Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:00:10 PM EDT
I know it's a little soon to be thinking of what I am going to be carrying as my off duty gun since I have two months left of academy, but does anyone have any experience in carring an HK P2000 in either a .40 or a 9mm? I have tried the P2000 SK, and I was looking at the Glock 26 or 27, but I want something that will fit in my hand wihtout my pinky hanging over the bottom of the mag. And if you don't carry any of those off-duty then what are you carrying and why? If the weapon has been issued to you, do you like it or do you want to carry something else?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:35:20 PM EDT
Well, I'm not an officer, however, I hope to get in the Academy by years end. I do carry though and use a G19. I only mention this because you said you were thinking of the G26 or 27. I have good sized hands and the pistol fits nicely with no pinky hang. I run about 200#'s and it conceals pretty well. It needs more than a T-shirt to hide without a print, but in Colo I usually have a sweatshirt or fleece on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:48:20 PM EDT
I'm issued the Glock 22, but my chief lets me carry whatever I want as long as I can qualify with it. Off-duty, I carry a Para-Ordnance P12 45acp or a Taurus Millenium 9mm. I'm not a big fan of the 40S&W. Rather carry a 45acp or a 9mm. Carry whatever gun that fits your hands good and you can shoot good with. Sounds like the HK would be a good choice for you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:45:42 AM EDT
I carry a USP40 on- and off-duty.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:05:12 PM EDT
A USP40????? How do you do that, i always figured carrying a full size gun would be like putting a big sign on your fore head that says COP, you know? I mean no disrespect with that comment but why do you carry a full size gun and how are you able to do that without it being detected?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:16:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 3:16:46 PM EDT by jeager001]
I carry a P2000 .40 (the bigger one, NOT the SK) on duty and off. It is the weapon I picked.
It does fit the duel purpose design that HK intended pretty well.

Only complaint about it is that it is a little thick and can make it a little uncomfortable to carry.
I've been finding myself carrying my TLEII off duty a bit more when I can wear a jacket or shirt that can cover it adequately because it is thinner. But that P2K does hide pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:20:30 PM EDT
TLEII????? What is that?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 3:26:38 PM EDT by thedoctors308]

Originally Posted By FijiHKShooter:
TLEII????? What is that?

Kimber Tactical Law Enforcement II
A 1911 design.

USBP is issuing the HK2000 in .40 now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:57:26 PM EDT
Wouldn't you think that border patrol would issue something with a bit higher capacity because they may need more than 12 shots because they usually deal with multiple subjects?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:48:09 PM EDT

A USP40????? How do you do that, i always figured carrying a full size gun would be like putting a big sign on your fore head that says COP, you know? I mean no disrespect with that comment but why do you carry a full size gun and how are you able to do that without it being detected?

It's much easier than people imagine. I'm only 5'9" 165# and nobody's the wiser.

Blade-Tech IWB at 4 o'clock.

A hoodie, hawaiian print, sweater, button up shirt, or baggy t-shirt hides it well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 10:31:13 PM EDT by okguy91]

I am not a LEO but I have a carry perment for 10 year now . I can carry my Full size Glock21 or 20C or my full size Hk usp 45 . It all in how you dress and what holster you use. For the most part I carry my 27 or 19 In a inwaist band hip galco. for larger pistols a SOB work with a long shirt. I am a small guy 5'10 155 lbs. LIke a FBI friend told me you can carry most guns if you have the will and know how.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:16:03 AM EDT
Have you guys heard anything good about Black Hawks new CQC Serpa Technology holster? I figured that and the P2000 would go pretty good together. Comments? Criticisms?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:17:06 AM EDT
But why the full size rather than a compact or sub-compact?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:44:59 AM EDT

But why the full size rather than a compact or sub-compact?

Several reasons, most importantly: it's ONE gun, you take it off your duty belt and shove it in your off-duty rig. Better than dropping a couple hundred on another gun and spare magazines. Familiarity with the feel of the weapon and controls. You don't want your brain struggling to figure out what tool is in your hands when the shit hits the fan.

I'm not saying it's stupid to have seperate on- and off-duty weapons. I have my own fair share of guns. And I'm even planning on picking up a Kimber railed .45 for off-duty carry (and in hopes we can one day carry them on duty). Again, that's another full-size pistol though.

