Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 5:08:11 PM EDT
And gave it a HP? In any Caliber? If so did you have decent luck with it or not? Yes, I know the Brit soldiers did make Dum Dums for a while before it was a no no, but how would a more modern bullet design work? If one built a holder and filed the tip, then put it in a vertical drill press and make the HP.  I'm really playing with trying it with SA .308 as it's CU jacket and lead core. Its just to see if I can make it a bit better and if it will expand at all. I remember a few setups that one could do this with the bullet but that was a while ago.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Attack that bullet with a drill press and report back..

Also. Start at the rear of the bullet(primer first). best way to not interfere with the jacket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
have a video camera so u can post it
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget, the bullet jacket is open at the base.  If you also open it at the tip, it is possible to shed the jacket and leave it in the bore as an obstruction for the next round.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't forget, the bullet jacket is open at the base.  If you also open it at the tip, it is possible to shed the jacket and leave it in the bore as an obstruction for the next round.

Exactly what I was going to post.

It's a good way to screw up your gun and possibly kill yourself.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
"Sometimes these things get knicks and burrs on 'em.....  this little sucker will take your head off at a thousand yards...."
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep,I know that they are open at the base. I'm talking about a SMALL HP. I would assume that the jacket is quite thick at the nose as are some of the other one's I have pulled. I'm talking about a 1/16-3/32 HP hole. I'm not talking any kind of accuracy here, I'm just curious as to whether it will do anything.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And gave it a HP? In any Caliber? If so did you have decent luck with it or not? Yes, I know the Brit soldiers did make Dum Dums for a while before it was a no no, but how would a more modern bullet design work? If one built a holder and filed the tip, then put it in a vertical drill press and make the HP.  I'm really playing with trying it with SA .308 as it's CU jacket and lead core. Its just to see if I can make it a bit better and if it will expand at all. I remember a few setups that one could do this with the bullet but that was a while ago.

You're talking apples and oranges here.  In the pistol world it is HPs; in the rifle world it is the SP.

You got too much time on your hands, with the wide availablitly of SPs on the market, you're still going through the trouble of whatever?

Drilling a rifle bullet to create a hollow point is not recommended practice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I seem to remember being told the British used to use a knife to cut a cross in the tip of the bullet, not file off the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top