Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 4:07:03 PM EDT
So I'm a big audiobook fan.  I've already blown through 2 of my favorite series.  The Harlan Coben "Myron Bolitar" and Michael Connelly "Micky Haller" books.  

Looking for something new to start and the reviews on the Mitch Rapp series of Flynn books looks interesting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm a big audiobook fan.  I've already blown through 2 of my favorite series.  The Harlan Coben "Myron Bolitar" and Michael Connelly "Micky Haller" books.  

Looking for something new to start and the reviews on the Mitch Rapp series of Flynn books looks interesting.
View Quote

They're okay. But if you're knowledgeable about guns, CQB, or how covert actions actually happen you might not like them. They're the normal spy books written by an author ignorant on guns and tactics. Lots of one handed pistol shooting, completely silent suppressed pistols and rifles, lots of combat rolling to clear rooms.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were pretty good.  Better in the beginning than by the end, but by far superior to Brad Thor's stuff.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
They are great books, but if you read the series in order, it gets just a bit old.  His Mitch Rapp is a bit over the top and he gets whiney about how the politicians are out to get him and no one cares, blah, blah, blah.  

Overall, 7.5/10
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Give John Ringo a try.  His post apoc Under a Graveyard Sky series is pretty good.  I am listening to it for the first time, have read the series at least a dozen times so far.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
His first book, Term Limits, was pretty entertaining. I read like 4 or 5 of his series when I'd go on vacation, it gets to be kind of repetitive.  Good guy kills bad guys, bureaucrats try to screw him.  He's probably one of the better "paperback thriller" authors in that he actually understood pacing and character development.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
They're okay.  Once you've read a couple of them, you've read them all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

His first book, Term Limits, was pretty entertaining. I read like 4 or 5 of his series when I'd go on vacation, it gets to be kind of repetitive.  Good guy kills bad guys, bureaucrats try to screw him.  He's probably one of the better "paperback thriller" authors in that he actually understood pacing and character development.

View Quote

I have read all of Vince Flynn's books.  Term Limits is easily the best of the bunch.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought they were pretty entertaining.  RIP Vince Flynn
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought they were pretty entertaining.  RIP Vince Flynn
View Quote

I enjoyed them all.

I think I read somewhere that Kyle Mills will continue the Mitch Rapp series.  I like his books too.

RIP Vince Flynn
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I read "Term Limits."   It was OK but didn't grab me enough to seek out anything else.

I enjoyed Patrick Lee's "The Breach" series a lot more and have re-read them a lot.  There are only 3 books but I pimp them every chance I get.     He also has a new series, the Sam Dryden novels, of which one has been published and the second is just about to hit the shelves.  

There isn't an awful lot of gunfighting, but the premises, action and characters are better than Vince Flynn's IMO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I read "Term Limits."   It was OK but didn't grab me enough to seek out anything else.

I enjoyed Patrick Lee's "The Breach" series a lot more and have re-read them a lot.  There are only 3 books but I pimp them every chance I get.     He also has a new series, the Sam Dryden novels, of which one has been published and the second is just about to hit the shelves.  

There isn't an awful lot of gunfighting, but the premises, action and characters are better than Vince Flynn's IMO.
View Quote

I read those.  Interesting books, though I gotta admit I found the ending a bit disappointing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I like his books. They're fun.

I read once that he tried to own copies of the handguns used in his stories to make those details more accurate. Kind of cool.

He died from cancer two years ago now I think.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll give one a try.  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I read them all on my Kindle.  Sadly, there will be no more "real" Mitch Rapp with the death of the author back in June 2013.  Of course, I read that his estate will be releasing new books (including the one Vince was working on when he died).  I may give the new author a shot.  Read about it HERE.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I read those.  Interesting books, though I gotta admit I found the ending a bit disappointing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the ending was OK but it left the inevitable consequences offstage.  You kind of had to infer what the result would be, which I know didn't sit right with a few readers I know.    I wouldn't have complained had the final book been longer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've read a bunch of them--they are decent reads.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They are great books, but if you read the series in order, it gets just a bit old.  His Mitch Rapp is a bit over the top and he gets whiney about how the politicians are out to get him and no one cares, blah, blah, blah.  

