Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2006 12:13:30 AM EDT
My poor puppy has been to the vet and had to have his glands expressed by the vet.  Was good for a few weeks but now he's back to licking his butt alot.  It's 3am and he just woke me up crying going crazy in his kennel.  I let him outside and he ran to the far edge of the back yard and I couldn't see him but I could hear his diarrhea coming out 20 yards away.  Found some really nasty piles of runny, stinky poop.  Seems ok now.  Just thought I'd share since I'm up at this damn time in the morning.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Our good friends have two golden retrievers that get expressed every month when groomed. The expence is trivial to them, but for us normal guys,..... I would find a way to learn how to do it, or a pill for it. Sory to hear your pup is suffering.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
No
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What exactly do anal glands do anyway?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty common, not pleasant but common. Some owners don't know there is a problem, because the dog will drag his ass across some gravel until it exresses the glands or they just go by themselves. But, it's painful for the dog so it's best to get them expelled before the dog is in pain or gets an infection.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Gotta love the expansive Internet. Here's the official "anal sacs" page:

www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Thanks Al Gore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, since you ask.  According to Al Gore's internet they were mainly used in olden days for marking.  But the two websites I saw said that they really are un needed in today's modern world and can be removed if the problem persists.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Al Gore.

Geez, we think alike.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Al Gore.

Whoa. They had quite the visuals, what with the interactive anus and all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Put some rubber gloves on, place thumb and index finger on either side of the bunghole(the dog's ) and give it a gentle squeeze. Watch out for flying ass goo.

ETA: this is for the dog's benefit (in case there's some weirdos out there), should open up the glands and relieve pressure/itching.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Watch out for flying ass goo.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Put some rubber gloves on, place thumb and index finger on either side of the bunghole(the dog's ) and give it a gentle squeeze. Watch out for flying ass goo.

Sig line material right there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]
We get our dogs done either at the groomers or their regular vet appointments.  I had no idea they existed until the vet told me about them a couple of years ago (another of those cases where I'm glad I can pay someone to do this job for me ).
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Our good friends have two golden retrievers that get expressed every month when groomed. The expence is trivial to them, but for us normal guys,..... I would find a way to learn how to do it, or a pill for it. Sory to hear your pup is suffering.

My ex-girlfriend used to do it herself for her dogs.  IIRC, you just push on the sides or something like that, and you always do it in a bathtub or somewhere where you can hose it down.  If any of you have friends who are vets or vet techs, they can show you for sure. I don't know much about it, but i've seen it done and it seems pretty simple, but a bit nasty.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#15]
AGH...two hours later and he's up again.  Let him out again and more nasty diarrhea.  Guess I'm not sleeping tonight.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
AGH...two hours later and he's up again.  Let him out again and more nasty diarrhea.  Guess I'm not sleeping tonight.  

Have you switched dog food lately?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Baiely Beagle has to go to the Vet about once a month for that.  When she starts scooting on the carpet, it is time for a trip to the vet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]
The dreaded penguin ass-drag...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:32:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I did it all the time for my Great Danes. Put on some rubber gloves and have some baby wipes handy. Grab the dogs tail and lift it up. Depending on how full the glands are you may be able to see them at this point.  They are at the bottom of the anus.  Gently squeeze them with your thumb and index finger while lightly pushing in.  Your dog may squat down while you do this, just hang on to his tail.  You should see a stream of brownish liquid squirt out.  If any dribbles gets on the dogs rear wipe it with a baby wipe.  It is pretty vile smelling stuff.  They sell some spray deodorant (we used to buy it from out vet.) that you can spray on their anal area once done cause it will stink a little if you don't.  We would do it every couple of weeks.  Apparently it is something large dogs require more frequently than small dogs.

If you can't figure it out from the description then your Vet should be able to show you how to do it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#20]
My dog drags his rump on the cool linoleum kitchen floor every 6 months or so.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, I'm enjoying breakfast...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My poor puppy has been to the vet and had to have his glands expressed by the vet.  Was good for a few weeks but now he's back to licking his butt alot.  It's 3am and he just woke me up crying going crazy in his kennel.  I let him outside and he ran to the far edge of the back yard and I couldn't see him but I could hear his diarrhea coming out 20 yards away.  Found some really nasty piles of runny, stinky poop.  Seems ok now.  Just thought I'd share since I'm up at this damn time in the morning.  

