Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/25/2005 8:09:18 AM EDT
I recently bought a t-shirt at my local Sports Authority. Man this stuff is awesome in keeping you cool! The only thing that discouraged me was the high price.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:11:46 AM EDT
You can buy the same stuff cheaper at Walmart/Kmart. I think it is made by Champion.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:13:00 AM EDT
I've got 2 pair of boxer briefs and one T shirt. LOVE EM. Be prepared for the first peel off after a hot day, it lets out all the smell at once.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:13:24 AM EDT
Yeah, it's impossible to find discounts on UA gear. It must be really high margin stuff because every time I see a Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority ad, they are pushing UA gear. Yet they never discount it.

I have some of their Loose Gear basketball shirts and they work well for the gym and hiking.

The "tactical" (there's that annoying word again) version of the UA Heat Gear can be found for around $5 off list. Vendors like Lightfighter.com carry it, but be prepared to wait.

There is a cheaper version made by Champion (?) that some people on this board have found to be pretty good at wicking away sweat. I've never seen it but people say it works well and costs a lot less.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:14:02 AM EDT
The only thing discouraging me from wearing anything like that in public is the designer appeal now.

Am I trendy to consciously avoid a trend?

Also, I have a hard time believing that the "loose fit" UA stuff works at all. The original UA worked in large part because it was tight to the skin. I imagine the loose-fit stuff was designed for the folks that want to wear the logo but aren't wearing it for any specific application, like under BDUs or, gasp, body armor.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:14:12 AM EDT
cabelas is selling it. I saw some in camo, too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:16:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ElCamino:
The only thing discouraging me from wearing anything like that in public is the designer appeal now.

Am I trendy to consciously avoid a trend?

Hell, I won't buy an iPod because of their ubiquitous nature.

[that and you can buy a better mp3 player for less money]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:18:34 AM EDT
I hear that the structure of the fabric in underarmour allows anyone, big or small, to take a full power shot from anybody.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:20:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:20:58 AM EDT
Under body armor it can't be beat. I was looking at the cheap stuff at Chinamart. I really want to get some of the underwear now. Hopefully it will stave off any more crotch pot cooking.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:20:59 AM EDT
I got a shirt as a gift. I like it - has a pretty cottony feel. Most of my synthetic shirts are Road Runner generics though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:21:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ar15bubba:
I hear that the structure of the fabric in underarmour allows anyone, big or small, to take a full power shot from anybody.

LMAO!

It is good stuff. When I worked at Galyans sporting goods awhile back we got it 35% off.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:21:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Campmor has similar synthetic t-shirts for $ 5, haven't tried them yet.

Aimless, do you mean the HydroDuct shirts? I have a few of them and I'm a bit disappointed in that they don't wick moisture very well. If you're considering purchasing them, I'd recommend you pass.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:24:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:28:12 AM EDT
i have a couple of their shirts, i've seen them at Dick's and a gun store in Frankfort near me sells them also
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:36:01 AM EDT
The UA Loose Gear are what I have. Found Black/Grey/OD and Coyote at Academy.
Works great when you are hot and working. Not exactly my cup of tea to chill out wearing as I don't care for the feel of polyester. Again, I'll emphasize that I do wear them when performing strenuous or activity where I know I'll be sweating.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:38:37 AM EDT

Also, I have a hard time believing that the "loose fit" UA stuff works at all. The original UA worked in large part because it was tight to the skin. I imagine the loose-fit stuff was designed for the folks that want to wear the logo but aren't wearing it for any specific application, like under BDUs or, gasp, body armor.

I wear them as undershirts.
Couldn't tell you how they compare heat gear, but they are comfortable, and they aren't cotton.
No one sees the logo.
And some of us aren't built for form fitting shirts, eh?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:46:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stryfe:

I wear them as undershirts.
Couldn't tell you how they compare heat gear, but they are comfortable, and they aren't cotton.
No one sees the logo.
And some of us aren't built for form fitting shirts, eh?

Me included

If they work out well as far as keeping you cool, then I might look into them more. I just see too many people wearing them around as t-shirts, seems a little silly to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:19 AM EDT
Good stuff and worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:52:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 12:11:21 PM EDT by zer04evr]
Ive been impressed by how good the tight fitting underarmour works. I havent tried the loose fitting one yet.

How do the copycat products work for you all?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:31:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By zer04evr:
How do the copycat products work for you all?

