Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 12:33:52 PM EDT
Seems like that was the thing a while back.  Anybody still use it?

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope its snake oil.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, but I used to put it in everything.I guess it never did any harm.

Now I just use synthetic,Mobil 1 to be exact.I just got my oil anylyzed at 4k on my truck they said it had penty of life left in it and it was still very clean ( I use K&N AirFilter to).

go synthetic and ditch the additives!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I forget what era this stuff was so popular.......learly 90's?   It was suppose to of been the miracle oil, wasn't it?  Teflon magic.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Now I just use synthetic,Mobil 1 to be exact.I just got my oil anylyzed at 4k on my truck they said it had penty of life left in it and it was still very clean ( I use K&N AirFilter to).

Same here.........I'm starting to get on the synthetic band wagon as well.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I do, use it in my tranny now too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
my old man is a distributor for the stuff.  it's snake oil for sure, but i get it free so i still use it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I use Mobil 1 in my Neon.  The longest run I've had with a subsequent analysis was 8000 miles.  It was hardly even broken in yet...I could've poured it back in.  This summer, I'll test at 10000 miles.  

People I know who I trust to be fairly technically knowledgable and not prone to pulling things from dark and smelly crevases assure me that unless there is something wrong with my engine I won't see my Mobil 1 go out of spec until at least 12000-15000 miles.

As for the Slick 50...tried it years ago, ditched it, and ran Engine Restorer additive in my 'Cuda.  It actually did do /something/, since the oil consumption would drop significantly with the Engine Restorer versus the same oil without the additive.  The seat-of-pants dyno said the car ran better, too.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I use 1Lube as my gun oil. My whole unit used it in the Army. The stuff is great for guns and it naturaly breaks down the carbon. Its made by slick50.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Mobil 1 for additives for transmission, power steering, and gas I use Lucas products www.lucasoil.com/ . they work great and mechanics around me use it even though thier shops don't sell it. One of them uses Amsoil products , but they are expensive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I always liked the Prolong commercials.... First drain the oil then dump sand in the motor.....STILL RUNS GREAT!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I used dura lube in a grand cherokee that had 225,000 miles when i sold it to a co worker he has been driving it for a year and it still runs great, 30 miles each way to and from work is what he drives everyday.

But i won't use Slick 50 as laxative!!!!!

The only engine i had Blow up on me was a engine i put that crap in. It tured into flakes of teflon under heat, and boom!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.........I'm starting to get on the synthetic band wagon as well.

vmax84

I sent some oil out  to be tested at 9k and it was still good. Just to be safe I change it every 7500 though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I always liked the Prolong commercials.... First drain the oil then dump sand in the motor.....STILL RUNS GREAT!

Every one of those I saw used a Chrysler Slant Six engine for the demonstration.

That engine was indestructable /anyway/.  Cars rusted and fell apart with the engines still running.  It was a fantastic engine.  

I would have been impressed if they had actually used an engine that COULD die, like a Toyota 4-cyl or a 1980 GM passenger car diesel.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
My grandpa does.  He won't shut up about it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every one of those I saw used a Chrysler Slant Six engine for the demonstration.

That engine was indestructable /anyway/.  Cars rusted and fell apart with the engines still running.  It was a fantastic engine.  

I would have been impressed if they had actually used an engine that COULD die, like a Toyota 4-cyl or a 1980 GM passenger car diesel.

Jim

Ouch, comparing a jap 4 cylinder engine to an early 80's GM diesel wanna be just ain't right!!!  Night and day difference.  

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top