Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 4:54:15 PM EDT
I've got one of those 400 disk DVD players.  Bought it in 09 - and it's got many thousands of hours on it.

Just the other day it says "Can Not Play" on the display.

Now, I know that late in 09, they discontinued making these machines.  I went to the Sony site and they do let you send it in for repair at a 120.00 minimum charge.

I suspect that the laser is shot on it, but it could also be ribbon cables as they are thin, and prone to cracking over time.

I guess I will have to go through the hassle of taking it to UPS, getting a huge box with packing nuts and just send it in.  UNLESS you guys have a history of where they just bust your shit up and it still comes back broken.

What to do...what to do......

(PS.  Local TV repair places won't even touch it).

And yes, I know that this is now a "throw away society", but no manufacturer even makes a 400 disk carousel now.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Rip 400 CDs to .mp3.

Store the same amount of content that was on the 400 CDs on a thumb drive an 1/8 the size of 1 CD.

Profit

ETA:  Just realized you said DVDs .  I would still do the same thin but with more thumb drives.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent a 9000es to a factory service center that was 10+ years old for repair. Was around $150 for repair and return shipping. No problems. But I did ship it in the original box
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
My 02 Sony dream machine went tits up..last repair was 400.00 bucks..could buy new
machine for repair cost..
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Serious question if you don't mind me asking: how much did you pay for it?  I ask because I used to work CE and we had a division that did CE repair.  I'm acquainted with what you may be charged.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, TC D5M, a state-of-the art (late 70's!) portable analog recorder.  Drive belt had broken.  They sent it back saying unrepairable, parts no longer available.  And they broke the latch on the battery compartment, the douchebags.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Serious question if you don't mind me asking: how much did you pay for it?  I ask because I used to work CE and we had a division that did CE repair.  I'm acquainted with what you may be charged.
View Quote
I think I paid 550.00 for it back when.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top