Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 1:43:43 AM EDT
As a person born and raised in Hawaii, there are several things about the movie and the weekly show that bothers me. It's about this alien mutant that escapes it's creators and ends up on earth in Hawaii. The Alien "Stitch" was created as a biological weapon: a killer organism with the power to destroy planets and armies...I ain't bothered with any of that, that's the cool part of the story. LOL!

Then there's Lilo, a little girl being raised by her older sister who works for a local hotel and can't watch the little girl all the time. Anyway, this little girl Lilo is obviously metally ill. She gets into fights with all the other kids her age, doesn't listen to any adults, and locks herself in her house by nailing all the doors and windows shut and listens to Elvis everytime she has a temper tantrum. She does everything she can to get herself into trouble and thus her older sister in trouble with the Child Protection Agency.

Here's the thing...while Disney presents the whole story with cute cartoon characters with funny voices, there are REAL issues about life in Hawaii. Hawaii is in the grips of a Methamphedimine epidemic. The story of Lilo being raised by a single sibling is unfortunately way to common a story here. Kids are being raised by grandparents, Uncle's and aunty's and far too often the State because one or both of their parents are addicted to ICE. Last year 70% of all the people arrested on the island of Oahu tested positive for Methamphedimine use. Children as young as 10 years old have tested positive for ICE.  Mental illness is a serious issue amoung the youth of this generation growing up in the middle of the epidemic.

Alot of our communities here rely heavily on Tourism in order to survive. The story of Lilo's sister working for "the Hotel" is another common story here. Some of our most educated and talented young people are forced to work low level jobs because it's all that's available here, and they can't get away from Hawaii because of their responsibilities to their families. Were talking college educated people working as janitors and waitresses...nothing of which is wrong, but to make light the situation on a cartoon pisses me off.

If you ask me, this Disney production could have done without the injection of 'realism' in it. It's a friggen animated movie for goodness sake.  It is neither the place nor medium in which to highlight such things as mental illness, the hardships of single parenting, and the poor economy seen in some areas of the State. One of the main characters is a CPS agent!  This movie applauds anti-social psychotic behavior, and tells kids it's alright to destroy your house because in the end? Everything will be great.  It portrays the island youth with having no higher ambitions than to work for a hotel. Get a job with a hotel, and you have it made!!!!

I can't for the life of me think of why some poor maladjusted kid clearly suffering from several mental illnesses (OCD's like having to use up the families food every Thursday to go feed a fish in the ocean, then snapping about only having tuna in the house because it would make the fish canibals.) would appeal to anyone.

What idiots wrote this crap anyway? Hey, if somehow you get to read this, keep your screwed up stories in outer space and leave Hawaii out of it.

Mahalo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The point is to condition the sheeple into believing that that lifestyle is normal and acceptable.

My 3 year-old loves the Disney channel, but I'm at the point where I'm going to block it.

The shows teach kids that talking back and dressing like little strippers is cool. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, if the story was about a well adjusted kid with a real family and an alien, it would either been called "Alf" or the last year of the Flinstones.
Social ineptitude just makes for better comedy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, if the story was about a well adjusted kid with a real family and an alien, it would either been called "Alf" or the last year of the Flinstones.
Social ineptitude just makes for better comedy.

I hear you Bro, but:

Cinderella was poor. Pinocchio and Jepeto were poor. Dumbo & his Mom were slaves. Their condition added to the story, it gave an example of rising above the situation you're in and making it better.

