Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2013 4:04:12 PM EDT
I'm having a real issue with the one in my car.  It often will, upon insertion of a cassette, switch sides multiple times and spit the cassette out.  Quite often when it does this it will try to play the cassette and an extremely loud screeching noise can be heard over the speakers, which can happen multiple times before the tape gets spit out.  I think it may have damaged one of my tapes, but I haven't tried it on another player yet.  After doing the screeching thing multiple times, on a certain track the sound gets garbled and sratchy, with the music faint, and it won't play that track for more than a few seconds and before that stated happening would refuse to rewind to the beginning of the track.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with this thing and whether or not there is a fix for this issue?  Also, anyone know what stores carry head cleaner tapes.  The electronics stores I've tried don't seem to have them anymore.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It needs a new set of belts and drive tires.

99 percent chance that's the sum and total of what it needs,  plus of course a good thorough cleaning.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

99 percent chance that's the sum and total of what it needs,  plus of course a good thorough cleaning.

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that something that would require someone with technical knowledge and specilized tools to do?  I wouldn't even know how to get my radio out, much less disassemble it and replace components.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked 3 times to see whether someone had bumped a thread from 1983.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Had you banged on the dashboard three times with your fist?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I've looked at the yards when going to get other parts for my car, and whenever I find a car that would have the right radio the radio is always gone or it is completely trashed.  Seems like one of the first things taken out of cars.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Had you banged on the dashboard three times with your fist?
View Quote

Yeah, actually.  Wish it helped.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is that something that would require someone with technical knowledge and specilized tools to do?  I wouldn't even know how to get my radio out, much less disassemble it and replace components.
View Quote

It would help if it was someone who was familiar with them, yeah.

You really are just better off finding a working replacement, it will probably be cheaper and less of a hassle.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello the 80's called and wants their car stereo back
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The other problem I'm having is the inability to use adapters.  It spits them all out, even after disabling the cut tape detector (which requires me to disconnect my battery to turn off the radio, since the power button doesn't work; to turn it back on, I have to insert a tape).  Would this problem be due to what you guys are saying the issue is regarding playing actual tapes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Fucking tape player are you serious? Why not just get a cd head unit

Is this in a 89 Firebird?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hey now, my Jeep has a cassette player in it.

It of course doesn't work...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you try the cassette tape multi-tool?  It's a pencil.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
1980's first world problem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not terribly technical to take one apart but it's a pain usually with lots of little screws etc.  Plus you usually have to take the radio mostly apart to get to the transport.

It sounds to me like a label came off a tape and got stuck inside there but you never know till you open it up.

I successfully fixed one with that problem by applying a vacuum cleaner nozzle to the tape port while holding the dust door open .
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it a mid 90's Ford?  If so I have one I could send you for the cost of the shipping.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I am shocked, SHOCKED, at the number of serious replies in this thread.  What possible reason could a person have for wanting to repair an antiquated, inferior piece of technology that is remarkably inexpensive to upgrade instead?  If the goal is somehow to preserve a "classic", why not install a modern receiver in an inconspicuous location?  At least tell me this isn't your own vehicle and that some fucking eccentric lunatic is paying you an obscene amount of money to do this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

96 Lumina.

I can't afford to replace the radio.  Plus how am I going to play my tapes in the car without a cassette player?  

Actually, come to think of it, I could probably try plugging my Walkman into an AUX jack on a newer radio.

In any case, I have quite a few cassettes.  Miam Vice vols. 1 and 2, multiple volumes of MTV Party-to-Go, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Genesis Abacab, Best of Santana, and more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is it a mid 90's Ford?  If so I have one I could send you for the cost of the shipping.
View Quote

Chevy.  I'm not sure if they use the same radios or different ones, or if there is any compatibility.  I know Chevy installed the tape players as late as the early to mid-2000s.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

96 Lumina.

I can't afford to replace the radio.  Plus how am I going to play my tapes in the car without a cassette player?  

Actually, come to think of it, I could probably try plugging my Walkman into an AUX jack on a newer radio.

In any case, I have quite a few cassettes.  Miam Vice vols. 1 and 2, multiple volumes of MTV Party-to-Go, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Genesis Abacab, Best of Santana, and more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

96 Lumina.

I bet a lot of those albums could be found on MP3, or look on ebay for a rebuilt unit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Pull the tape player.   Wire in a 3.5mm audio input jack in it's place.   Buy a $35 sansa zip mp3 player and a 16 gig memory card for it.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Since we're on the topic of cassette players, anyone know how to record something from a computer onto a tape without the soud being muffled and overwhelmed by some sort of background noise (I assume from the movement of the tape recorder)?  I was using one of those cables with a male jack on each end.  Sound came out very crappy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
96 Lumina.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

96 Lumina.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Since we're on the topic of cassette players, anyone know how to record something from a computer onto a tape without the soud being muffled and overwhelmed by some sort of background noise (I assume from the movement of the tape recorder)?  I was using one of those cables with a male jack on each end.  Sound came out very crappy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Can you still buy blank cassette tapes?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

96 Lumina.

LOL, I figured someone would give that reaction.  I like the novelty and I have a ton of cassettes, so I might as well use them rather than spend money on CDs or digital songs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  That's what I used.  I actually have a bunch of blank cassettes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#29]
When I bought my truck it came with a CD and tape player.  It's probably around the last year that tape players were still an option.  I cherish that thing.   It's allowed me to revisit the music of my youth in the old cassettes I've saved.  A lot of dubs and stuff that's out of print.

