Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/18/2018 7:27:25 PM EDT
Seems like it’d be a different gig...on the one hand there’s a lot of calls I expect you don’t have to worry about very often, but then again dealing with drunk morons, weirdos, etc on a plane sounds like way more of a headache than out on the street.

Any experience here? Better or worse than an “typical” cop job?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:11:27 PM EDT
Had a buddy work at DFW airport as airport police. He was mid twenties and it was his first police gig.

He said it was boring beyond belief.

They suffer from a stance that the people they run into are "customers" so there's not a lot of consistent run ins or proactive policing.

It's basically Disney security with arrecallsst powers.

Not saying they don't take some rough calls just that their posture is different and not as proactive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:11:03 PM EDT
It's not better or worse than a patrol job, it's entirely different.

Very much a "force protection" type deal like the Pentagon Police, Federal Protective Services, etc.

They handle calls at the airport and patrol airport grounds but that is the extent of the resemblance to regular police work.

I know a few people that went to an airport PD and one that came from an airport PD. The ones that went to it went to essentially retire and still get a check and the guy who came from it was bored as all fucking get out and willing to spend 6 years in the jail before he got to patrol in order to escape.

Take from that what you will.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:24:30 AM EDT
I worked at an airport for about three years in a couple of roles.

'Airport police', like said above, it's not like being a patrol officer at all.

In many places, you work a shift as glorified security / concierge services, then a shift as a firefighter and one as a EMT.

'Patrolling' consists of being visible, locking and unlocking stuff, and pestering security. You may sit at the checkpoint and try not to stare.

Some places, they have proactive DEA and ICE; I can't speak to that.

The ones in our state are POST certified; the pay isn't too bad, there's overtime, you will rarely make an arrest (that's bad publicity), so little to no court... it suits a certain lifestyle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:08:55 AM EDT
We lost lots of people to the airport PD in our area whenever they were hiring. The ones I know who left said it's boring but the ability to make double the pay more than made up for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:25:39 AM EDT
i feel that working at an aiport would keep you somewhat busy. Tons of people/stress/drinking.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:20:39 PM EDT
It's a contracted detail here. Mostly retired guys working part time to augment their pension, or guys from village PDs making more than they do for their primary agency. We fill in around the edges of the schedule when a shift there needs covering.
It's a very boring detail, for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:32:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2018 2:34:23 AM EDT by Epyon]
I worked at one for two months and discovered there are exactly three, and only three, types of people that work there:

1. People who want to retire but still like the idea of a paycheck.
2. People that are just starting their careers.
3. People that can't hack it other places.

Of the three sergeants I worked with/for:
-One was a retired security forces guy from the Air Force.
-One had been fired by at least two agencies, and had been arrested twice (while he was a cop no less, although acquitted), and a former alcoholic who was also a narcissist.
-The last one was recently arrested for Gross Sexual Imposition with a minor under 13 years of age.

Chief was retired from a big city, nothing but good things to say about the man. Most of the other staff was fine. Lots of old hats just waiting it out until retirement.

ETA: The entire time I was there, I got exactly one call for service....to a crash that was GOA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:05:38 AM EDT
Worked at a sea port when I first Got out of school and all the local agencies were on hiring freeze. It was simply a means to get an academy date. Miserably boring. It’s a retirement gig or like someone else said, where people go looking to get on anywhere to get certified or can’t hack it on the street
Top Top