But to highlight a obviously mal-adjusted kid with serious anti-social behavior and then making light of it pisses me off! It's ok to use the food that sister paid for with her hard earned money to feed fish? It's ok to just snap and start beating on other kids whenever you feel like it? It's ok to run from the law and lie about how the conditions are in your home? There's nothing funny about that, yet it's an ongoing theme in that stupid production.

mattja,

I hear you 100%, The Disney channel has overstepped the boundries of childrens entertainment.  I know kids have been playing grown-up since the beginning of time, but some of the themes in their programs are of a very adult nature. And I'm not even talking about what the visually show yet either! What comes to mind right away is  Britany Spears 2004 performance at the kids choice awards. There she was, performing for a bunch of 7-12 year old kids in a skin tight tank top, apparently bra-less with her nipples sticking out like headlights. For MTV? COOL! For PPV? Great...For the Kids Choice Awards?!?! What the fuck?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Christ, it'll be a riot when you kids'll get to read Tom Sawyer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Kids read books these days?
Incredible.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm talking about the people on this thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2 and a
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Is just da kine movies from Disney brah.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Please excuse me for laughing.

It's just that having seen the movie a few times with my kid I find it downright funny that you don't like this DISNEY CARTOON about space aliens, illegal intergalactic space alien experiments and a troubled little girl in Hawaii because it's.....

TOO REALISTIC!!

If you want something to really gripe about, go open a newspaper.  

Mahalo.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I NEVER saw the little girl take meth and I think the parents died in a car accident.

Dude your reading wayyy to much into the movie. The little girl fights other kids when they are mean or talk bad about her. She dosent just flip out, and her personality is supposed to mirror the creature stich so that they can appear to have a bond, understand each other and then evolve together.

The little girl misbeahves at first but it is not shown as a positive thing and latter in the movie they both try and reform.

If you think it sends the wrong message then just talk to your kids about it and straighten them out how you see fit, or just not let them see it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:15:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Banned from most school libraries.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Why is Hawaii a state?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:26:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
As a person born and raised in Hawaii, there are several things about the movie and the weekly show that bothers me. It's about this alien mutant that escapes it's creators and ends up on earth in Hawaii. The Alien "Stitch" was created as a biological weapon: a killer organism with the power to destroy planets and armies...I ain't bothered with any of that, that's the cool part of the story. LOL!

Then there's Lilo, a little girl being raised by her older sister who works for a local hotel and can't watch the little girl all the time. Anyway, this little girl Lilo is obviously metally ill. She gets into fights with all the other kids her age, doesn't listen to any adults, and locks herself in her house by nailing all the doors and windows shut and listens to Elvis everytime she has a temper tantrum. She does everything she can to get herself into trouble and thus her older sister in trouble with the Child Protection Agency.

Here's the thing...while Disney presents the whole story with cute cartoon characters with funny voices, there are REAL issues about life in Hawaii. Hawaii is in the grips of a Methamphedimine epidemic. The story of Lilo being raised by a single sibling is unfortunately way to common a story here. Kids are being raised by grandparents, Uncle's and aunty's and far too often the State because one or both of their parents are addicted to ICE. Last year 70% of all the people arrested on the island of Oahu tested positive for Methamphedimine use. Children as young as 10 years old have tested positive for ICE.  Mental illness is a serious issue amoung the youth of this generation growing up in the middle of the epidemic.

Alot of our communities here rely heavily on Tourism in order to survive. The story of Lilo's sister working for "the Hotel" is another common story here. Some of our most educated and talented young people are forced to work low level jobs because it's all that's available here, and they can't get away from Hawaii because of their responsibilities to their families. Were talking college educated people working as janitors and waitresses...nothing of which is wrong, but to make light the situation on a cartoon pisses me off.

If you ask me, this Disney production could have done without the injection of 'realism' in it. It's a friggen animated movie for goodness sake.  It is neither the place nor medium in which to highlight such things as mental illness, the hardships of single parenting, and the poor economy seen in some areas of the State. One of the main characters is a CPS agent!  This movie applauds anti-social psychotic behavior, and tells kids it's alright to destroy your house because in the end? Everything will be great.  It portrays the island youth with having no higher ambitions than to work for a hotel. Get a job with a hotel, and you have it made!!!!

