Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 1:00:55 PM EDT
?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:11:50 PM EDT
No, but we burned a suitcase that had magnesium parts at a lake party once. I think it was a Samsonite. You couldn't even look at the fire. I couldn't imagine a whole wheel.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:13:47 PM EDT
New corvette engine has many magnesium parts. Local volunteer firefighter said they couldn't use water on it. The fire was so hot that it burned off the hydrogen and used the oxygen as fuel. Had to use foam...from quite a distance at that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:15:14 PM EDT
How hard is it to start it burning?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 1:24:55 PM EDT by sabre331]
17 yr FF here , magnesium burns too well , really bright fire whcih can actually burn your eyes , it reacts violently when attacked with a water stream.
here's a link:
http://www.eh.doe.gov/techstds/standard/hdbk1081/hbk1081c.html

oh yeah , chain saw housings will do the trick also
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:26:47 PM EDT
Keep em coming, what else can you use? How hot does it have to be?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:31:48 PM EDT
Saw a dragster burn to the ground in about 1982-83. Magnesium wheels, block and transmission. The firefighters erected welding curtains around the fire until it was burned out.

Used to be able to buy "Magnesium Ribbon" at hobby shops that sold chemistry supplies. Fun stuff to play with! Fortunately, I had some old melter's goggles and my cohort had welding goggles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:34:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 1:36:34 PM EDT by operatorerror]
I've seen lots of VW engine fires. Not all of them ignited the block, but the ones that did were cool!

www.burningart.com/meico/pyro/mag.html

Maybe something in the link that you could use.

ETA we have always just put lots of water on them. It works, eventually.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:49:32 PM EDT
Me and a buddy lit the deck of an old Lawn Boy lawnmower, (remember the green two stroke mowers with the lightweight aluminum/magnesium chassis?)

Took an acetylene torch to get it to catch. Hellishly bright. Burned for about 45 minutes.

In 1997, in St Louis, several semi trailers full of magnesium shavings caught fire. That was a blaze to behold!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:01:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
Used to be able to buy "Magnesium Ribbon" at hobby shops that sold chemistry supplies. Fun stuff to play with! Fortunately, I had some old melter's goggles and my cohort had welding goggles.

When I had chem in college, we used to hold magnesium stripes with tongs, and stick them into the bunsen burners to get them burning. It burned really bright and hot.

During WWII, the allies would drop thermite bombs on the Japanese, this consisted of aluminum powder and iron oxide, and this stuff would burn furiously, and water won't put it out, you could only use sand to smuttered it out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:12:27 PM EDT
Had some old slot car chassis and parts from the early 60's made from magnesium. To light them up, you had to use a propane torch, easiest to start by heating a corner. Once it started, stand WAY back. It would take about 10 minutes to burn one chassis. The first one we burned left a pit in the concrete driveway. We never did tell Dad what caused that hole. I found another one in a box of stuff Mom gave us a few years ago. My son and I burned that one. Yes, a bright white light, white smoke, almost as bright as a welding arc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:28:12 PM EDT
lotsa Borg Warner trasfer cases are magnesium. Burn like 7 hells. Railroad flare will start them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:54:43 PM EDT
Do magnesium flares count?

Here's about 200 ea LUU-2 Aircraft flares.

This is after the fire started to die down. We couldn't get any closer than about 150 meters.

It used to be fun blowing up and burning stuff for a living.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:06:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motocam25:
Keep em coming, what else can you use? How hot does it have to be?

Magnesium will ignite slightly above its melting point of 650°C (1202.0 °F). If you hold a wooden match to magnesium ribbon it will initially melt and then ignite. It's easier to light it with a butane lighter.

The larger the piece the more difficult it is to ignite because it will conduct heat away from a torch/ignition source. In WWII, large magnesium cylinders would have their core drilled out and the equivalent of a thermite grenade used to ignite it. The incendiary bombs would ignite from a fuze when they hit the top of a building. The bomb would make it through the roof but usually stop in the top floor. The thermite would melt and ignite the magnesium which would form a burning puddle and drip down floor-to-floor, igniting each floor on the way down.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:47:43 PM EDT
I burnt a transaxle from a VW once. Bright as hell and lasted quite a while. Nothing but burnt gears when it finally went out. Lit it with a flare.,
Top Top