Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2003 7:58:31 PM EDT
Where do I begin...

1. Virtually all of the heat stays indoors, thanks to the unvented design.

2. No humidifier required – Water vapor is the primary combustion byproduct, so the indoor humidity never drops to nosebleed levels.

3. Completely silent - no blower noise.

4. Produces gentle, continuous warmth – no heat spikes during furnace operation; no cold drafts during furnace idle periods.

5. Requires no electricity, so it works even when the power fails.

6. Easy, 30-minute install – Attach to existing log ignitor gas supply, close fireplace chimney flue, and you're done!

How could anything so simple and trouble-free work so well?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 8:07:27 PM EDT by C-4]
Is this methane gas? If so, what do you mean by unvented?  Where does the carbon dioxide go?  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:24:38 PM EDT
He didn't answer back yet. Should we call his area's 911 to see if he's alright? CO2 poisoning in not a nice thing to get.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:30:49 PM EDT
Unvented natural gas.  Yes, it is efficient but it is NOT intended for primary heat.  In modern construction, you can get a serious buildup of CO2 and when the oxygen drops due to this combustion, you will produce CO and eventually DIE.

There are pulse burning furnaces that are almost as efficient and even condense the produced water vapor.  These are vented with a PVC DRAIN to the outside due to the produced water.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:18:06 PM EDT
No, because Natural Gas prices suck and when you fire that sucker up for a romantic evening...WATCHTHEFUCKOUT ! Your gas bill is going to reflect it... I miss wood.

My old shit hole, we could curl up in front of the wood fire... The wood cost me nothing and would burn down.

The new place with the gas, oh jeez and if we/I fall asleep is get worse ! Money wise.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:40:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Unvented natural gas.  Yes, it is efficient but it is NOT intended for primary heat.  In modern construction, you can get a serious buildup of CO2 and when the oxygen drops due to this combustion, you will produce CO and eventually DIE.
View Quote


At 30,000 BTU of output, I can guarantee you that it is indeed intended to be used as a primary source of heat (and is commonly used as such in this part of the country). Can't speak for your house, but the CO detector at my place has never never moved off of Zero (unlike one night a few years earlier when we were using the furnace - A roofing crew had forgot to replace the furnace roof flue, resulting in huge amounts of exhaust being dumped into the attic). Personally, I'd trust a simple fireplace and a CO detector over a complex furnace for safety any day of the week.

There are pulse burning furnaces that are almost as efficient and even condense the produced water vapor.  These are vented with a PVC DRAIN to the outside due to the produced water.
View Quote


Complex, noisy and expensive – No thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:15:14 AM EDT
Hmm sounds like it might be something to look into.  

However you must forgive many of us somewhat older fuds around here.  We grew up hearing and still hear about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and unvented heaters/heat sources.  They kill a lot of people and so it is a concept we need to get used too.

We old dogs can learn new tricks, but don't care to die doing it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:59:09 AM EDT
A little more info – Natrual gas is the primary heating fuel souce here in south Texas. It's considerably cheaper than heating with electricity, even if you're using an old, inefficient furnace to do it.

All gas fireplace logs currently sold in the U.S. are equipped with an Oxygen Depletion Sensor that automatically shuts off the gas supply if oxygen levels in the room ever drop to unsafe levels. They are also equipped with either a piezo ignitor and pilot light or electronic ignition.

Both the vented and unvented varieties are available – the vented models start at around $150 at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.; similar unvented models run about $75 more (which most folks will quickly recoup in gas savings).
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:13:42 AM EDT
We use our unvented gas log fireplace constantly in the cold weather. It's installed in our wood burning fireplace. We can keep our thermostat at a lower setting, and the fireplace heats 3/4 of the downstairs. We haven't noticed any difference in our gas bills. lets see, buy the firewood, haul it home, (or pay delivery), hope the wood isn't green, drag it inside (bugs and mud included), try to start the fire, and keep it started, have the heat from the furnace rush up the chimney, start a nice chimney fire, and then call 911...or....install a nice gas log system...Did I leave out the nice smokey smell from the wood????Hmmmm.....think I'll continue with the gas logs.......
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:44:31 AM EDT
My boss has a small unvented gas fireplace in his basement family room and he likes it except for the cost of the gas.  It really does warm up that basement room though.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:09:53 PM EDT
not to hijack the thread but what about the propane fired logs?  
i looked into them (we don't have natural gas handy) and other than the cost of the bottle gas they seemed like a good backup for power outages.
any CO problems outside of what we have just discussed?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:37:22 PM EDT
Macharia, a friend of mine lives a few miles down the road from me where they don't have natural gas and she says her Propane fired(non-vented)gas logs are great.She even has a remote control the light and adjust the flame on the logs.
I have a wall mounted natural gas,non-vented, gas heater in my attached garage and never gave it a second thought. Both heaters have that oxygen depletion shut off switch. These heaters don't use anymore gas than a gas cook stove and cook stoves are only vented for smell not carbon monoxide. They are safe, but check your local code, some states don't allow any non- vented heater. They are a lot safer and cleaner than a Kero Sun type non-vented kerosene heater.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:37:34 AM EDT
Another vote for NG nonvented logs.  We've had them for over 6 years and we use it for our primary and usually only source of heat in our house (+3000 sq. ft. in North Alabama).

2 CO monitors, one down, one up have never gone off.

All new non-vented heaters come with an O2 sensor.  O2 gets too low, it shuts off.  Pilot light goes out, it shuts off the gas.  Couldn't get any simpler.

My .02.

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:47:17 AM EDT
Mines unvented propane gas.

Burns 99.99% efficiently.

Can heat the whole house - 2000+ sq ft, one level.

Works even better with a ceiling fan.

Power outages?? No problem.



Top Top