needed to first give you a free physical, blood workup, cardiac testing (tilt table, sonograph), pregnancy test, and on and on and on. And you got a stipend for that day of tests.

I wouldn't hesitate to take part in any sort of research being done in a hospital. The free screenings are worth the trouble alone. The stipends aren't always huge, but 50 bucks for 3 20 minute spins on a tilt chair is pretty damned good pay for a college student. No matter what, you know that it is the absolute safest work that could possibly be done. There is always a slim risk associated with a new drug trial, but it's less hazardous then driving to work. Plus, sometimes it really is valuable data your contributing.

I'd be a little more apprehensive about going right through a drug company or lab. In theory, they have to deal with the same regulations that a hospital does, but I doubt thats the case in reality. If they aren't seeking FDA approval actively, and word the release correctly, they can give you just about anything they want. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing that even if the stipends are much larger.

-Local
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]
My neighbor supervises drug trial research.  The stories that I hear makes me wonder why people would volunteer to take an experimental drug where there is no short or long-term track record on what the real effects will be.

My health is worth far, far, far more than $5,000.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
 I use to be a human guinea pig for a local drug testing company here in the St. Louis area called Gateway Medical Research.  I probably did two dozen or more studies over a two to three year period.  It was easy money for someone who was going to school full-time, which is what most of the participants were doing.  We usually were paid $300 to $400 (this was back in 1993 to 1995) spending two consecutive weekends in the center where they basically controlled what we ate, when we slept and so on.  Half the study participants would get the real deal pill one weekend and the next weekend they'd get the placebo.  Sometimes they'd take our blood every 15 minutes for several hours after you were first dosed and then it would taper off to every several hours.  I still have two permanent scars on each arm from where I had blood taken several hundred times.

Good luck with it if you decide to do it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Covance is a fair sized company.

Drug studies are all supervised by the FDA, and a test protocol must be approved by both the FDA, and an Institutional Review Board (IRB).

The type of study you are describing is a Pharmacokinetic Study.  To determine how fast a drug is absorbed by the body, and how long it stays with you.  

Studies of this type are usually done with moderate doses, given to healthy subjects.  They are not testing the effectivness of the drug, just the kinetics.

To test for effect, a Clinical Trial is run. Trials involve subjects that HAVE the targeted disease, and may or may not include placebos. Many times new compounds are tested against the current "standard of care".  Many clinical trials go on for years before a drug is approved by the FDA.

I have participated in a clinical trial. Hopefully, any data they got from me will help someone else down the road.

In addition to the income, you are helping to advance research that may benefit you or a family member in the years to come.

Lem
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As in let them try things on you for money? Usually some drug or soemthing?

UPDATE:

Got off the phone with them a bit a go. The comapny is called Covance and im doing research on them right now to check and see if there legit or not, but for a 3 day thing they will draw blood 15 times (better leave the damn tube in and not stick me 15 times) I will get a $1000 payout.

They had another one that did $3200, but the whole checking my blood 72 times over 15 days scared me.

Im thinking ill try once and see after I check them to see if there legit

Covance is around here, and they have been here for years doing research.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I worked in a medical lab that did animal research on most of Covance's products. My wife still works there. What is the drug, I'll let ya know what it did to the Rats and monkeys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top