Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:04:37 AM EDT
I woke up wanting one, had breakfast and lunch now, still want one.

man this is difficult. anyone else out there trying to kick the habit?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought about it...........That's it though for now
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#2]
tried many times.  it sucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Surprisingly enough I'm trying to stop today as well...  Cravings haven't hit as hard as I thought they would yet.  It's the driving part that sucks, I love smoking and driving...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quit six months ago.  Still have dreams about it.

It's not constant anymore, but I still get whacked upside the head with a craving now and then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I thought about it...........That's it though for now hinking.gif

This isn't my first attempt. hope.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
A pack a day habit at 3-4 bucks a pack is enough to buy a tricked out AR per year or save about 1,500/year to savings.  Over 20 years that's $30 grand that you paid to the state and cigg companies.  With compounding interest if you saved, you'd probably have another 80-90 grand for retirement.   That alone would piss me off enough to quit...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Surprisingly enough I'm trying to stop today as well...  Cravings haven't hit as hard as I thought they would yet.  It's the driving part that sucks, I love smoking and driving...

I'm with you on the driving and smoking. even worse than sitting at this machine and playing HL2 DM.

good luck to you .
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I quit, July 16 2004.

From January through April of this year, I had an on-agaian, off-again battle with cigars, which are 10000 times more tastier/addictive than cigarettes.

Zyban or the nicotine patches work very well, and I'd highly recommend one of them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
the way I quit was parts at a time. First I stopped smoking at work, I would get something to eat instead. Then I got a new car and stopped smoking driving because I didn't want to ruin the leather interior. Then I just stopped all together. The funny thing is that I never intended to quit, just to cut back and save money. Once you make it past 2 weeks it is smooth sailing from there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I just said last night. eh, ain't having another one. still have 2 in the pack . I'm not going to crack.
I'm not going to crack, I'm not going to crack LOL
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#11]
unkempt1: WELCOME!

I personally, don't smoke, but strongly, strongly urge you to quit. Not only for your own good, but all of those around you. I personally just hate the smell of cigarette smoke, its terrible.

Try harder--remember the old saying,
"I know I can, I know can, I know I can." a little variation of from the children's story, "The Engine, that Could."
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm on day 5 without a cig.

This is my 3rd or 4th time "quiting" this year.  We'll see how well I do.  I was down to one or two cigs a day for the past month before Thursday.  I quit my job working around a lot of smokers so that should help, but in roughly 30min I'll be heading out the door to my next class.

College.  It's exactly like highschool, with ashtrays.  

EDIT: It helps to take it the same way alchoholics do.  Don't think of it as never smoking again.  Think of it as not having a cigarette today.  When you get to tomorrow you can think the same way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
unkempt1: WELCOME!hose

Try harder--remember the old saying,
"I know I can, I know can, I know I can." a little variation of from the children's story, "The Engine, that Could."hr

LOL> I'm a tryin'.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Three months ago, I was at my step-father's bedside as he was gasping his last breaths and died a horible death from lung cancer at age 57.

My grandmother is now living with me and is expected to die in the next month or so from lung cancer.

Both were smokers.

Not a lecture, but dig as deep as you can to find the will to quit smoking. If not for yourself, do it for those who love you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#15]
going from 3 packs a day to nothing. it really isn't as bad as I remember the last attempt. I might have it beat .

thanks for the post Right-to-Bear.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
going from 3 packs a day to nothing. it really isn't as bad as I remember the last attempt. I might have it beat .

Holy crap!  3 packs a day?!  Are you sure you've got any blood in your circulitory system or is it just straight nicotine?

How do you find the time to take that many smoke breaks?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I need to. How long do the intense cravings last, and what is the best method of quitting.

I need help because although I know I need to quit, I like it, and it is addictive, that's a damn hard combination to kick.

I want to never crave a cigarette again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I need to. How long do the intense cravings last, and what is the best method of quitting.

