Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/16/2003 9:01:54 AM EDT
Tell me what you know. Leave the jap bikes out of this as I could NOT want a jap bike less. This bike would be for my wife.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:08:35 AM EDT
not any experince to speak of other than looking at what they had. I had heard good things about them, so I went and took a look. For me, they were too small, under powered and over priced. NOW, for your little woman, they may be just the thing! Have you taken her to see some?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:18:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 7IDL: NOW, for your little woman, they may be just the thing! Have you taken her to see some?
View Quote
Not yet. The local HD dealer is not a Buell dealer. I want to get some impressions before we go look. I have seen them within an hour drive used for under $3000. Around 2600 miles & 2 years old. I have a Sportster for her, but I think she is intimidated by it (understandable).
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:24:59 AM EDT
I rode one before I bought my sporty. I'd still like to have one to tinker with 'cause I hear you can squeeze some HP out of the one-lunger. They were doing a thing at the dealerships for a guaranteed trade in value at one time, don't know if they still are.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:36:13 AM EDT
[url]http://www.mybuell.com/[/url] [url]http://www.concretecountry.com.futuresite.register.com/[/url] Remember, smart people learn from their mistakes. But *really* smart people learn from other people's mistakes. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:42:25 AM EDT
The one I rode on the test ride did break down.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:10:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2003 11:42:11 AM EDT by Dolomite]
Ah yes - good old [url]mybuell.com[/url]... They don't call them "Be Last" for nothing, now do they? Harley employs more lawyers than engineers these days so just make sure you've got a good one familiar with your state's lemon laws lined up [b]before[/b] you visit the H-D dealer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:15:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:27:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2003 10:28:19 AM EDT by Gun-fan]
Originally Posted By TheRicker: Try a Ducati. They have a Monster 620cc that might be just the ticket for her. And, it's not Japanese. VIVA ITALIA! Here's my '99 Monster 900S [url]appliedinc.com/m900s.jpg[/url]
View Quote
What is the sticker on the Duc 620? None of the problems on the above web site surprises nor scares me. I intend to imediately replace/remove the auto choke feature. I have several CV carbs sitting in the shop to replace the stock one. Most of oil leaks mentioned are probably from the plastic inspection covers & can be dealt with easily. Remember the people posting on that site can't fix anything they have. Granted, they shouldn't have to as the bike is new, but I'm going in knowing what I'm getting into. Nallin Racing is doing mods that really pep up that little engine. You can even get a 720cc kit upon request with a claimed 70hp from a 1 lunger and 360lbs. [url]http://www.nallinracing.com/ekitbuellblast.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:49:08 AM EDT
The Monster 620i.e. runs about $6500 here in North Texas. I looked at one and I was really impressed. The price is about the same as a Japanese 600 but it has a v-twin, dual exhaust, upside down forks, etc. I think it's a great deal. Also, the 620s seat height is a little lower.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:41:16 AM EDT
Erik Buell used to race on a Ducati before he went to work for Harley and started to feel "guilty".
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:56:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dolomite: Erik Buell used to race on a Ducati before he went to work for Harley and started to feel "guilty".
View Quote
Dolo, Your anti HD opinions have been spoken so often in similar threads that its like a broken record. As it is obvious that you have nothing constructive to add, kindly refrain from posting further on this subject in this thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:13:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gun-fan:
Originally Posted By Dolomite: Erik Buell used to race on a Ducati before he went to work for Harley and started to feel "guilty".
View Quote
Dolo, Your anti HD opinions have been spoken so often in similar threads that its like a broken record. As it is obvious that you have nothing constructive to add, kindly refrain from posting further on this subject in this thread. Thanks.
View Quote
Actually:
In 1977 Buell became an Expert, riding his Yamaha in Lightweight Expert and a bevel-drive Ducati 900SS in Superbike. Buell nabbed a few top-10 finishes on his stone-stock Ducati.
View Quote
Buell ran only a few races in 1979 and 1980. With the company he worked for in deep financial straits and a "Buy American" mentality throughout the country, Buell couldn't in good conscience race his Ducati and Yamaha. But his experience on the potent TZ750 left him hooked on high-horsepower bikes. "That was really my love-the more power the better, as far as bikes were concerned, so I wanted to do a Formula One project."