I've got one of the knock-offs from Wal-Mart. Works well. The least little bit of sweat + breeze = niiiiiice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:58:13 PM EDT
Supposedly the damage induced to skin with UA gear when exposed flash heat/fire etc.. is a lot greater than when cotton is worn. Might feel great but it sucks when they're peeling it off of you after some vbed attack... I got a kick out of some former O's on fox news the other day complaining that our boys weren't issued these things...

ymmv
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:31:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 0612Devil:
Might feel great but it sucks when they're peeling it off of you after some vbed attack...

Peeling? Try scrubbing.

I agree; anyone who wears UA or other synthetics like that in that kind of threat environment is going to be sucking if bad shit happens.

I remember reading a story about the attack on the USS Stark in 1987. One of the crew that was fighting the fire was wearing nylon gym shorts and they ended up MELTING TO HIS CROTCH! Fuck that!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:39:26 PM EDT
Yet another sacrifice of comfort over style.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:11:45 PM EDT
I recently bought some of the walmart stuff after hearing first hand that it worked
I like it.
now I just need to improve my body shape a bit so that I don't look as bad in it
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:21:53 PM EDT
The wicking type shirts from basically any Mfg. work pretty much the same. I have tried a bunch of them. The main problem with these shirts is the fact that when they wick away the moisture, it is held in the shirt. When worn under a vest (body armor) they work very well, until you take the vest off. The result is that the wicking shirts is SOAKING wet, and you have to change to another t-shirt if you want to wear just a uniform shirt without vest (when indoors in a secure area).

This may not be a problem for the public at large, but it sucks for LEO's that go in and out of secure areas a lot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:38:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jthuang:

Campmor has similar synthetic t-shirts for $ 5, haven't tried them yet.

Aimless, do you mean the HydroDuct shirts? I have a few of them and I'm a bit disappointed in that they don't wick moisture very well. If you're considering purchasing them, I'd recommend you pass.

There are several brands, but I have not tried any of them.

OK. The Hydroduct shirts I will give a definite thumbs down, despite the low price ($5 per shirt). They are advertised as 100% poly but feel like cotton. I wore them while doing some drywall/painting work and I didn't notice much of a wicking effect at all. They also pill very badly when washed. In sum, I consider them marginally better than a regular cotton t-shirt and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone (unless you just want a t-shirt for $5).

I know the UnderArmour stuff is expensive (as is Nike Dri-Fit) but at least they work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:49:44 AM EDT
I officiate college and hs basketball. I wear the hot weather gear (t-shirt/tights) and I have never been so comfortable doing games. I have tried other brands in the past. UA performs the best. I just recently bought some UA cold weather gear for hunting this fall. If it works as good as the hot weather gear, I will be extremely pleased. I am with ElCamino on following a trend, but this stuff works and the logos are not seen when I wear it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:52:01 AM EDT
I love UnderArmour. If it wasn't so expensive, it would be all I wear. I wear the form fitting shirts to golf and run in, they work great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:55:07 AM EDT
i survived the army in Nike Vaporwick. without it i dont know how i would have gotten through the hot nights and the cold days wearing kilo upon kil of gear. almost every picture of mine form the army you can see on my collar a nike swish.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:23:58 AM EDT
I have UA and the Walmart knock off stuff. They both work great!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:41:20 AM EDT
I wish they had this when I played in college. 1000 times better than the cotton shirt and compression shorts back in the day.

I use both heat and loose. They both work great. Just depends on whether you are wearing them under pads.

Nothing feels better than a breeze when you are in 95* weather and wearing UA shirt, compression shorts and shorts. You feel a chill.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:58:18 AM EDT
Since I've been deployed I've tried both hot and cold underarmor I have to say I dont realy care for the hot gear but then I dont like extreamly snug underclothing, or trying to get my Intercepter vest dry and cleaned, Nothing worse smelling than 12 + hours in a hot vest.

However I love the Cold weather gear Great stuff at keeping me warm and dry.

Sgt Bingham
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:08:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
I've got 2 pair of boxer briefs and one T shirt. LOVE EM. Be prepared for the first peel off after a hot day, it lets out all the smell at once.

Um ... yuck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:13:36 AM EDT
The smell is an issue thats true. But I wear them every day under my vest. The product cant be beat. So much better than cotton that soaks up the water and just sits there.
Top Top