I need help because although I know I need to quit, I like it, and it is addictive, that's a damn hard combination to kick.

Find yourself a nice long 4 day weeking on the calendar somewhere.  Get deathly ill with the flu beginning the first day or night before the first day.  By the 4th day you will have bypassed withdrawls and had the cold shakes instead.  Worked for me once anyway.  Didn't have a grit for 3 months after that.

Once I just took a monday off, assed out of town with a couple of MREs, some water and a tent and went camping and hiking alone for three days (the alone part probably wasn't smart).  That worked pretty well too.

I believe nicotine takes 72 hours to work its way out of your system.  That's the physical dependency though.  The psychological dependency will really get you.  Particularly I had three smokes that were tied into my daily habits.  I drove to work and got there early, having a smoke before I went in.  I walked to a deli for lunch and had a smoke on the way.  Before I left work I had a smoke while I let my care idle up to operating temp.  These are/were the worst to get over.  Social drinking will also probably give you a kick in the teeth for cravings too.  I'd suggest avoiding bars for about a month.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I am going through it too right now. I haven't had a smoke since saturday night.
I have tried 4 or 5 times this year, but keep falling off the wagon. I am taking the pussy way out
and using the patch. It definitely is helping.

The bad cravings are after I eat and driving to and from work.
The rest of the time it's not bad at all.

I am 35 and I have smoked a pack a day since I was 17.
It's time to quit. And not start back again.

I figure if I can make it two weeks and then get off of the patch,
I'll have it whipped. Let's all keep each other encouraged.
We can do this.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am going through it too right now. I haven't had a smoke since saturday night.
I have tried 4 or 5 times this year, but keep falling off the wagon. I am taking the pussy way out

It's not the pussy way if it works.

Btw, ain't the constipation wonderful ya'll?  Just had my first real shit in 3 days.  I suggest metimucil (or some other fiber supplement) and VERY strong coffee.  Normal laxitivs don't seem to work well on me.  Worst that's ever happened was I couldn't crap for 6 days straight.  I felt like I've given birth once that sit down was over.  Couldn't feel my legs either.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I just smoke when I drink....that way I still enjoy smoking but only twice a month....I drink more then that but I mean DRINK.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Good luck!

I've watched my parents go thru this same exact thing over and over and over and over.

So far this year, with my Dad its his 3rd time trying, this year

I've chewed Copenhagen for almost 17 years and quit once for 16 months.....then like a dumbass while out with the buddies, "hell,one wont hurt"   <homer>  DOH! <homer>  Should have thought, thats how I got started.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not the pussy way if it works.

Btw, ain't the constipation wonderful ya'll?  Just had my first real shit in 3 days.  I suggest metimucil (or some other fiber supplement) and VERY strong coffee.  Normal laxitivs don't seem to work well on me.  Worst that's ever happened was I couldn't crap for 6 days straight.  I felt like I've given birth once that sit down was over.  Couldn't feel my legs either.

I didn't have that problem.

YMMV, of course.

I actually lost weight while I was quitting.

Prayer helps.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
...what is the best method of quitting.

Use the patch.  I cannot stress that strongly enough.  You are torturing yourself for no reason.  You can buy a box of patches for the same price as a carton of smokes.

Use them.  They work.  NOT using a technological fricken miracle like that is like saying, "To hell with pain killers, just get that damned appendix outta there!"  We've made advances since  the Civil War.  Use the nicotine patch.

I smoked like a goddamn forest fire for 20 years and quit with no problem using those things.  The oral fixation is easy: eat Certs.  Your breath will smell better and your gums will stop rotting out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Another +1 for the patch. Do the whole program (even when you think you are past cravings). Works.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#26]
It's been just over a mth and I "sneak" one now and then, but for the most part I am doing good. Only if the hubby could have made it with me.
And even after a mth, the cravings are real strong at certain times, driving for example.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Another +1 for the patch. Do the whole program (even when you think you are past cravings). Works.

