Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 10:59:22 PM EDT
Looking for a used uniform for a film.  I play a Lt. Col. in an Indie film.

Being former service (US Navy Corpsman), I know about the Stolen Valor Act, and this will never be worn off set, as this is a film by a bunch of former military vets (myself included).  The film does not degrade the Corps in anyway, shape or form.  It will be worn with the same respect it was given while in active service.  It can be in a "gently worn" condition.  When the film is finished, It will be put into a display.

Sizes:
15 1/2 neck
40 R Coat
32R pants
7 1/4 hat

Insignia and buttons would be nice.  No ribbons/rank, I will take care of that.

Cash paid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get a set of enlisted Alphas. They will be easier to find and nobody will know the difference.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
When it comes to USMC Uni's, hell, I don't know the difference.  Please educate me.  I was Navy, LOL, for God's Sake.  It is hard enough for me to even envision myself in a USMC Uniform.  But I promise to do it proudly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The waist pockets on the enlisted blouse are sewn flat to the body of the coat. On the officers blouse, well, what's the word I'm looking for?... Well, they aren't. IIRC, on the officers trousers, there is and extra belt loop on the left side between the hip pocket and the fly (total of two between the fly and hip pocket) The Officers EGA's have a thin, defined line (rope) around the fouled anchor. It's not molded on to the anchor like the enlisted EGA.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The enlisted EGA has cuba on it.
The Officers does not, because no USMC officer participated.

That one would almost always end up as a won pitcher of beer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
IM me.  I can help you out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why is Canada on both of them?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thats a neat bit of history

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because all it would take is to tell Canada that we have Marines and they would surrender to us?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't recall that. Source?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut up and color!

There's history, and there's Marine Corps History.

With the latter, such questions are not authorized.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Too bad you didn't post this a few weeks ago, I just threw away my Lt Alphas and they would have worked.

In reality, visually the officer and enlisted Alphas are the same, the only difference is a cut on the left hand side to allow a sword to be worn with a interior rig vice with a sword belt.  

The officers blues are worlds apart, from being a different color, having no pipping, separate epaulets and non-sown down pockets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Too bad you didn't post this a few weeks ago, I just threw away my Lt Alphas and they would have worked.

In reality, visually the officer and enlisted Alphas are the same, the only difference is a cut on the left hand side to allow a sword to be worn with a interior rig vice with a sword belt.  

The officers blues are worlds apart, from being a different color, having no pipping, separate epaulets and non-sown down pockets.

Had you ever heard that above explanation about why Cuba was not on the officer insignia?  Seems a simply matter of design practicality (two-metals vs. one) makes more sense.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
The enlisted ones are pressed in a mold, while the officer ones are multiple pieces and the nations are actually attached on to the globe.  

One officer cover emblem for the Alphas is around 8 dollars, I had to buy one last week . The service barracks and blues covers cost around 30-40 dollars apiece because they are more complicated to make.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The enlisted ones are pressed in a mold, while the officer ones are multiple pieces and the nations are actually attached on to the globe.  

It just seems easier to make a little scratch in a mold to represent cuba than to make somthign that small in a separate piece and have it "work."

The whole "No Marine officers went there, so that's why" story was new to me.  I was just wondering how common it was and if there was any historical validity to the idea that Marines would have gone somewhere sans officers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:56:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It just seems easier to make a little scratch in a mold to represent cuba than to make somthign that small in a separate piece and have it "work."

The whole "No Marine officers went there, so that's why" story was new to me.  I was just wondering how common it was and if there was any historical validity to the idea that Marines would have gone somewhere sans officers.

No

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't have a source.  Just what was taught to me by my NCO.  If you compare the two different EGA, the Officer one does not have it.  
I found on the internet the two different reasons.

1. They are made different and the Officer mold just doesn't have Cuba.
2. No USMC Officers served or died in 1898 invasion.

I have no proof, but when ever the two were compared my mates and I would win the bet.

I am sure that the same molds that were used years ago are not the same today, and technology has improved, so what would the reason be now?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Story of my life.  Day late or a dollar short.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top