Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 5:02:52 AM EDT
no, not Rome, NY. I was here last month.

Rome Italy.

Hotel suggestions?

Going w/ the wife in Oct and can't afford the expense account hotels like the Excelsior.

Actual quote from Excelsior concierge: "Need a helicopter Mr NoVa? Please follow me to the rooftop sir. We'll put it on your bill"
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:07:19 AM EDT
You should probably do as the Romans do. After all, you are in Rome.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:08:56 AM EDT
Check out Hotel Aberdeen. Near Termini train station. Very clean, but neither very fancy nor expensive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:12:26 AM EDT
I stayed here a couple of years ago with my wife-->www.hoteldesartistes.com/. It's about $100 a night. It's not the Taj Majal but clean and is within walking distance of the train/bus station.
I went the end of September so it was still very warm and not the peak tourist season. I rented a car and, boy, was that an experience.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:47 AM EDT
I haven't been there for a few years, but on my last visit stayed in a three star near the Spanish Steps. Go to a book store and page through some of the travel guides to pick out 2 or 3 star hotels. For chow I always asked the locals (carabineri, girls in the stores, workers at the tourist attractions) where they went to eat. Don't expect to do it in English though. Enjoy. I wish that I was headed back for a while.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:26:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 6:27:39 AM EDT by Mr_Happyface]
Forget Rome, it's lame.

When you get there, catch a train to a place called San Vincenzo, stay there.

When you get back you can thank me by IM.

It's on the west coast between Pisa and Rome, take the train to Piza and it should stop by there on the way.

It's Heaven.

I can't help you out with rooms though, I stayed in Hostels.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:41:48 AM EDT
Gator,

My wife and I got back from Rome like 3 weeks ago. It is hot-- really hot--- there and it was quite miserable. October should be a lot cooler for you. If, however, it is still warm, just be aware that most (if not all) affordable hotels DO NOT have air conditioning. So, if ya'll need AC you will have to pony up and go to an expensive hotel. Make sure you ask if they offer AC-- you will have to pay extra for it.

I loved the history, art and ruins but Rome is a filthy place and reeks of garbage. Not to mention all the B.O. from all the perspiring. If you've never been to Europe before, you are in for a REAL experience !

Have a good and safe time !!

Lawdog
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:58:07 AM EDT
Stay on the water in Lido Di Ostia.

It was great!!!!

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:55 AM EDT
We stayed near the train station, not too bad. On trips like that I have a hard time spending big $ on nice hotels because we basically use them just to sleep. We're out the door early and come home late. I'm not saying stay in a flea bag, we had our own bathroom (which is important to my wife). You should check out Rick Steves. He's a travel guru we've watched for years on PBS. He has a series of books called "Europe through the back door" which takes you to the places the locals actually go to and hang out in. For example, if you were in Chicago he'd tend to keep you away from the Michigan Ave. tourist traps and take you to Bucktown, Lincoln Park or Old Town. Check your library or buy his book. You won't be disappointed. We've used his books on numerous trips abroad and have never been disappointed!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:10:44 AM EDT
Tagged.

I might be going to Turin in a few months on buisness but hope to spend a night or two in Rome.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:30:10 AM EDT
I've been to Rome several times, but never as a total toursit. (I've seen most of the sights between business obligations)

It's just not practical to stay at the Excelsior (or anyplace else on the Via Veneto) for $650 a night when it's your own $$$

I went several times as a teen too....my parents actually lived in Rome for 6 yrs before I was born.

My wife has never been, so we're looking to do the standard tourist stuff...forum, colliseum, Vatican, etc.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:44:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lawdog:
Gator,

My wife and I got back from Rome like 3 weeks ago. It is hot-- really hot--- there and it was quite miserable. October should be a lot cooler for you. If, however, it is still warm, just be aware that most (if not all) affordable hotels DO NOT have air conditioning. So, if ya'll need AC you will have to pony up and go to an expensive hotel. Make sure you ask if they offer AC-- you will have to pay extra for it.

I loved the history, art and ruins but Rome is a filthy place and reeks of garbage. Not to mention all the B.O. from all the perspiring. If you've never been to Europe before, you are in for a REAL experience !

Have a good and safe time !!

Lawdog

Even the Romans flee Rome in late July and August. No offense, but I lived an hour away and you couldn't pay me to visit Rome in August. What were you thinking?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:51:27 AM EDT
Driver said "you couldn't pay me to visit Rome in August. What were you thinking?"

Well.... I thought since there won't be as many people there (i.e. tourists) that I will get to take in more sites and not spend my vacation waiting in line. Know what? There were still LOTS of people and LOTS of lines to stand in. One day we went by the Vatican and, I swear, the line to get in seemed to wrap around all of Vatican City. I'll bet the wait to get in the museum was 3 hours for the poor bastards at the end of the line.

Next time, I'll go in the late fall/winter for sure.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:53:54 AM EDT
I sent my first wife to Rome.

Not Rome, NY, not Rome, Italy.

I sent her to Rome around and find someone else.
Top Top