The part in red cannot be stressed enough.

Do the whole program!

Quoted:
It's been just over a mth and I "sneak" one now and then, but for the most part I am doing good. Only if the hubby could have made it with me.
And even after a mth, the cravings are real strong at certain times, driving for example.

Driving was always the worst for me. Especially late at night, for some reason.

Hang in there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#28]
They say the average craving lasts only a minute and a half...  Doesn't sound that bad, but shit...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap!  3 packs a day?!  Are you sure you've got any blood in your circulitory system or is it just straight nicotine?

How do you find the time to take that many smoke breaks?

I'm forever on the road or making up time from the computer at home. might be time for an employment switch as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#30]
People that don't smoke will say stuff like its bad for you and those around you. But that is years down the road when you are going to be dieing of everything else anyway. So the truth is for the here and now. It offends their senses and they say that it stinks. But that is enough to have laws and taxes leveyed against smoker to nag you to quit without actually doing anything.

I hate smokeing taxes and people telling what I can and can't do. I don't do drugs and never will. But what I do with my money and body is my business. Its like banning guns because they don't like something about it. I think that its ok not to smoke in other peoples property if they don't want me to. But I don't have to spend money there. But when my girlfriend comes over and bitches because I smoke in my house in my room. I get livid. She doesn't pay any bills or buy my smokes. I pay to much for them not to enjoy every second that I can. She can smoke with me or go outside while I smoke. Its my house.

Having said that I hate to say it but I would like to wuit because of the cost. And I don't really enjoy it unless I am stressed and I need a minute to think quietly. But I would like to be one of those smokers that only smoke when drinking or very, very rarely.

The patch should be cheaper IMHO if it wants to help. It cost $40 and seem more like they are taking advantage of a person.

We need a NRA with GOA ethics for smokers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Smokeing and chewing doesn't start again like when you first started. If you quit and start up again you will pick up where you left off. So its best to stay clear of it. I heard to takes about 15 days to get all the nicotine out of your system. If you can hang on that long you will be on your way to quiting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm also a smoker while I drive.  2 stix a day....   I don't really want to quit since it does calm me, but I had a friend try this method and it worked.  

Try this....
The next pack you buy.... take 1 out... and throw it away....
The next pack you buy.... take 2 out... and so on.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#33]
thinking about starting again.  

Must... fight... urge...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#34]
It is tough.

Hang it there.

It gets easier with time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm on day 5 without a cig.

This is my 3rd or 4th time "quiting" this year.  We'll see how well I do.  I was down to one or two cigs a day for the past month before Thursday.  I quit my job working around a lot of smokers so that should help, but in roughly 30min I'll be heading out the door to my next class.

College.  It's exactly like highschool, with ashtrays.  

EDIT: It helps to take it the same way alchoholics do.  Don't think of it as never smoking again.  Think of it as not having a cigarette today.  When you get to tomorrow you can think the same way.

+1  The only way I got thru the 1st few days was thinking just that.  I can smoke whenever I want to, I just dont want to.   To bad I fell off the wagon when SHTF a few months ago, I'm almost ready to try again.  Noticed I get really nasty in the beginning too.  I gotta get back into the right mind set I guess and prepare for the agony
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#36]
still going strong. looks like this time I will be a non smoker.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#37]
6 days.  

Highschool with ashtrays I tells ya.  You not supposed to enjoy walking through the halls between class sucking up the second hand smoke, but I catch myself breathing deeper when passing a smoker.  Not the opposite.  

On the other hand, when behind somebody who is smoking in traffic the smell sickens me.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#38]
To "quit something", one has to have started.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

"Don't frown because it's over, smile because it happened".  

Whatever makes you feel good, anyway.  I've been told that ALL addictions can be kicked.  Seen it first hand, actually.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Don't frown because it's over, smile because it happened".  

