Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:29:35 PM EDT
I've got 2 large military bases within an hour drive. Ithink they have auctions there once in a while. questions for those that have been to them

what is usualy auctioned?
Are they worht the trouble
can money be made selling the stuff?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:47:11 PM EDT
You will want to go to GovernmentLiquidation.com and check out the auctions there. They are the auction company that handles all the .mil goods.

Be advised: people tend to get caught up in the 'bidding' and bid outrageous amounts on a lot of auctions. Freakin idiots pretty much ruin the opportunity to get anything at a decent price. Hell,
I've seen some of these idiots bid more for used shit than it costs new!

Before you bid on anything you will want to go have a look at it. I've bought stuff that looked good in the pictures and was thrashed in person.

GovLiqudation also charges a 10% over-ride on whatever the winning bid is. If you win an item with a $400.00 bid it's gonna cost $440.00 to pay for it.

Good luck. There is usually a lot of neat stuff at Ft. Lewis there in WA!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 4:49:50 PM EDT by shop_rat45]
I want to find a surplus HUMVEE!! (or is is HMVEE? eh what ever. You get the point.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:50:49 PM EDT
I found some cool stuff from the DRMO a couple years back when they were up here at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. They've relocated down to Ft Carson (Colo. Springs) and thats way too far to drive.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:56:43 PM EDT
govtliquidation

There's a link.

On HUMVEES....you'll never find one surplus. They have to be 'de-milled'. They are not manufactured to meet civilian National Hiway Safety Administration standards.

I understand that .gov cuts the chasis up before any of them are sold for scrap.

You can find parts....engines, trannies, etc....but not whole vehicles.

Duce and a halfs....now that's a different story!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:58:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 5:00:00 PM EDT by shop_rat45]

Originally Posted By pcsutton:
govtliquidation

There's a link.

On HUMVEES....you'll never find one surplus. They have to be 'de-milled'. They are not manufactured to meet civilian National Hiway Safety Administration standards.

I understand that .gov cuts the chasis up before any of them are sold for scrap.

I have seen them on Ebay for around $11k though. It looked pretty "mil surplus" I wonder?

ETA: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-USMC-1985-AMG-HMMWV-Slantback-Hummer-Humvee_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQitemZ4607368­711QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW Ouch!!! $45k for a 1985!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:58:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shop_rat45:
I want to find a surplus HUMVEE!! (or is is HMVEE? eh what ever. You get the point.)

I've heard from a friend of a friends barbers daughter's cousins stepson that the cut the humvees into 2 pieces before they'll sell them as govt. scrap due to liablilty issues.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:00:35 PM EDT

govtliquidation

There's a link.

I have seen them on Ebay for around $11k though. It looked pretty "mil surplus" I wonder?

Betcha they're built from pieces.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:04:58 PM EDT

govtliquidation

There's a link.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-USMC-1985-AMG-HMMWV-Slantback-Hummer-Humvee_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQitemZ4607368­711QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Ouch!!! $45k for a 1985!!!

Says that it was from an uncut frame sold to the public. Maybe they did it a while ago but don't anymore?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:06:59 PM EDT

You will want to go to GovernmentLiquidation.com and check out the auctions there. They are the auction company that handles all the .mil goods.

Damn outsourcing.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 5:35:11 PM EDT by NAM]

*snip*
Says that it was from an uncut frame sold to the public. Maybe they did it a while ago but don't anymore?

The Following Features are Included:
- Slant Back with Armor/Spall Package
- Fully Restored Gun Turret
- New KDS Glow Plug Starting System
- Military radios AN/VRC-12
- New Military Issue Captains Seats
- New Military Tires
- New Military Roof Insulation
- New Automotive Safety Glass
- New Washer Pump and Reservoir
- New Deep Water Fording Kit
- New Dual Antennas
- New ignition, door and hatch locks
- 24 month old C.A.R.C. Paint
- Pioneer Kit
- M35 Military Tow Bar
- 3 Point Harness (uninstalled)
- NBC Spray Canister
- Night Vision Scope Case
- Full Manuals in White Binders
- Operators Manual Bag
- MRE Heater
- Military Tool Kit
- Plus Lots of Spare Parts & G.I. Gear

I guess winner must supply their own "rock or something".
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:35:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NAM:

- New Military Tires
- New Dual Antennas
- Pioneer Kit
- M35 Military Tow Bar
- NBC Spray Canister
- Operators Manual Bag
- MRE Heater
- Military Tool Kit

For keeping reporters away?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT
As I understand it the DOT will no longer let any new HUMVEES be registered.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:01:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thee12nv:

As in straight from the Hummer assembly line, or converted Military vehicles bought by civilians?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:25 PM EDT

govtliquidation

There's a link.

