BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
4/18/2021 9:59:29 PM
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:24:31 AM EDT
Link

Stillwater man is war victim

MILITARY DEATH
Maj. Scott Hagerty: He was killed Tuesday in Afghanistan.

By JEFF BILLINGTON World Staff Writer
6/5/2008
Last Modified: 6/5/2008  2:11 AM

STILLWATER — A soldier from Stillwater was killed while serving in Afghanistan, a military official confirmed Wednesday.

Army Maj. Scott Hagerty, 41, was killed while in Afghanistan during an incident that occurred Tuesday, said Army Maj. Steve Wuensch, who was meeting with family members on Wednesday.

Wuensche could not confirm exactly how Hagerty was killed.

Hagerty is survived by his wife, Daphne, and two young sons, Jonathan and Samuel.

Hagerty had lived in Stillwater since 1976 when his family moved to Oklahoma. He graduated from Stillwater High School in 1984, and joined the Army in 1986.

He spent 2006 and 2007 stationed in Africa, where he helped repair water wells in northern Uganda. His first deployment was to Iraq from October 2004 to August 2005.

Hagerty attended Oklahoma State University, where he received a bachelor's degree in 1993 in political science, pre-law and international relations. He also received his commission as a second lieutenant in the Army Reserve at graduation.

According to the Department of Defense, as of May 31, 443 U.S. soldiers have died in Afghanistan, with 308 of those killed in action.

Victim??
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:33:40 AM EDT
I think of war "victims" as being those people who get injured or killed and are not combatants. Any combatant killed or injured is a casualty. So, yeah, I have a problem with the way the article is written.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:40:54 AM EDT
agreed, he was a soldier, not a victim.

if I lived in Stillwater I think I might just write to the reporter and explain the difference and how misconstrued their headline was.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:08:18 AM EDT

Quoted:
agreed, he was a soldier, not a victim.

if I lived in Stillwater I think I might just write to the reporter and explain the difference and how misconstrued their headline was.

+1000 and QFT
Top Top