Whatever makes you feel good, anyway.  I've been told that ALL addictions can be kicked.  Seen it first hand, actually.

I've quit many things, many times.  I always seem to go back for more.......(uh...are we talking about smoking?)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I have been smoke free for 6 weeks now. I quit on July 10th while in the hospital after having a heart attack. I am 49 and my cholestorol was 190 which is well within the"safe" area. I found out that smoking kiils more people by contributing to heart disease than lung cancer. I quit cold turkey as patches never worked for me. I still have cravings and probably will for some time. I am gonna beat it this time for sure. Best of luck to you. If you cant do it this time, dontgive up. try again till you succeed!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Haven't had a smoke since thursday night. Using the patch so that there will be no violence...

I am quitting for a very simple reason. Spite.

My employer is making the whole plant smoke free as of mid 06. We are not a plant that you could easily walk off property and light up. The gates are 400 yards from the building, and then it's another 30 yards off property.

The thing that pisses me off is the fat Jabba the fucking hut sea cows that are self righteously crowing about all that stinking smoke while stuffing their gaping maws with ho-ho's and gravy.

So I will be using the company's nefound interest in the employee's health and well being against every fucking one of those lard soaked wastes of oxygen. I am going to suggest increasing the cost on all processed food items sold on site by 150%, and that the funds be used to finance an on site fitness center. If I can get that through (remember, turn the heat up slowly) then I am going to work on making the plant a "Junk Food Free Zone". No bringing any candy or snacks onsite. Then, since the smokers are already going to be forced to pay an additional 500 bucks a year in health insurance costs, I will propose the same for anyone with a BMI of 29 or more.

I am savoring every fucking craving. It will hone my desire for vengeance to a razor's edge. I fucking HATE people who purport that they know best for me.

GT
malevolent asshole.
fight the craving, embrace the rage.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#43]
How is everyone doing this AM?

So far so good here, woke up coughing up all kinds of bad stuff.  must be clearing out the tar baby from in them lungs :)

how is everyone else doing with the quit?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#44]
im trying... after this pack or the next

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#45]

No not tring to quit.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm taking the zyban . I smoke 2.5 packs a day. I'm going to quit and thats all there is to it.  Its too expensive and it isnt cool either. I figure if i have the cravings I'll just have someone kick me in the jimmy and that will help take my mind off the cravings
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm taking the zyban . I smoke 2.5 packs a day. I'm going to quit and thats all there is to it.  Its too expensive and it isnt cool either. I figure if i have the cravings I'll just have someone kick me in the jimmy and that will help take my mind off the cravingshr

Oh, My Jimmy LMAO

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I am quitting for a very simple reason. Spite.

hehe.  I love your idea.  At my recently vacated job about two years ago the company founders personal trainer became the company's personal trainer and the trainers wife became the company's nutritionist.  It's actually a pretty cool program.  They've got a decent gym and for $10 withheld per paycheck (voluntary) you get complete access to gym during business hours and full access to one on one training and dietary help.  Not bad at all.

Ofcourse, they tried the "junk free zone" too.  They replaced all the hostess in the vending machines with Tigers Milk, Pemican and Power Bars.  They replaced the soda machines with tea machines.

That lasted about a month.   They lost so much money on the unit rental and stagnate stocks that the next month they replaced it all with the same old stuff and slashed prices to make up in volume sales.

The economics of ass spread.

EDIT: Today counts as of about two hours ago counts as a full week smoke free.  Had my first philosophy class today and a pretty hot chick got in kindof late.  The seat next to mine was one of the few left free.  Lucky me.  Then she sat down and I realized that she'd just finished up a nic stick before coming in.    Smelled like ass all class long, and it didn't help that the seats were really uncomfortable.

Dude, I used to smell that fucking nasty.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#49]
so far so good, people who smoke are easily picked out LOL

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn, here it is 1AM and I'm wanting a smoke bad. must be time to crash to try not to smoke .:(

stupid habit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top