1. all dogs lick their ass
2. expressing anal glands is good for your vet's mortgage
3. the diarrhea was from teh table scraps you fed him or some garbage he got into
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Mmmmmm...anal sacs, it's what's for breakfest
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

this is not an anal gland issue...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Our Cocker Spaniel has this problem several times a year. Yucchhhh.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:16:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Puppies get the squirts all the time, you need to keep his diet consistant.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Diarrhea has nothing to do with anal glands.

Give him an immodium (only 1)

no food for 24 hrs

take him for walks at least every 2 hrs to get things moving and out of there.

Do not change his food. Ever.

Do not let him eat dead things, garbage, table scraps, cat poop, dog poop, bugs, dog treats, and anything else he tries to eat. No drinking from puddles and streams, even though I let my dogs do this, often with bad results.

Even if you do all of this, puppies get the shits. That's life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#28]
What are you feeding him?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you switched dog food lately?

Nope

He eats the same food everyday since we got him.  He doesn't eat table scraps and he hasn't gotten into trash.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What are you feeding him?

Dog food named nutra
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Thank God, neither of my dogs have had that problem.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Friend of mine is an Ag teacher.  He expresses his dogs.  He said it is mostly a problem on smaller breed dogs - he has American Terririers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Anal glands are at about the 4 and 8 o'clock position on the arsehole. Like people have said you can use some rubber gloves and manually express them.  However if they won't express then you may have an impacted gland and you need the vet to mess with it.  You can get them removed but it's a nasty surgery and there are a lot of things that can go wrong if it's not done correctly, like permanent fecal incontenince so a lot of vets won't mess removing them.  Most of the time anal sacs are expressed when the dog takes a dump.  However if the dog has loose stools or diarrhea for an extended period of time then there isn't enough pressure on the sacs (created by a turd passing through the area) then they will not get expressed and you can see the scooting etc.  Sometimes you can get abscesses and infections or ruptures and you'll know if your dog has one of these.

As for the diarrhea it could be most anything.  Most likely considering you have a pup it is probably dietary indescretion, as in he got into some trash, ate a stick, ate cat turds, a bone, a rawhide etc.  It could also be parasites etc. especially if he hasn't been wormed. If it continues for another 24 hours or he starts vomiting or acts really painful take him to the vet. If you notice a lot of blood in the feces or it appears black and tar-like you should probably take him in.  Make sure he has plenty to drink cause pups can get dehydrated quickly with a lot of diarrhea.  If he isn't vaccinated you better take him in right now and tell the vet he isn't vaccinated as it could be parvo and he needs medical attention ASAP.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Reason number 98 why I don't own a dog.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I take our pug to the vet every month so she can have her anal glands emptied.

Takes about 5 min, and she is much happier when we leave.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#36]
My GSD uses hers as a chemical/biological weapon if you scare her to much. Worst smelling stuff on the planet. We take her to the vet every 4-5 months or so and get them drained. It is worth every penny to have someone else deal with that stink.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Just killed my desire to ever own a dog.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
We get our dogs done either at the groomers or their regular vet appointments.  I had no idea they existed until the vet told me about them a couple of years ago (another of those cases where I'm glad I can pay someone to do this job for me ).

I saw this on "worlds dirtiest jobs" when the star worked with a groomer.  That little pinch was very nasty!!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Thank God, neither of my dogs have had that problem.

All dogs have it.  You just probably never noticed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw this on "worlds dirtiest jobs" when the star worked with a groomer.  That little pinch was very nasty!!!!!  

It's been said that money doesn't allow you to do everything you want to do but rather it allows you not to do what you don't want to do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#41]
18 years of my dad raising labs on a relatively large scale. Never, ever, ever "expressed an anal gland".

Never even heard of it but saw Mike Rowe get some squirted on his face on Dirty Jobs.  Just reinforced my desire to never have a dog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top