I can't for the life of me think of why some poor maladjusted kid clearly suffering from several mental illnesses (OCD's like having to use up the families food every Thursday to go feed a fish in the ocean, then snapping about only having tuna in the house because it would make the fish canibals.) would appeal to anyone.

What idiots wrote this crap anyway? Hey, if somehow you get to read this, keep your screwed up stories in outer space and leave Hawaii out of it.

Mahalo.

You sound like a Liberal bitching about the pledge of allegiance. You have twisted Lilo and Stitch to suit what you see in Hawaii. Lilo and Stitch is not about a kid who's parents are drug addicts. I live in the Chicago area, so forgive me when I surmise that the urban problems you experience in Hawaii, are perhaps alarming to you, but small in comparison to other states.

I like Lilo and Stitch, my kid and I watch it all the time. I have been on ARFCOM a few years now and it seams more and more all the time that we talk an awful lot about a perfect society that exists nowhere and never will.

If the civil authorities of Hawaii can't keep ten year olds off drugs, you have way bigger problems than Stitch. Forgive me, but I can't stop thinking of Natalee Halloway and Aruba right now.

Don't like it? Don't watch it
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#16]
My 10 year old LOVES that show; she runs around the house talking in Stitch voice constantly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:49:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 5.5 year old girl and a 3.5 year old boy. They won't even watch Lilo & Stich anymore, it's just so yesterday. I have to watch it by myself now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]
plus the movie is like 10 years old....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I watch DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER every time I can.

you can find something wrong in every movie..or misrepresent the social/moral message.
Its a movie!

essayons
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:24:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Whoa, dude!  Stitch on meth!  Now there's an episode!
OK, seriously,

1.  Stitch is a cool character.

2.  Rather than focusing on their economic plight, my attention was drawn to the emphasis on family.

3.  It's a cartoon.

4.  The good guys always win.

5.  When they find the other "experiments" slated for extermination, they find a special niche for them (message: everybody has value & purpose.

6.  It's a cartoon.

7.  Stitch is a cool dude.

8.  It's a cartoon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:26:05 AM EDT
[#21]
dude, you are reading way to much into it. Its just a kids movie for christ sakes
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:37:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I am not a huge Disney fan because of their PC attitude but its as easy as changing the channel for the kids.  

A few years ago The Disney Channel had that movie Cadet Kelly and they were twirling around those rifles at a military academy.  Across the bottom of the screen as they were advertising the movie it said "No real guns were used in making this movie" or something to that affect.  That's when I told the kids to switch it off.  I can't stand that liberal PC BS.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I think I woke up on a plane ride to Phoenix once and that movie was playing.  Only thing I remember before falling back asleep was that I thought the older sister was pretty cute.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The Duke will die before these eyes and he'll know, HE’LL KNOW, that it is I, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, who encompasses his doom!”

Actually, I agree with you about the background messages in Disney movies. Many of the folks that watch them are oblivious.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old and we call her "stitch" as a nickname..... She is full of energy, fearless, and quite acrobatic. Besides that, the movie and the series are just a cartoon. If you want to get some good stuff just buy the DVD of the old Saturday morning Looney Tunes, now that is entertainment!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure "Song of the South" was an accurate portrayal of an elderly African-American's life in the early part of the 20th century...It must have been cool to talk to animals and understand what they were saying back to you..Maybe they had meth back then, too?

My big gripe is with HBO Family. They show too many PG-13 rated movies back to back with G-rated Disneyfunfests..

The kids on various shows don't have to do any work, therefore my kids think of themselves as our slaves because they have to do chores..

Oh yeah, the latest POS Cinderella incarnation with Hillary Duff shows her having to work in the family business so she can pay to put gas in her brand new Mustang her daddy left her in his will. What the heck? What teenager doesn't (or shouldn't) have to work for gas? My kids don't realize that if her dad was still alive, she would be doing the same thing for him instead of her step-mom..My kids think it's bad that she has to work because the rest of her friends are typical family movies kids, spoiled brats with rich parents..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top