I'll see your wager and add 5 that they are built on civvie "kits" companies sell kit frames that are almost the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:11:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By memyselfandi:

govtliquidation

There's a link.

I'll see your wager and add 5 that they are built on civvie "kits" companies sell kit frames that are almost the same thing.

Link? Now you have my attention.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:43:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BillLumberg:

I've heard from a friend of a friends barbers daughter's cousins stepson that the cut the humvees into 2 pieces before they'll sell them as govt. scrap due to liablilty issues.

http://www.amgeneral.com/corporate_faqs.php#6

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_hmmwv_howtobuy.php3

http://www.off-road.com/hummer/general/hmmwv.html

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:55:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NAM:

*snip*

- New Military Tires
- New Dual Antennas
- Pioneer Kit
- M35 Military Tow Bar
- NBC Spray Canister
- Operators Manual Bag
- MRE Heater
- Military Tool Kit

I guess winner must supply their own "rock or something".

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:55:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thee12nv:

As in straight from the Hummer assembly line, or converted Military vehicles bought by civilians?

As in converted military.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:10:38 PM EDT
The article linked was pretty informative. I guess you could theoreticly buy a used military HUMVEE from a foriegn military. Import it back into the US. I don't know how hard it is to get a US title on something like that....gotta guess it's pretty hard.

As far as the bump on the wager....we are comming from the same place....it could be about ANYTHING except purchased intact from DRMO.

Ever look into those little Swiss Army trucks, UNIMOGS? They are pretty cool and you can get one for about 10 grand. Mercedes diesel engines, auto tranny, they are pretty damn well built!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 8:22:29 PM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Here is the scoop on all surplus HMMWV's. They are all 84-86 USMC M998's that were sold when the USMC traded them to a defense contractor for some gear they wanted but as unfunded. These were then sold at a public auction, effectivley getting through a loophole in the demil policy. AM general saw too it that the loophole was shut really fast after that incident.

Every one was sold with a SF97, the government equivelant of a title, that said "For off road use only" and any titles obtained with them were supposed to have the same. The M998's you see on the road do not have this on the title anymore because the titles have been "laundered" to get that removed. They do not, however, meet DOT safety standards and will never will. Some folks advertise they have "upgraded" them to be compliant, however until the DOT crash tests several from that same year with the same upgrades they are not compliant.

Now most folks are saying no big deal, but keep this in mind: In todays litigous society imagine getting in an accidnet with such a vehcile then the other guys lawyer does a little reading and discoveres that you are driving a vehicle that does not meet DOT specs and had the title laundered to hide such. Bad news all around.

Having grown up in the surplus business, I miss the real DRMO auctions.... ones where I could go down, inspect all the lots, get a hotel, bid the next morning, pay, load and go home. Now unless I feel like bidding blind it takes two trips, one to inspect, and one to pay and load if you are the buyer. For the guys closer to the posts it is not much more of a hassle, but for guys like me who travel quite a ways it is not worth it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:24:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wash-Ar15:
I've got 2 large military bases within an hour drive. Ithink they have auctions there once in a while. questions for those that have been to them

what is usualy auctioned?
Are they worht the trouble
can money be made selling the stuff?

My father-in-law goes to them all the time. He reports the results are spotty. Sometimes there is good stuff, sometimes there isn't.

One time he went to on at Nellis Air Base and they brought out a set of oak furniture -- bunk beds, a big cabinet, a couple of coffee tables, etc. It was old stuff from base housing. So he bid twenty bucks and got it. When he went to pay the money and pick it up they informed him that he didn't buy just one set -- he bought the entire base collection of oak furniture. He had the shit stacked in his backyard for most of a year before he got rid of it all. Yeah, he made a profit on that one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:25:30 AM EDT

From what I have heard, unless you are a full-time mechanic and really love fixing things, you probably don't.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:07:45 AM EDT
The Government has surplused Humvees- they are not cut in half but aren't legal to register in a lot of states. If you are really interested in one get a copy of Military Vehicles Magazine (www.Militaryvehiclesmagazine.com) . You can find anything from parts to complete registerable vehicles there but they aren't cheap. By the way it is a cool magazine for anyone interested in any military vehicle from Jeeps on up. Rich
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:25:12 AM EDT
The MRE heater is a 24V DC electric heater. You can buy them on Ebay...
Top Top