Hope you get it fixed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am shocked, SHOCKED, at the number of serious replies in this thread.  What possible reason could a person have for wanting to repair an antiquated, inferior piece of technology that is remarkably inexpensive to upgrade instead?  If the goal is somehow to preserve a "classic", why not install a modern receiver in an inconspicuous location?  At least tell me this isn't your own vehicle and that some fucking eccentric lunatic is paying you an obscene amount of money to do this.
View Quote

Maybe someone has a lot of tapes? Heck, I still have some floating around I occasionally listen to. I even have, GASP, a direct drive Technics turntable floating around somewhere.

OP, found numerous wet type cassette tape head cleaners on Amazon. I'd try one of those before ripping it all apart.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

I was tempted to start trolling and ask how to integrate a phonograph into my car radio, since I have all these vinyl albums sitting around (which is true, as I have boxes full of them; I don't currently have a working player; the one I have broke).
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife's 2002 Vovlo has a CD / tape player in it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Great, now I have that song stuck in my head ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:Genesis Abacab

Those are supposedly the first 6 notes in the song

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Genesis Abacab

The only songs I listen to on it are The Brazilian and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (both of which were featured in Magnum, PI).  I don't mind having The Brazilian stuck in my head.  I really like that song.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought my dad was the only one who still listened to cassette tapes in his car... then again he still thinks it's 1987.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Both good songs ... and the Brazilian rocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only songs I listen to on it are The Brazilian and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (both of which were featured in Magnum, PI).  I don't mind having The Brazilian stuck in my head.  I really like that song.

Both good songs ... and the Brazilian rocks.

Made better by thinking of the revege montage the full song was played in on Magnum, PI (which is where I first heard it).
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
LOL.

I was tempted to start trolling and ask how to integrate a phonograph into my car radio, since I have all these vinyl albums sitting around (which is true, as I have boxes full of them; I don't currently have a working player; the one I have broke).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

You're killin' me.

Vinyl would be alright, except you'd need a laser pickup instead of a needle.

And laser pickups were a thing, but a short lived thing... I don't know too much about them.

Well quick goggles and I can see they're still making them: http://www.elpj.com/ so there.

Tape is the worst media ever devised by man.

Go to bestbuy and hand em $50, you drive away with a CD player installed.

Please think of the children, burn those fucking tapes.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

If you want to save your albums: http://www.amazon.com/ION-Profile-LP-Vinyl-to-MP3-Turntable/dp/B0029QRA1U
If you want to save your cassettes: http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/tape-express-with-headphones

Save everything in MP3 & you'll never have this problem again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

And waste a LOT of money making garbage sound like worse garbage.
WTFO
Just go buy/download the damn mp3s.

You can't tell me that $150 wouldn't replace his entire collection of vinyl and cassette.

He could go buy them in used CD form off Amazon for $1 ea and then rip MP3s from that, at least it would sound good!

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This is the correct answer, but if you don't possess the talent to get it out of the dash , I' m afraid it won't do you much good.  You could try to find one of those old D3   cleaning systems, or a Q-tip with isopropyl alchohol on it. Just so you know, the new car stereos are cheap, and can play music stored on flash drives.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You're killin' me.

And laser pickups were a thing, but a short lived thing... I don't know too much about them.
Well quick goggles and I can see they're still making them: http://www.elpj.com/ so there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

You're killin' me.

I'll keep the tapes.

Funny thing about the children, though.  I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster and I was driving some of the boys back from a backpacking trip we had just finished and I was having trouble playing one of my Dire Straits tapes because of the problem in the OP and so I ejected it and handed it to the boy in the passenger seat and asked him to put it in the case for me and he couldn't figure out how to put it in the case.  I had to guide him through it.  First time he had ever handled a cassette tape.

I didn't realize new radios were that cheap.  Last time I went with a friend to look at radios they cost a lot more, not including installation costs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, do you own a cell phone?

How would you compare using a phone while driving versus operating a cassette player and changing cassettes while driving?  I'm guessing the only reason there isn't a massive effort to ban cassetting while driving is that no one thinks there's anyone left doing it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This is the correct answer, but if you don't possess the talent to get it out of the dash , I' m afraid it won't do you much good.  You could try to find one of those old D3   cleaning systems, or a Q-tip with isopropyl alchohol on it. Just so you know, the new car stereos are cheap, and can play music stored on flash drives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Yep, I just installed one in my Jeep, $23 with free shipping off of eBay.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

WTFO

You can't tell me that $150 wouldn't replace his entire collection of vinyl and cassette.
He could go buy them in used CD form off Amazon for $1 ea and then rip MP3s from that, at least it would sound good!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTFO

One month subscription to a VPN would be cheaper.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

This thread has inspired me.

My Jeep has been too long without tunes, it's time to fix that.

Then I just have to figure out where to get tapes.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top