Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/9/2002 6:00:00 AM EST
I just became aware of how fast those little things go. 55-80 mph in those little things?!? That's insane. How much does it cost to get started? I would not be interested (yet) in racing the Yamaha class 80 mph karts. Just the sprint karts. I hear once you get in one you're hooked.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:04:42 AM EST
When I stopped racing those things several years ago they were going for about 3-4k for a fully prepped sled.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:16:19 AM EST
Damn, maybe I'll have to find used stuff. Why did you stop?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:29:57 AM EST
No, you get hooked when you get into the shifter karts. Here in Phoenix, you can go to the kart track in the "off season" time when pro racing seasons are over, and race against guys like Paul Tracy from CART CHAMP CARS. Or Arie Lyundike Jr. Or Billy Boat... the list goes on. Want your ego deflated ? Show up for a race when these guys are running !
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:08:16 AM EST
i race ashaplt and dirt in a clutch-kart. just a 5hp briggs raptor running alcohol and a second hand margay pro chassis. total cost to build the cart...about $1200-1400. spares add another $500 and equipment, tools and such add about $500. figure on two motors/rebuilds to campaign a season with. other than that, running costs are very low. my kart laps at about 64mph ave. around an 1/8 mile dirt oval. maybe hit 70-72 down the straights and scrub a little off tossing it around the turns.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:18:57 AM EST
What are the shifter-karts and clutch-karts? Are there any good web sites explaining all these things? I haven't found one yet.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:55:54 AM EST
clutch karts are single speed with a centrifugal clutch (costing $50 to $400 for the clutch, depending on class rules). a shifter kart utilizes a sequential gearbox, usually adapted from motorcycles. they may have 5, 6 or 7 speeds. karts also fall into "laydown" and "sit up" classification, depending upon the driving position. subclasses also include "enduro" and "sprint" carts. they class i run is a good, low cost, entry level catagory...great for those who are on a budget or doing the part time thing. do a search using: world karting association, margay, international karting association, etc. and start following links. karting, is truely a license to thrill. i have been in/on a lot of fast machines over the years and karts rank very high on this adrenaline junkie's list of rush sports. a shifter kart held the lap record at mid-ohio sports car course for many years...faster even than indy cars, formula 5000 and can-am cars! no bad for a "toy" go-kart!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:58:42 AM EST
There's a whole bunch of us that race Honda Odyssey's and Pilot's. They're not carts but a heck of a lot more useful, safer and fun. You can get into one for anywhere between $800 to $10,000 depending on the machine. [img=left]http://www.efcyber.com/photos/85odyssey.gif[/img=left] Here's a website I'm developing if your are interested. Parts of it still don't work but it will give you an idea about our sport. [url]http://www.efcyber.com/odysseyz/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:07:22 AM EST
ramjet, where are you racing?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:21:58 AM EST
Funny CampyBob, but I think near you near where you held Bulletfest III. There's a couple different tracks in Ohio but the main one is Spring Valley near Hanoverton just East of Akron/North Canton. Look for the dinky town called Millport, it's there. Some of the other tracks are in IN and MI. Most of the guys in Ohio both trail ride, race and just have a good time. Ever hear of "Rumble on the Ridge"? It attracts close to 4000 riders at the Sportsmen's club near Between Adena and Smithfield, Ohio. It's a huge event. Knocked our socks off the first time. Rumble got a kick out of us since we are so rare compared to your Joe Smoe ATV. We try to get about ten of us Oddy and Pilot drivers to go. Loads of fun!
Top Top