Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2017 10:02:29 PM EDT
I just got my XL Big Green Egg delivered and assembled today and I have no idea how to use it or how to smoke brisket!  I don't have the plate setter piece for it yet, but I plan on running by the BBQ store tomorrow to see if they have one in stock. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just got my XL Big Green Egg delivered and assembled today and I have no idea how to use it or how to smoke brisket!  I don't have the plate setter piece for it yet, but I plan on running by the BBQ store tomorrow to see if they have one in stock. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298/IMG-3081-191828.JPG
View Quote
Go to Google.
Enter this in the text field.
site:www.ar15.com brisket

It's not the first time someone has asked.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
In the spirit of 4/20

Roll it up and light one end
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
While not definitive guide or anything, but watch Franklins brisket series on youtube, its short and loaded with the basics. West Texas BBQ is best BBQ.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
do some dry runs on keeping the temp at one place for a period of time before you throw a $40 hunk of meat in it.

and something someone once told me about them, its like driving an oil tanker, you start turning 30 minutes before to make it. meaning that the way that thing holds heat you slowly bring it up and just leave your vents cracked to where your sweet spots are at (something that just takes time to learn).

once you get it to hot, it can take hours to cool off
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
With a new smoker practice on a few whole chickens first. Learn how it likes to burn before you jump into a brisket.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
thats not a smoker, its an expensive grill.  where do you put the wood to keep the smoke going?  your brisket looks like its going to be way to close to the fire.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Apply rub of your choice.
Set smoker to 250
Smoke for 15 hours or until meat hits 195
Allow meat to rest
Profit
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Eggs are incredibly easy, but your first smoke shouldn't be a brisket.  Do a pork shoulder or Butt.  You can learn the smoker and not mess up a pricey piece of meat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Amazingribs.com had an amazing Texas brisket recipe.

Number one tip.

Cook to temperature not time!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Already been said. Don't do brisket for your first cook. Grill some burgers, chops, or a butt as mentioned. Learn the cooker before jumping on a piece of meat thats tricky enough for someone who has experience. Butts are very forgiving and hard to screw up. Very good choice.

Welcome to the egg cult. You'll love it. I own 3!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazingribs.com had an amazing Texas brisket recipe.

Number one tip.

Cook to temperature not time!
View Quote
No, cook to texture, not temperature.  The conversion of collagen to gelatin is a chemical reaction that is a function of time and temp.  It's done when the consistency is right.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Eggs are incredibly easy, but your first smoke shouldn't be a brisket.  Do a pork shoulder or Butt.  You can learn the smoker and not mess up a pricey piece of meat.
View Quote
This op
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Meat church BBQ Holy cow rub.

Trim excess fat off brisket. Leave a minimum of a 1/4in however.

Rinse brisket in cold water.

I rinse mine down with bourbon.

Then put a binder on. I've had good luck with both mustard and olive oil.

I use meat church BBQ Holy cow rub on mine.

Set egg for 235-250.  

I assume you have the BGE charcoal. I'd get some fruit wood chunks of your choice. Cherry, apple, hickory. Whichever flavor you like. Toss a few in with the charcoal.

I use 1.5 hours per lb for time reference on my briskets.

At 145-150 I wrap in foil. Finish temp for me is 200-203.

Edit

You can see my brisket pics on the last egg thread you had.  Another poster is right. Cook to texture not temperature.

I've had briskets be done at 195. Others done at 207.  It is what it is. I find the 200-203 range to be the most consistent range though since most thermometers are +/- a few degrees.

I'll be doing a full packer brisket this weekend. Just pulled it out of the freezer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Learn to control the temperature with a dry run or two. Make sure that you have a good thermostat. (both meat and smoker, lots of folks use Maverick) Go to http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ read about how to select, rub, prepare, smoke a brisket.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Listen to the above. I had an egg, easy to control the temp when you have experience with it. But if it gets to hot it can take ages to get down to reasonable temps. Do a pork butt first.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No, cook to texture, not temperature.  The conversion of collagen to gelatin is a chemical reaction that is a function of time and temp.  It's done when the consistency is right.  
View Quote
This!  When a probe will slip in like butter, it is ready.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Another good starter cut of meat is a beef chuck roast.  It's like the pork shoulder of beef.  Cheep easy and hard to screw up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Made a 19lb Brisket on Easter in my Kamado Joe.
Trimmed the hard fat off of it and applied a good coat of rub the night before.

Placed on 250 smoker at 0600

At 1030 it was at 160, wrapped in foil and added some liquid. (used onion soup)

Pulled off at 1330, let rest 1 hour covered, then an hour uncovered.

Was heaven in my mouth....

Sadly no photos of it sliced...It was a feeding frenzy with 11 people in the house...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Good choice on the Egg. I ended up with a Large as a gift and it's been incredible, makes the most consistently good food of anything I've been around!

I've been pulling a lot of my info from smokingmeatforums.com, everything I've followed from there has been fantastic. I haven't cooked a brisket yet, I've got a couple waiting in the freezer for the right weekend.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
thats not a smoker, its an expensive grill.  where do you put the wood to keep the smoke going?  your brisket looks like its going to be way to close to the fire.
View Quote
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

I have an expensive smoker that will do 8 large briskets and I have the EGG. I have smoked probably 20-25 briskets on the egg in the past two years. It is a pain if you need to add wood during a smoke but it will do a brisket on one load of good charcoal.