View Quote
[url=http://americansportbikenight.inspiredsites.net/stories/storyReader$85]source[/url] I can't speak to him feeling guilty, but the fact remains that he did race on a Ducati.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:25:11 PM EDT
What about the Victory? [url]http://www.victory-usa.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:09:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 10:11:38 AM EDT by Dolomite]
View Quote
Jo tellin' me to shush? [b]Oh no you di ' int![/b] Here are a few of the infinitely more reliable and faster bikes the largest motorcycle manufacturer on the globe have designed and built right here in my country: [img]http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/images/model/c028_029_030_031_photos_all/motorcycles/2002/Valkyrie/LargeHoriz/Valkyrie_gall_large_02.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/images/model/c028_029_030_031_photos_all/motorcycles/2003/VTX_1800_Retro/LargeHoriz/VTX_1800R_gall_large_06.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/images/model/c028_029_030_031_photos_all/motorcycles/2004/Valkyrie%20Rune/LargeHoriz/Rune_large_08.jpg[/img] Harley, by comparison, is seeking to slap the feeding spoon right out the mouths of my people's children by gorging their crack-whore-esque cravings for cheap labor with smelly, greasy Brazilians (in all honesty I should say, smellier and greasier than the average Milwaukee-born wrench turner). Yes, lets all get behind the corporate fascist elite of Harley-Davidson, Inc. as they lubricate the cogs of their "rugged individualism" lie-machine with the blood of my brothers and sisters. A pox (a monkey pox to boot) upon you all. …Not for nothing - talked to Erik Buell once. Nice guy and I would've given my left nut to work at his company, but it just wasn't in the stars for me at the time...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:09:44 AM EDT
I have a Sportster for her, but I think she is intimidated by it (understandable).
View Quote
Try a Ducati. They have a Monster 620cc that might be just the ticket for her. And, it's not Japanese. VIVA ITALIA!
View Quote
Yeah, there's no way that she would be intimidated by something named a Ducati Monster. Dolo, did you get burned by Harley somewhere along the line?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:50:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gun-fan:
Originally Posted By 7IDL: NOW, for your little woman, they may be just the thing! Have you taken her to see some?
View Quote
Not yet. The local HD dealer is not a Buell dealer. I want to get some impressions before we go look. I have seen them within an hour drive used for under $3000. Around 2600 miles & 2 years old. I have a Sportster for her, but I think she is intimidated by it (understandable).
View Quote
They are that cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for. Hope you're mechanicaly inclined.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:00:49 PM EDT
screw tha buell POS get one of these: [img]http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_coll_leno/2001/8/recycled_jet_setter/images/tb_lg_0108AUCCAB.jpg[/img] [url]http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_coll_leno/2001/8/recycled_jet_setter/print.phtml[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:02:22 PM EDT
If its the one I am thinking of, They are fine bikes for beginners, my mom got one after her Honda Shadow putzed out, and she sold it immediatly, I mean it, for beginners. She will outgrow it quick. buy the duc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 12:11:50 PM EDT by Dolomite]
Originally Posted By hardcase: Dolo, did you get burned by Harley somewhere along the line?
View Quote
Me? Get burned by a Harley? Ha. I like Harleys, I really do. They make fine specks in my rear view mirror. "Harley Rulz!" I just grow weary of all the H-D maniacs, the kool-aid drinkers - the attitude that they think they're so superior to everybody else because they can afford to be in step with a marketing line. My favorite H-D fans to encounter are the ones that don't even own a motorcycle - they're the ones who know the most about the whole H-D philosophy. And then there's all the Harley Anniversaries: scores of CPAs, K-Mart Managers, and fat retired, civil service lesbians descending upon my town showing off their inability to handle a motorcycle… it stops being humorous after about the 50th accident.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:27:15 PM EDT
Lemmings
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:43:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dolomite:
Originally Posted By hardcase: Dolo, did you get burned by Harley somewhere along the line?
View Quote
Me? Get burned by a Harley? Ha. I like Harleys, I really do. They make fine specks in my rear view mirror. "Harley Rulz!" I just grow weary of all the H-D maniacs, the kool-aid drinkers - the attitude that they think they're so superior to everybody else because they can afford to be in step with a marketing line. My favorite H-D fans to encounter are the ones that don't even own a motorcycle - they're the ones who know the most about the whole H-D philosophy. And then there's all the Harley Anniversaries: scores of CPAs, K-Mart Managers, and fat retired, civil service lesbians descending upon my town showing off their inability to handle a motorcycle… it stops being humorous after about the 50th accident.
View Quote
[beathorse] You'll have to forgive me, all you anti-harley sheeple keep blurring together, what do you ride again?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:41:50 AM EDT
I ride a Vincent Black Shadow. No! Wait! It's a '94 Honda Magna (sort of like this one): [img]http://ng.netgate.net/~apratt/motorcycles/magna/front-side-med.jpg[/img] A 750cc V4. Mine has a Corbin Gunfighter saddle and I just put a set of forward controls on this week.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:01:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dolomite: I ride a Vincent Black Shadow. No! Wait! It's a '94 Honda Magna (sort of like this one): [img]http://ng.netgate.net/~apratt/motorcycles/magna/front-side-med.jpg[/img] A 750cc V4. Mine has a Corbin Gunfighter saddle and I just put a set of forward controls on this week.
