Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 11:40:38 AM EDT
I wanted to remove the permattached Brake from a CAI CETME, and install a Flash Hider. I didn't see anything that looked like they'd drilled into the Brake, so I assume it must've been Silver Soldered on. Would a propane torch work ??? Or would the heat damage the barrel ??? Any suggestions ???
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
x
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
ATF spec was to use 1,100 degree solder or higher.  Thus, a propane torch will take forever, if it will work at all.  Remember that it doesn't matter how hot the flame gets, the metal has to get to the proper temperature, and that will take forever without a really hot flame.  Steel is a good conductor of heat.

However, I suspect that many brakes were poorly put on using solder paste, and what sometimes happens in this case is that flux simply starts acting like threadlocker rather than getting a silver bond.  As soon as you heat it up to 5-600, it might melt this, and come loose.  YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]
If it didn't hurt the barrel installing it, it won't hurt it un-installing it.

It really depends on which type silver solder was used. Some silver solders melt at approx 1000† F, some at 1450†F and, some in between. I'd try a MAPP gas torch instead of propane.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top