Overall, 7.5/10
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Vince Flynn's books are good.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
"Term Limits" is great.

The author's series of books are entertaining reading, and the characters are likeable, but the concept behind "Term Limits" is what appealed to me.

That's all I can say without violating CoC.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#20]
They are terrible. I mean just fucking awful. Some of the worst, schlockiest shit I've ever read. I found one at an air terminal in AFG and read it while I was waiting for a flight. Worst fucking book I've read in 10yrs. Mitch Rapp is basically a superhero with no flaws and is the most elite warrior-assassin-marathon runner-lady seckser-genius EVAR!!!!

Dumb fucking book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"Term Limits" is great.

The author's series of books are entertaining reading, and the characters are likeable, but the concept behind "Term Limits" is what appealed to me.

That's all I can say without violating CoC.

View Quote

I felt like I could get put on an FBI watch list just for reading it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They are terrible. I mean just fucking awful. Some of the worst, schlockiest shit I've ever read. I found one at an air terminal in AFG and read it while I was waiting for a flight. Worst fucking book I've read in 10yrs. Mitch Rapp is basically a superhero with no flaws and is the most elite warrior-assassin-marathon runner-lady seckser-genius EVAR!!!!

View Quote

You won't have to worry about getting stuck at the airport with any new Vince Flynn novels. He died two years ago.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

So he's basically Flint?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any chance we can find anything that you have published?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I've either read or listened to all of them. I liked the series even if they are all pretty much the same and completely unbelievable. As others have said he is just too good.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've either read or listened to all of them. I liked the series even if they are all pretty much the same and completely unbelievable. As others have said he is just too good.
View Quote

Exactly. I found them entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't take it personally. The book is shit. If you like it, great. But don't defend it as if you have a personal investment in those terrible books. So you have a taste for shit, Ain't none of my business. I'm just trying to save the OP $9 and some precious time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the same reaction. Mitch Rapp is over the top and obviously nothing like me.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They were pretty good.  Better in the beginning than by the end, but by far superior to Brad Thor's stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just finished Brad Thor's, Code of Conduct.  It ends too quickly like Flynn's last book.

Both authors were similar in style.  Each had their own super hero, and Brad's is Scot Harvath.  Who like Rapp, is an incredible shooter.

I'd say that Flynn's books were more polished that Brad.  Brad seems to get caught up in the introductory fluff in the first part of the book... too much metamorphic details while introducing a character.  All in all, I actually skipped about 10 pages from Code of Conduct.

Sure wish Vince Flynn was still around... RIP.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]
i spend most of my work time driving. I just got into the Vince Flynn audiobooks. They were entertaining enough that I listened to about 6 or 7 in a row.

I know Rapp's character is a little over the top but its fiction people. Its not a FM or counter terrorism TM! I laugh at the complaints about the one handed shooting or "tactical techniques". If we pissed and moaned about every tactical nuance then nobody would watch any TV or movies either.

But regarding Flynn's work ... for me they were entertaining enough that I listened to several in a row and plan to finish the series. They made my windshield time enjoyable enough to the point I looked forward to driving.

My only complaint was that all his work spent a lot of time setting up the plot only to rush the ending. You'd have 90% of the book going along then BOOM it would abruptly wrap up with the ending.

Spoiler Alert:
With that said, i'm going to practice my one handed shooting at the range with my silenced Beretta. Go to the Brazilian Ju Jitsu (Gracie) dojo to kick everyones ass and take out some dipshit traitor politician with my former DEVGRU buddies.  (I forgot to tell you, I'm a former all american lacrosse player and multiple Ironman Triathlon champion!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top