Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 10:45:58 AM EDT
I've used it at a prior practice.  

Our software company wants $700/Dr. per year to set up e-prescribing.

Wondering if there's other options.

Thanks!

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought Allscripts was free?

Thanks to Obamacare we will all be FORCED to use e-prescribing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Thanks!

AFARR

Every single day.
Works well
But just another way for .gov to keep track of things.

Many options, we are closed today.
Will see what we use tomorrow.

C
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Make a med student just phone in scrips to the pharmacy at the end of clinic hours. It builds character, at least that's what they tried to make me believe while glued to the phone until 7 or 8pm.  

I don't do office-based stuff, so really can't contribute anything useful to you. Sorry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

AFARR

Every single day.
Works well
But just another way for .gov to keep track of things.

Many options, we are closed today.
Will see what we use tomorrow.

C

Yes, I know it works pretty well....but want to check other options for the new practice...(i.e....the senior 'cheap bastard' Doc wanted to know if we could do better, so the "low guy on the totem pole that knows computer shit will take care of it").  

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Make a med student just phone in scrips to the pharmacy at the end of clinic hours. It builds character, at least that's what they tried to make me believe while glued to the phone until 7 or 8pm.  

I don't do office-based stuff, so really can't contribute anything useful to you. Sorry.

Oh, don't worry....under Obama Care/CMS Rules....since you aren't in the office, you probably can't get the extra $$....BUT they'll probably penalize you for not using it....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, don't worry....under Obama Care/CMS Rules....since you aren't in the office, you probably can't get the extra $$....BUT they'll probably penalize you for not using it....

Bingo. The carrot goes to a few folks. All of us get the stick.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You are correct:

"In order to avoid Medicare payment cuts in 2012 and 2013, all prescribers must be using E-Prescribing by June 2011 in order to avoid 1 and 1.5% payment cuts. The Medicare Fee Schedule for 2011, which was published in November 2010, requires physicians to e-prescribe 10 times by June 30, 2011, and 25 times by December 2011, and submit G-code G8553 on their claims. The cuts and e-Rx incentive program were authorized by the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act (MIPPA), and will impose a 1% penalty for 2012 and a 1.5% payment cut for 2013 for the failure to E-Prescribe."

Yeah, I'm just about done with Medicare. I've already told my partners that the first time a RACS auditor comes calling, all contact with .gov patients and reimbursement will  cease immediately. I will serve notice to patients and government and privately contract with whoever is willing.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not know the costs as it is going to get lumped in with our current EMR which will also be going through an upgrade after e-RX is in place.  But they use surescripts to route the scripts after they are submitted in the system.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worry less Obamacare as law has been voided ,It's unconstitional and implimation is block  -defacto injunction. Fl Fed Court ruling yesterday

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worry less Obamacare as law has been voided ,It's unconstitional and implimation is block  -defacto injunction. Fl Fed Court ruling yesterday

That's good news. The electronic record thing is a CMS mandate, meaning Medicare. AFAIK, it isn't affected by Obamacare.

One of our hospitals just went to an EMR last year. Our department hemorrhaged money in lost productivity combined with staff overtime for longer hours and hospital-mandated but uncompensated training.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's good news. The electronic record thing is a CMS mandate, meaning Medicare. AFAIK, it isn't affected by Obamacare.

One of our hospitals just went to an EMR last year. Our department hemorrhaged money in lost productivity combined with staff overtime for longer hours and hospital-mandated but uncompensated training.

I thought the bottom line was 2 Fed Judges said legal, 2 said Unconstitutional....likely to go to higher (USSC) courts.

We're going to EMR.    The Software company already has e-prescribing available (EMR is due in a couple of weeks...but we need the server).    I sat through a brief E-Rx demo today and the 'practice manager' was sitting beside me...she fell off the chair laughing when the guy started to talk about 'the office staff can enter this stuff'...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have yall recovered or still bleeding money and productivity?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Every hospital is hemorrhaging, unless they have huge endowments to cover operating losses.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks. I've been all digital since 2007.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have yall recovered or still bleeding money and productivity?

I haven't seen totals for the first quarter of 2011. It will take months for the dust to settle. I can tell you that hospital case volumes all over the western US have been down in 2010, and the computers didn't help that at all. It looks like the inefficiency from the system will be there a while. The "experts" told me to expect a year. I know other hospitals have never hit the same level of efficiency. It sucks, but is a moot point since the .gov is requiring it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]
E-pre from Quest Diagnostics/MedPlus.

It's cheap and works well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top