Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2005 5:51:03 AM EDT
Is anyone else sick of iTunes' idiotic copy protection?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:51:50 AM EDT
no
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:54:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
no

It doesn't annoy you that you can't take your song files and put them on an non-apple device? Because that is annoying the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:55:21 AM EDT
I don't have a non Apple device, so no. I can see where it would be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:56:13 AM EDT
I just burn them to CD's. I haven't had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:58:30 AM EDT
Why would I use iTunes? That's just lame. (as you are finding out)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:59:54 AM EDT
Just download an app that converts apples file back into an mp3 and then move it. I had one but can't remember the name of it. Only thing I didnt like that is that after you convert it back it doesnt have the song/album info.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:01:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By s1rGr1nG0:
Just download an app that converts apples file back into an mp3 and then move it. I had one but can't remember the name of it. Only thing I didnt like that is that after you convert it back it doesnt have the song/album info.

I am using a converter right now called JHymn. It preserves all the album info and scrubs away all the proprietary copy stuff.

Still, it sucks to have to do that to put stuff on my new MP3 player.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:01:21 AM EDT
Google JHymn....

Fixes that problem for you!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:01:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
I just burn them to CD's. I haven't had a problem.

CD burning isn't a problem, but if you want to rip the music from the CD to an MP3 for your player, then it croaks because of the copy protection.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:03:48 AM EDT
<--same problem

<---found the same solution several months ago

I rarely use it, though - I rarely have a need for my mp3 players - I'm always near a PC or radio.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:06:44 AM EDT
Another vote for don't use it. I get CDs and rip them as required. No Copy protection to bother me. Generally, unless you're buying Top 40 New music (ie: shit), the CDs are non-infected.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:08:02 AM EDT
Their compression algorithm on the Itunes store music isn't the best either.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:08:36 AM EDT
I don't know why, but I haven't had this problem yet, and I just ripped roughly 280 CD's to MP3 files for my iPod. Maybe the newer release of iTunes has done away with this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:08:46 AM EDT
It does bother me that I can't swipe my song files to another machine but all in all the positives of the iTunes/iPod combo FAR outweigh the negatives.

I think Jobs wanted to have it the way we did (Remember the "Rip. Mix. Burn" campaign?) but the best he could do was what we got. The record companies are very strong. (And what's up with them wanting to raise the iTunes prices??? If anything they should be LOWERING the prices! I haven't purchased any songs from there but dang, I think they'd make a KILLING if they only charged 25 cents/song!)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:09:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mike-R:
Another vote for don't use it. I get CDs and rip them as required. No Copy protection to bother me. Generally, unless you're buying Top 40 New music (ie: shit), the CDs are non-infected.

I have used iTunes to buy specific songs that I wanted that weren't in my CD collection, which is fine and dandy for just using them on the computer, but is now a problem since I am trying to get the MP3 player (my first) up and running.

Had to have something to listen to while I am waxing cars on the weekends....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:09:39 AM EDT

Generally, unless you're buying Top 40 New music (ie: shit), the CDs are non-infected.

Answered my question before I even asked it.

How about ripping with Media Player and then copying the folders to iTunes?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:10:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mandingo:
Google JHymn....

Fixes that problem for you!

Research File Sharing methods instead. The old standbys are still the best. You could spend your life converting iTunes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:10:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gus:
I don't know why, but I haven't had this problem yet, and I just ripped roughly 280 CD's to MP3 files for my iPod. Maybe the newer release of iTunes has done away with this?

The problem is on music purchased through iTunes. The music you already have on CD doesn't get a copy protection slapped on it. (Thankfully)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:12:50 AM EDT

Generally, unless you're buying Top 40 New music (ie: shit), the CDs are non-infected.

I use neither WMP nor Itunes, so I don't know if this is possible. If Itunes can import encoded files from your HD, then I don't see why it couldn't be done. That is, if Itunes supports WMA.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:02:54 AM EDT

I use neither WMP nor Itunes, so I don't know if this is possible. If Itunes can import encoded files from your HD, then I don't see why it couldn't be done. That is, if Itunes supports WMA.

I actually ripped most of my CD's before I ever got the iPod, using Media Player, as 320kBPS MP3 files. You have to go in to options and specify that or it will default to WMA or something else. I also had to set iTunes for that as well, and simply imported the folders that Media Center had already made. If I had a smaller iPod I'd probably use more compression, maybe the default 128kBPS.
Top Top