Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:01:46 PM EDT
I am looking to vacation in Prague next month, has anyone been? What is not to be missed in the city? I've heard stories about the crazy nightlife but I have no idea where to start.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:06:08 PM EDT

The old part of town is beautiful... bridges, castle, church, etc.
There are enough museums to keep you busy for few days.
Take a comfortable walking shoe as you will walk a lot.
The whole damn city is beautiful. Maybe the most beautiful city in Europe right now.
They have great beer too but food is only okay (for me and my wife anyway).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:07:33 PM EDT
No but I want to go.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:08:16 PM EDT
I am going to stay at the Intercontinental, anything close by?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:08:44 PM EDT
I've heard of Prague, which is almost the same as going there if you think about it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:08:52 PM EDT
Its a pretty hot place, plenty of "pro" and non-pro action, women are the least of your problems you will like "czeching" it out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:16:47 PM EDT
I have.

I used to be stationed in Stuttgart so we would drive over as much as possible.

Of all the eight years and many places I have been in the world, Prague takes the cake hands down.

What to do in the city? Well that depends on who's with you and what you want to do.

The clubs in town are really great, but that doesnt start until later on.

Here was our typical schedule:
1. Arrive in downtown "Old Square" and grab a room. Drop off all gear.
2. Hit the Irish Pub in the Old Square for lunch and drinks, I cant remember the name, but its in the Old Square and on the opposide side from the astronomical clock.
3. Head outside the pub to one of the open air cafes in the square and find a table to hang out at. Have some cold ones and BS with folks. TONS of other Americans will cruise through here so if youre alert you can pick them out.
4. Once it gets late enough, head out to one of the clubs (if you are into that). There are a TON.
5. Cant remember the remainder, usually a blur.

Next day:
1. Wake up and go back to the pub for lunch / breakfast, I HIGHLY recommend the beef stew they make with Guniess, its the best for a hangover.
2. Take a walk around downtown for a bit, and take in the city. Most of the older sights to see are in the downtown area.
3. Be sure to check out the US Embassy, and the Torture Museum.
4. U Flecku (I think I spelled it right) is the oldest drinking hall in the country, something like 500ad, go check it out.

I really wish I could remember more, but its been a while. I must say that everything about Prague was the best. The women are UNBELIEVEBLE!

You can party like no tomorrow, eat out every meal and only spend about 300 bucks in a weekend with hotel.

I hope you enjoy your stay, but dont forget to watch your back. Czech is still a rough place, I think the year before I started going Interpol raided a black market deal for Soviet weapons grade material.. Could be BS, but thats what the S2 guys will alwyas tell us.. Watch your back, and dont stand out and youll be fine.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:17:23 PM EDT
Hotel Intercontinental is in the old town so there are a lot of places to go and see. Most interesting places in Prague will be within 1 mile of the hotel. The castle and the old church is just accross the bridge.

BTW. there is a small bakery (don't know the name) thats just few block down the street from the hotel (exit the hotel and go right about 200 yards) that bakes bread/rolls in the morning that you can smell from the street. Have a seat in front of the bakery early morning and have some coffee and breakfast with great view accross the river. One of life's great pleasures.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:23:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 12:24:47 PM EDT by yobo]

Originally Posted By skygod:

You can party like no tomorrow, eat out every meal and only spend about 300 bucks in a weekend with hotel.

How long has it been since you been in Prague? Maybe its been a while?
Prague WAS cheaper than other Western European cities but now it is as expensive as other European cities.
First time my wife and I went to Prague was in 1993 and we were spending about $170 per day while staying in private bed and breakfast. We were living in Poland at the time so we were going every few months for R&R by train. In 2004 we went for vacation and were staying in Marriott and spending about $400 per day.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:31:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 12:32:00 PM EDT by wildearp]
Yes. Prague is the mother of all cities. I also spent many weeks in Uherske Hradiste. Most of that trip will be highly classified for a looooooong time. I, honestly, did not want to leave.