Why go compact if you don't need to? Before I was a deputy, before I had the HK. I lived in GA and had CCW, I carried a Para-Ordnance P-14. Again, in the waistband at 4 o'clock, nobody could tell. As Clint Smith said, "Your carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable." A full-size pistol normally provides higher capacity and more manageable recoil. Of course there are some very fine compact and sub-compact guns out there too.

It all boils down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:11:55 PM EDT

Have you guys heard anything good about Black Hawks new CQC Serpa Technology holster? I figured that and the P2000 would go pretty good together. Comments? Criticisms?

I've got a Serpa for my P2K it is my favorite open carry holster. Will be getting one for my 1911 (saw the question to TLEII was answered above!) as soon as I can get one that the rails will fit (I think the 2006 models will). It is a great holster. I'm a skinny guy and I find it hangs off my hip a bit too far for it to conceal well enough for my standards. Can work pretty well when wearing a jacket. I find the paddle pretty floppy but it works okay.
For typical off-duty conceal carry I keep it in a Blackhawk CQC IWB leather holster. Works great.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:50:45 PM EDT
I have the P2000 and the SK currently issued to me. I also use the Blackhawk holster with the Serpa retention. Both are .40 cal. As far as carry, I used to have a G-19 which is similar in size. I do find the P2000 does print more than the Glock did. If I carry on the belt, I usually have some sort of oversized shirt on and the combo seems to work. But if I wear something not overly big, it is noticiable.

As a result I usually carry the SK now. The SK just seems to be more versatile. It fits in anything designed to carry the P2000 and is a little more comfortable. There are magazine extenders, but I have not had any success on getting some (due to back order issues). If you are worried about capacity, carry a spare 2000 mag. It will fit in the SK, althought it sticks out more.

Both handguns are good shooters once you get used to the trigger. However, from an economical standpoint, I would not have purchased these with my own money. Both are a little pricey. Plus I grew to like the Glock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:07 PM EDT
Thanks for the info, i will be going back to college after I get out of academy and get on a department. Do you recomend using the Glock or the HK? I figured I would use something with the same trigger as my duty weapon, which will most likely be a Glock 22. Have you ever concealed carry with the Serpa?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:21:10 AM EDT

I know it's a little soon to be thinking of what I am going to be carrying as my off duty gun since I have two months left of academy, but does anyone have any experience in carring an HK P2000 in either a .40 or a 9mm? I have tried the P2000 SK, and I was looking at the Glock 26 or 27, but I want something that will fit in my hand wihtout my pinky hanging over the bottom of the mag. And if you don't carry any of those off-duty then what are you carrying and why? If the weapon has been issued to you, do you like it or do you want to carry something else?

I will be in the very immediate future. The P2000 LEM model has a pretty nice 2 stage trigger, the first pull is about 3 lbs and the break is in the area of 7 I believe. It will take some getting used to you if you are currently using a DAO service pistol as your current off-duty carry. Also, if you are use to slam charging your pistol with your mag, break that habit. The mag pinches like a mother.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:29:04 AM EDT

Thanks for the info, i will be going back to college after I get out of academy and get on a department. Do you recomend using the Glock or the HK? I figured I would use something with the same trigger as my duty weapon, which will most likely be a Glock 22. Have you ever concealed carry with the Serpa?

The HK and Glock have a very different trigger. Personally I like the HK LEM trigger better. I've also found that people used to Glocks that shoot my HK do not shoot it well because of the trigger, however I shoot their Glocks just fine. One think you will notice is the Glock 22 is far snappier recoiling than the P2K. The P2000 .40 is a pleasant gun to shoot.

I've concealed with my Serpa before. As I posted before a jacket or big shirt is necessary for me to do it well, but I'm a pretty lean dude. Even then I'm not very comfortable doing that as it does print pretty easily and I look wide enough that something seems off. It's not quite as pronounced if you are using the belt loop attachment and not the paddle. But, usually I'm using the serpa when I need to take my gun on and off a lot. Having the IWB option I usually opt for that because it just generally does a better job at concealment.
Top Top