OP, I assume you did get the "Plate Setter"? If not you will need one to smoke anything, otherwise it is just an expensive grill. The big thing is getting the temp where you need it. The will take a little practice and then when you think you have it mastered it will take a little more time.

Salt & Pepper ONLY and lots of it! I like the flavor of the beef, not a bunch of spices. Just my opinion
I normally run it at about 260
I put a foil pan with water between the place setter and the grill for a little moisture.
Cook to 190-195, pull and wrap to rest for at least 1 hour.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Remember OP is a rookie. Do you think he knows what the texture should feel like during his first cook?

I'll remember your advice while I'm defending my brisket championship tonight. Turn in time is tomorrow at 3pm if you want to try some.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#24]
You need to break in and season your Egg before doing any serious cooking with it.  You need to learn how to adjust the temperature before putting on an expensive cut of meat for a long cook.

Make sure you use good quality lump charcoal.  Don't get that Cowboy stuff.  Royal Oak is actually better.  The BGE kind is Royal Oak with more larger pieces.  

It took me a few attempts before I learned how to use it effectively.   I would suggest you first use it as a grill to break it in and then as a smoker.

I also would not try to bring it up to really high heat at first.  That factory felt gasket will burn out.  You need to get a Nomex gasket for it if you are going to use the Egg for high temperatures.

You can turn out amazing food with one.  It is so much easier to use than a offset firebox smoker. You give up like 5% flavor but getting 90% easier use.   It is a great tool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Remember OP is a rookie. Do you think he knows what the texture should feel like during his first cook?

I'll remember your advice while I'm defending my brisket championship tonight. Turn in time is tomorrow at 3pm if you want to try some.
View Quote
If the OP can't effectively wield a toothpick, he's got bigger problems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

I have an expensive smoker that will do 8 large briskets and I have the EGG. I have smoked probably 20-25 briskets on the egg in the past two years. It is a pain if you need to add wood during a smoke but it will do a brisket on one load of good charcoal.

OP, I assume you did get the "Plate Setter"? If not you will need one to smoke anything, otherwise it is just an expensive grill. The big thing is getting the temp where you need it. The will take a little practice and then when you think you have it mastered it will take a little more time.

Salt & Pepper ONLY and lots of it! I like the flavor of the beef, not a bunch of spices. Just my opinion
I normally run it at about 260
I put a foil pan with water between the place setter and the grill for a little moisture.
Cook to 190-195, pull and wrap to rest for at least 1 hour.
View Quote
I have cooked dozens and dozens of briskets on my BGE over the years.  I usually just do a long cook at 220 without any wrapping.  I cook to 200 and then let it rest.  They always turn out fine.

This weekend I am going to try the Arron Franklin method.  I will cook at 275 through the stall and then wrap with butcher paper until it is tender.  Of course his method is with an offset firebox smoker but it should work with with the BGE.  We shall see how it works.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Best tip I can give you us to go by touch and texture to determine doneness and use internal temp as a loose guide.  Probe should feel like sliding into butter.  I find this is generally around 203*.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Related questions include "What religion should I follow?" and "Who should I vote for?"
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I use whatever dry rub sounds good at the time.  Smoker at 225 with Hickory wood. Pull it at about 190. Wrap it and rest it in a cooler for about 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have cooked dozens and dozens of briskets on my BGE over the years.  I usually just do a long cook at 220 without any wrapping.  I cook to 200 and then let it rest.  They always turn out fine.

This weekend I am going to try the Arron Franklin method.  I will cook at 275 through the stall and then wrap with butcher paper until it is tender.  Of course his method is with an offset firebox smoker but it should work with with the BGE.  We shall see how it works.
View Quote
When I said wrap that was after finished. I wrap it then let it rest. Looks like I cook a little hotter than you.

This thread go me hungry for brisket. Heading to the freezer and getting one out to thaw. I'll put it on late tonight and cook over night or early in the morning
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I use whatever dry rub sounds good at the time.  Smoker at 225 with Hickory wood. Pull it at about 190. Wrap it and rest it in a cooler for about 30 minutes.
View Quote
Just SALT & PEPPER! I've done it with different rubs but the absolute favorite here is SALT & PEPPER!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
do some dry runs on keeping the temp at one place for a period of time before you throw a $40 hunk of meat in it.
View Quote
This exactly, and why I started with lots of chicken in the beginning with my stick burner, to learn it and how to control the heat before getting too adventurous.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#35]
This book is the best thing I've read for BBQ in a long time....the first half is his story and very interesting, the second half is all about how he cooks and recipes.

First and foremost learn your smoker.  If you can spare the money to try briskets fine, that's what I did and my friends never complained about drinking beers and eating varying qualities of brisket.  But some people prefer pork butts because they're more forgiving and much cheaper.

It took me 4 briskets on my setup to get it right.  The 5th was heaven.  The first 4 were OK but all had something not quite right.