Have a local take you pub crawling, if you can. It is amazing!!!

Radegast beer is some of the best beer I have ever had in my life. It takes a lot for a homebrewer to admit that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:32:58 PM EDT

Awesome city. Lots of great old architecture and friendly people. Be careful of pickpockets. It's rampant there and the police are in on it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:33:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
I am looking to vacation in Prague next month, has anyone been? What is not to be missed in the city? I've heard stories about the crazy nightlife but I have no idea where to start.

Are you going alone/with friends or with family?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:40:17 PM EDT
Check out the bone church. It is a short train ride out of prague. Made by some sick bastard during the plague of human bones. Crazy..
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:45:05 PM EDT
You can take the train and see a lot of things out side of the Prague city.
On our 1993 trip my wife and I went to see a memorial for a city that was destroyed and razed and the whole population killed by the Nazi's during WWII. There are also concentration camp site in Czech Rep. Down south there are some beautiful vinards/winery... they make great wine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:46:18 PM EDT
I'm flying solo on this one, but this isn't my first rodeo, I travel overseas for a living. Just looking for first-hand info.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:47:40 PM EDT
Check out the square with the old clock. (Can't remember the name)
Take the undergound to St Michel's and then walk down Alchemist's Row to the river.
From there you can visit St. Charles bridge with all it's vendors and then walk to the Jewish Graveyard.
A great book to have would be the "Let's Go" guide.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:54:09 PM EDT
Is the African quarter referred to as the Black Prague?

-EvilJames
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:54:20 PM EDT
You can contact CZ factory to see about getting a tour of the factory.
You can get to Brno by train.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:55:52 PM EDT
If you go find these two party animals, Yortuk and Georg Festrunk. They will show you a swinging good time with all the foxes. After all, there is no other pair of Czech brothers who cruise and swing so successfuly in tight slacks!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:00:30 PM EDT
Two things not to be missed are the Charles bridge and the Castle. Absolutely beautiful. A big +1 on whoever recommended Radaghast, that is one of the finest examples of a real pilsner you'll ever drink. If your really into beer, you might want to try a side trip to Plzen, birthplace of the pilsner and home of some of best beers ever made.

Oh, and one more thing. If you do get a local to take you pub crawling, don't try to keep up. It will only bring you pain.

CO
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:23:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CasualObserver:
Oh, and one more thing. If you do get a local to take you pub crawling, don't try to keep up. It will only bring you pain.

CO

and a lighter wallet
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 1:57:28 PM EDT by dewoitine]
I was there a month ago and with Sicily it's one of my 2 favorite places.

pros:
You can eat in a very good restaurant for 8 bucks. Even if for a French like me the discovering of the KFC was a great moment
Women are hummm hotter than you can possibly imagine (if you can try to eat in the al Capone pizzeria near the clock tower you will understand what i mean ) .
Beer is cheaper than water (1 buck for a pint in a bar) and i'm speaking of pilsner urquell and of the true budweiser.
As yobo said the whole city is more than Beautiful.
The weather is warmer than you can expect (-4/4°C last month)
Seeing a local hockey game is a great experience.
The city is safe.
April is the best month for a visit.

Cons:
Museums are not on the same level than in some other european capitals and rather expensive (at least compared to the local standard), but the museum of communism, national museum and historical museum worth a look) .
The city is swarmed by tourists and you will not be warmly welcomed everywhere.
German can be more usefull than english.
Conventional Nightlife was a little desappointing for me but if you are interested by "exotic" distractions it's a great place.
Absinth is not so good than in France and cost nearly the same but it's the real deal (70° and neurons breaking) .
Oh and you will not learn the Czech in 1 week

(first post as a non team member )
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:56:33 PM EDT
Prague rules.

Great beer. 1$ a pint at the expensive places. I found holes in the wall that had pints for 11 cents. The same beer.

Food: Lots and lots of venison. Also those tasty purple potato pancakes.
Top Top