Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/26/2003 9:03:28 PM EDT
They sent the re-named Tales of the Gun video in the mail with a message to pay for it or ship it back. I feel like saying F that, they sent it to me unsolicited, it is now mine. I thought there was a federal law to that effect. This happen to anyone else? What would you do?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:15:21 PM EDT
Last year, the NRA sent me a video called "Ten Guns that Changed the World". Again, it's just a repackaged Tales of the Gun. However, the info that came with it gave me the choice of either keeping it and paying for it, returning it, or just keeping it. I chose to keep it. I ignored future mailings asking me if I'd like to pay for it and start receiving more in the future. After a few mailings with no reply from me, they stopped asking. It did come with a pretty cool collectors coin with a Springfield rifle on it. Just keep the video and ignore any future mailings about it. If someone sends something to you in the mail without your request, you can keep it and you are under no obligation to pay for it. [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:16:06 PM EDT
Posted by Ratters...
...they sent it to me unsolicited, it is now mine. I thought there was a federal law to that effect.
View Quote
That's my understanding as well. Seems to me like the NRA sent you a nice new FREE video. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:17:56 PM EDT
They sent me and my dad that, we both waited, being in no hurry at all to send something we didnt want back. Well NRA started spamming us with letters says return it or pay, but no you dont have to, you will just be annoyed to death.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:18:43 PM EDT
Option 1: Keep it. You didn't ask for it and have no duty to ship it back to them. Option 2: Write "Refused" in big letters with a marker across the package and put it back in the mailbox. Option 3: Pay for it. I sometimes get stuff in the mail I never ordered or asked for. I usually choose option 2. It's a sleazebag tactic to send something and hope people will pay for it. It really pisses me off that the NRA is sinking to that level (and this isn't the first time I've heard of them doing this very thing).
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 9:20:29 PM EDT by CavVet]
There is a [url=http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/merch.htm]law[/url]... Straight from the USPS website....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:30:59 PM EDT
My video came with a box postage paid to return it. Did yours? If they had offered the video series on DVD I would have jumped on it and gladly paid for it. [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:48:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CavVet: There is a [url=http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/merch.htm]law[/url]... Straight from the USPS website....
View Quote
According to that website, what they are doing is illegal. If I start getting spammed about it maybe I will threaten notification. Sorry, I just hate those kinds of marketing tactics. I don't remember if it came with a return box, my wife opened it. Oh well, free video I guess.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:50:49 PM EDT
they called me one time and asked if it was ok for them to send me a video.. if I wanted it, I could pay.. blah blah blah.. I basicly told them "spend their money more wisely, defend the RKBA." they didn't like that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:17:23 PM EDT
"finders-keepers"
View Quote
I didn't know that was a LAW.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:45:47 PM EDT
Yep, I got it too. Personally, the vid was okay, nothing spectacular. They later send me a letter DEMANDING that I cough up money for payment or send it back via the enclosed box, I called them up to tell to take me the mailing for the video division. I think the NRA has formed a new division in order to make more money, and these vids were sent out as gimmicks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:40:24 AM EDT
I got it a few months ago and forgot about it. Fiqured I'd keep it to. Then a few weeks ago got the damn we want your response...ie...(money) letter's, sent it back with that free cheesy-ass coin too. They are a royal PIA but I still belong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:17:59 AM EDT
One of their telemarketers called me a couple years ago. The promo was a leather-bound book on the "Guns of the West." I told him no thanks, and he kept pushing that this book was free and if I didn't want the full series of books I was under no obligation and could keep the first book. To get him to go away I said, "Fine, send me the book." Upon receiving the book I took the enclosed card and marked it "cancel", then returned it. Then I started getting bills for membership fees. Wait a minute- I never said I wanted to join anything! The guy was just pushing the books. I concur that these resources could be better focused into direct RKBA action.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:37:45 AM EDT
I also received it. Then I also got spammed asking for money or the video back. But by then, I had thrown away the box it came in, so I couldn't return it. Eventually, the spamming stopped. Of all the episodes, why did it have to be Guns of Valor? That's my least favorite episode. And no, I didn't appreciate them sending it to me. I really need to call them and get them to settle down. I sent them a little extra money once, and since then, they've spent that money and my entire membership fee for the next five years sending me letter after letter asking for more money. It's really quite disgusting. I've literally received 5 letters a week for the last two years. I've never answered a single one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:54:49 AM EDT
Your nra dollars at work. When will you get it?? [url]www.nrawol.org[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:46:39 AM EDT
Outdoor Life did the same thing. i got a deer hunting video and a grunt call. they said if i didn't want the movie to send it back and i could keep the call. i kept them both. they stopped sending letters after 6 months
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:19:07 AM EDT
Same thing happend to me, I kept the coin and sent the video back. What got me was they STILL tried to charge me for the damn video AFTER I sent it back. They eventually stopped asking for that money. Next time around, I am just gonna keep the stuff. "Finders Keepers." he he he
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:24:21 AM EDT
It would be legal for the NRA to do this if these provisions were in the NRA membership agreement which you sign and agree to when becoming a member.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:35:15 AM EDT
Take a close look at the fine printing on this junk mail - it doesn't come directly from the NRA, it is sent by approved marketing firms that print the stuff up and send it out on the bet that they will get enough response to make a profit. When you send $20 in response to the latest solicitation, let's say the marketer gets to keep a buck - if 10% of the NRA membership responds, that was a good payday for the. Basically they are fishing for suckers. I got that video last year - it looked like someone had stomped the package, so I tossed it; the dunns started rolling in about a month later - I called the vendor and NRA member services and told them not to send me any unsolicited merchandise of any form, ever again, and that someone else was eating the cost of the video.
Top Top