View Quote
No, no, no. He said he wants a relatively new Harley so that he can immediately begin fixing it. Nothing historicaly reliable need apply.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:13:16 AM EDT
Heh. I was over at the house of a guy I work with and he was, *surprise*, doing his yearly spark plug change on his 1200 Sporty. Anyway, got a chance to look at the inside markings of his side covers, and *surprise again*, they apparently came over on a boat from good ol' Southeast Asia.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:45:14 AM EDT
So at what point did you jap bike guys decide that this thread was about you? I asked a simple question related to what I wanted know about. I stated simply that i DIDN'T want a jap bike. I like the HD's and Indians. Simple as that. I'm no fucking RUB, so it sure as shit isn't about some neo-status thing. I've been riding since 1980 or before if you count riding with my dad. I have 2 jap bikes now & 1 more on the way(440LTD, XT250, and XS650). 3 Harleys, 1 Indian and 2 old Triumphs. I'm sure there are some things desireable about the new jap stuff, but I think they are ugly as hell. Not one of the pics you have posted was in any way interesting to me. Possibly the shadow as it is styled after the HD. You guys are obviously dereft of mechanical ability or just don't enjoy tinkering if all you can cry about is changing spark plugs. Jesus christ, grow up. There are multiple reasons th enjoy the American v-twin. Torque, feel, sound, history, value etc..... I can't stand the boutique that is a modern HD dealership any more than you do. The HD wannabe's are however nowhere as hilarious as the fucking power rangers on crotch rockets.[img]http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/products/suits/alpinestars/smxsuit_files/smxxsuitbluandgrey.jpg[/img] I don't buy retail. I buy what I want after the initial depretiation. I know what things are worth & what I can get back after I have had my desired use from it. HD's are the best for this purpose. Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:53:51 AM EDT
Very well put gun-fan, but just like the recent threads on rap, there will always be lamers who have to weigh in on threads to post shit that is irrelevent & negative.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:01:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 10:01:50 AM EDT by Dolomite]
Norm - any idea what kind of bike Henry Rollins drives?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:33:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dolomite: Norm - any idea what kind of bike Henry Rollins drives?
View Quote
a huffy?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:37:38 AM EDT
LOL A HD guy making fun of guys in leathers, just goes to show the idiocy of the 'HD mindset'. Of course I guess if your bike will shake apart at anything over 80 mph you probably dont see the prudence in the avoidance of road rash. Buells are overpriced underpowered unreliable, if not outright dangerous, POSs, but if you want to put your wife on one, fine with me. Go for it, but dont come here whining if the triple clamp breaks, or any one of the other numerous and endemic problems occur.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 2:09:35 PM EDT by Gun-fan]
Silence, You obviously have a reading comprehension problem. Start back at the top. I want a BEGINNERS bike not a race bike. She is a 38 year old woman, not an 18 year old testosterone filled dare devil. Again, you show your lack of attention to detail when you assume (you know what that means) that I am anti leather. Far from the truth. I use it regularly for the very same reason you espouse. The point of that was to show Dolo & others like yourself that the boutique like things he asserted are rampany in all lines of bikes. I do however applaude HD for capitalizing on a market that they can make money on. Capitalisim at it's finest. I guess if Honda could do it they would. As to the final assertion that the Buell will break in the tripple tree area, what is your source of said problem? If you actually have some experience with the above I'd love to hear it otherwise the same old tired, dated fallicies are a waste of my time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:55:07 PM EDT
No I do not have a reading comphrension problem, but you might. No where did I suggest getting a 'race bike' (unless you are referring to joke I posted about the turbine powered bike of Leno). I simply said that buells are overpriced, underpowered, and unreliable, and they are. You would be much better off in price and reliablilty and ease of use to get a used 'jap bike', but you didnt want to hear that so I didnt say a word about that, or really recommend any bike to purchase. You are the one that made the crack out 'power rangers on crotch rockets' while linking to pics of REGULAR leathers (granted they are not custom leathers, but they are perfectly acceptable leathers). Those arent 'boutique' leathers like the 'Harley' (or honda, or kawasaki, and yes they do do it) named shit (which usually is shit compared to other companies stuff of the same price point), they are alpinstars. As to the triple tree, yes I know a guy that had a 2000? 2001? Buell whose frame at the T-tree split. Or started to split, luckily he noticed play in it and looked around before it broke on him in the middle of a ride. Buell (or the dealership he bought the bike from) claimed it wasnt their problem. I have read reports (on the net mind you take it for what it is worth) of other people saying they have had/seen similiar problems. The rest of Buells problems (oil leaks, carbs) you seem to already know about, and dont seem to be really concerned about them. I repeat, if you want to put your wife on one, then do, it is of no concern to me. If you HAVE to have the 'mystique' of buying an 'American' bike, whose parts are probably not 'made in America' (same as most every other bike company) go ahead.
Top Top