Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2006 10:21:39 PM EDT
I'm a little buzzed right now, can't get the fuckin slide stop to pop back in.

So do I set the recoil spring and plug first and then the slide stop, or the slide stop first then the plug and bushing?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the exact same problem when I first reassbled my 1911. Give me a sec to see if I can find the internet site I went to.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You can actualy do it either way, one is much harder than the other.  Sober up and try it again.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Here we go, www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

Almost at the very bottom of the page is what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can actualy do it either way, one is much harder than the other.  Sober up and try it again.  

Bastard!

Actually having the plug and spring in almost gets me there and seems the most doable, but I can't get the damn stop to go that final click in  

I have the Kuhnhausasen manual here infrontof me, but the things like War and Peace... no quick re-assembly instructions that I can see in my altered state  

Earlieer I was having the same problem with my Defender, but when I was cussing and swearing it actually fell in when I wasn't looking  

Of course the defendert has a double spring guid rod with no plug so it's adifferen equation.

Damnit!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So do I set the recoil spring and plug first and then the slide stop, or the slide stop first then the plug and bushing?

Okay, this'll take you through the steps.

1911 reassembly (using Kimber as example).

Sober up, then try again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the slide stop first then the plug and bushing

Thats how I do it

Rip

ETA: I think you need to get that flippy floppy thing on the barrel to line in the slidestop hole, then it will let the slidestop thing to go in the last click
(spoken so a drunk can understand)
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Seriously... do you  want a gun in the house that was assembled by a drunk person?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously... do you  want a gun in the house that was assembled by a drunk person?

Then again if the first shot gets that bad guy, you don't have to worry that when the slide nearly came off the receiver it got stopped just in time.  but may never feed again.

You look in the hole in the side so the little dangly thingy hole lines up with the hole in the handle piece and push the slide stop in most of the way then you push that longy top piece back a skosh more while pushing on the slide stop from the big end and as the long flata piece moves back the slide stoppy thing will go in all the way.

Then you get to mess with the twangy thing dangling out the front.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You look in the hole in the side so the little dangly thingy hole lines up with the hole in the handle piece and push the slide stop in most of the way then you push that longy top piece back a skosh more while pushing on the slide stop from the big end and as the long flata piece moves back the slide stoppy thing will go in all the way.

Then you get to mess with the twangy thing dangling out the front.

Wow you speak better "drunkinese" than I do.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Put the 1911 away untill you're sober.

That's not a suggestion, it's an order.

+1

when you sober up...

the trick to getting the final "click" in is to work the slide very slightly back and forth while inserting the link pin.  especially if you have a blued model, what looks right is about a micrometer from actually being right.  doing it "by feel" often works better than looking at it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#12]
No you guys are right.

My hands are all torn up tryin to put this thing together.

I'm ready to shove it up the nieghbors ass at this point.

I'll approach it tommorow in a sobor state.

Fuck!

I love this pistola.

It's a stainless, 1991A1, 5 inch, Lew Horton Special with Videcki  trigger,Bomar sights and double diamond grips.... It is unblievably accurate.

Just pissin me off at the moment.

Great centuries old, still contemporary pistola. but a bit of a pain in the ass to put back together three sheets to the wind.

Damn you John Moses Browning anyway  

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No you guys are right.

My hands are all torn up tryin to put this thing together.

I'm ready to shove it up the nieghbors ass at this point.

I'll approach it tommorow in a sobor state.

Fuck!

I love this pistola.

It's a stainless, 1991A1, 5 inch, Lew Horton Special with Videcki  trigger,Bomar sights and double diamond grips.... It is unblievably accurate.

Just pissin me off at the moment.

Great centuries old, still contemporary pistola. but a bit of a pain in the ass to put back together three sheets to the wind.

Damn you John Moses Browning anyway  

This might be the smartest thing you have done all day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I took some pics of this once for another guy who had about the same question. Let me see if I can dig 'em up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Ah, here we go:

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I took some pics of this once for another guy who had about the same question. Let me see if I can dig 'em up.

don't know if i was the original "that guy", but you did this series in a thread that i started on this topic, and it helped a ton.

i can now do it quite easliy while blindfolded, so thanks again.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't know if i was the original "that guy", but you did this series in a thread that i started on this topic, and it helped a ton.

i can now do it quite easliy while blindfolded, so thanks again.

This is only the second time I've posted these, to the best of my knowledge. So, I guess you're "that guy". You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate all he help fopr a drunk bastatrd.

This is whay ARF.com is so killer

You guys rock!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ah, here we go:

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSCN1042-WEB.JPG

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSCN1051-WEB.JPG

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSCN1068-WEB.JPG

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSCN1069-WEB.JPG

I see a slide stop scratch from the trigger up to the plunger hole, so you must have done it correctly.

Yeah I alredy noticed there's a bigass scratch from the triger to the side so I defiled it like every other knucklehead even though I only got about 150 rounds through this badboy.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ah, here we go:

I see a slide stop scratch from the trigger up to the plunger hole, so you must have done it correctly.

"Idiot mark" from the first reassembly. It's a right of passage.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ah, here we go:

My Springer has a little scratch from my first time too..hate that it messed up the stainless but I don't feel so bad now
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the help guys, and thank you for the pictures Subnet.

I am such an idiot!

You know why I was having so much trouble?

Cause I was attempting to insert the slidestop hook-thingy into the actual slidestop notch in the slide ... of course it will not fit in that cut out becasue it is too large ... and I could plainley see that today.

Actually a very easy design to put back together when you're not stuck on stupid.

I've gotta question for you all.

This was the first time I've assembled this pistol with the plug going in last(was very easy), but I was wondering what is the "proper" way to assemble a 1911?

Is it with the slide-stop pin being inserted last, or with the spring plug being installed last?

How did they train our troopers to do it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys, and thank you for the pictures Subnet.

I am such an idiot!

You know why I was having so much trouble?

Cause I was attempting to insert the slidestop hook-thingy into the actual slidestop notch in the slide ... of course it will not fit in that cut out becasue it is too large ... and I could plainley see that today.

Actually a very easy design to put back together when you're not stuck on stupid.

I've gotta question for you all.

This was the first time I've assembled this pistol with the plug going in last(was very easy), but I was wondering what is the "proper" way to assemble a 1911?

Is it with the slide-stop pin being inserted last, or with the spring plug being installed last?

How did they train our troopers to do it?

To start with they were sober.  I taught myself to do it using the old FM and IIRC it's leaving the spring out until the end.

See no scratches

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Put the 1911 away untill you're sober.

That's not a suggestion, it's an order.

No kidding, put it up, sober up, then come back and put it together.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I know eveyone else allready said it, but

WHY THE FUCK are you playing with a gun buzzed?

IDIOT!!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, this'll take you through the steps.

1911 reassembly (using Kimber as example).

Sober up, then try again.

Hey, where is the rest of that pictorial?  Do you have the complete reassemble, or just from magazine catch?

Thanks

Travis
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ah, here we go:

My Springer has a little scratch from my first time too..hate that it messed up the stainless but I don't feel so bad now

You aint the only one.   I like to think of it as a badge of manhood, getting a REAL pistol and all that !

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IDIOT!!!!

Travis

I was just playin with my toys, there were no bullets in it, or even near it.

Lighten up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IDIOT!!!!

Travis

I was just playin with my toys, there were no bullets in it, or even near it.

Lighten up.

Wouldn't be the first time an unloaded gun killed someone or just "accidently" went off.

DUH!!

Alchohol and guns(loaded or not!) do not mix, ever.

Sorry if you think I am being a prick about this, but I can't stress enough, never ever do that agian.

Travis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top