For my brisket:

Best quality brisket you can find.  Prime if you can, but I can only get Choice Black Angus by me right now.

I put it on a roasting rack in the fridge the day before it's gonna cook to get nice and dry.

Pull it out about an hour and half to two hours before your cook to come to room temp.

50/50 Salt and pepper rub that's it, apply about 15 minutes before going on the smoker.

225-250 temp on the smoker.

I wrap at 145-160 in butcher paper depending on the color - when I hit the color I want the paper goes on.  Butcher paper is great because it lets some air through so you don't totally lose your bark whereas foil keeps the most moisture but you can lose a lot of delicious bark.  No wrap gets amazing bark, but it's very easy to end with a dry brisket if you don't spritz and keep a full water pan.

Generally it's done around 203, but can be higher or lower - need to learn to feel when it's right.  The point will jiggle just right when the fat renders, but you have to catch it early otherwise it will dry out the flat.

ETA: This and this changed my BBQ life
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While not definitive guide or anything, but watch Franklins brisket series on youtube, its short and loaded with the basics. West Texas BBQ is best BBQ.
View Quote

That guy is a maestro, and after watching his brisket video on YouTube I took the plunge on my next brisket.  Trim and prep, salt & pepper rub, and "the stall".  Worth a watch.

Brisket is awesome, but something like a pork butt/shoulder would be an easier first run on a new setup.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
190?  I've never had a brisket anywhere near done that low.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Just remember the brisket is in charge. You supply the smoke. It will determine when it is done.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Get the digiQ electronic temp control fan.  Saved so much hassle and trouble of possible ruined meats.

Also, stack big chunks of wood on bottom to let air flow through, then medium then small.

Get a wireless thermometer for meat and grill, never have to step outside really
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never cook to temp, cook to tenderness.  When my thermometer can go through the meat without effort it's ready.  But I generally start checking at 190.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Go to Google.
Enter this in the text field.
site:www.ar15.com brisket

It's not the first time someone has asked.
View Quote
Yeah. Heaven forbid, someone actually starting a discussion on a discussion forum.

And every topic on arfcom has been discussed before.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I love bbq.  Watching Franklin's videos got me wanting a smoker.  So, December several years back, we made a trip to Austin for some BBQ and also got a OK Joe's Highland from Wallyworld (double discount situation).  Made some mods to it and have it running the same temperature all across the cook surface now.  Used a wireless digital thermometer for the first 3 or 4 cooks.  But now, I can look across the living room, through the dining room and out the back door and see the 2 screw-in thermometers and know what the temp at the cooking grate is by where the temp reads in the lid.  

I have used salt and pepper exclusively since from the beginning of my quest (Texas trip) to come up with tasty stuff.  People are amazed when I tell them the rub ingredients.

This week though, the wife brought home a discounted (expiration date was next day) brisket and I wanted to try something new.  Found 3 recipes that intrigued me, and settled on this:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried savory (I know, I had to look it up too...)
2 teaspoons cayenne

Except, I forgot the cayenne.  

It was awesome.  Made me want to do one with some hot in it.  I had not realized I forgot the cayenne at that moment.  Also made me want to do one with less everything else and more brown sugar.  One of the other recipes I found was more like that.  

From 2 days ago:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Only weird thing this time, is no smoke ring.  Not sure why.  

Something easy to try, is sausage.  Grab 3 or 4 packages of Johnsonville brats.  Remove the casings from 4 of the brats, roll all the sausage into a ball or loaf.  Roll it around on a plate of whatever rub you want, and smoke it until internal temp is correct.  Google said 160.  Been a while since I've done them.  Slice them up and mmmmmmm.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#43]
cant help you since you have a BGE (aka a grill)

offset is the only way to go
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
cant help you since you have a BGE (aka a grill)

offset is the only way to go
View Quote
You're so wrong.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#45]

I did a brisket and a pastrami last time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#46]
The Royal Oak lump from Walmart is the same as the BGE charcoal.  

Some of my other work:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You're so wrong.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Definitely break in your grill on other things first, pork shoulder, is IMHO, the easiest thing to smoke well.  

For about $150 you can build a Heater Meter setup that will control your BGEs temp perfectly, and give you up to 3 meat probes, and reporting to your phone/web browser. 

You still, IMHO, should have a fast instant read thermometer.  Thermopen is having a saleat $59 right now.

I tried a bunch of different charcoals, and have settled on Fogo.  A 35lb bag from amazon will last you a long time.  Break it up with a hammer as needed to get chunks roughly golf ball sized for long smokes.  Save all the finer pieces for grilling at higher temps.
Amazon Product
  • Premium All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal
  • Delicious Hardwood Smoked Flavor
  • Lights quickly and burns hotter and longer

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Location:  Free state. That can own a mossberg shockwave and BBQ in several different ways.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Since you're all assembled. 

I'm doing a whole 14lb packer that I need done at 6:30 tomorrow night. 

Better to throw it on at midnight tonight at 225 (butcher paper at 165), and potentially have it sit wrapped in my cooler for 5 hours (3 is more realistic) or drag my ass out of bed and put it on at 3am?

It'll be on my Akorn.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top