Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2009 7:19:50 PM EDT
Awesome game... but the land battles are.. weird.

I tell my troops to attack a enemy unit.. and they just... stand there.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 1:04:57 PM EDT
Yes, got it two days ago.

I like the game a great deal and think that it brings a lot of great additions to the table.

I have not had a problem with my units not attacking the enemy, and like how land battles now have more tactics and subtlety. Combined arms warfare is now necessary and very entertaining. I have experienced some glitches in land fighting, notably that cannons when emplaced in prepared fighting positions, will often fire and hit their own trench wall instead of the enemy (or they will just shoot each other if you leave them un-monitored). I also have problems with my infantry not firing when taking cover behind walls.

Sea battles are an interesting animal. It seems that "crossing the T" and raking the enemy ships from stern to stem is less effective than history would indicate, as I seem to kill more crew just trading broadsides.

Also, I can't understand for the life of me how the Light Galleys are so damn powerful. Once you get into the Mediterranean you face swarms of the little bastards. They will send a 4th rate to the bottom in no time.

An example battle:

I had one 4th rate, two 5th rates, two 6th rates, and two brigs. All had full crews, guns, and no hull damage.

They had 5 light galleys

Their galleys came at me in one long line. My ships were in three lines and crossed their path with the wind to give them full broadsides before closing alongside. Their first galley fired it's four guns at max range, causing one brig to instantly explode. The next two fired at my fourth rate, hitting it a total of five times (destroying four guns). The first galley had been targeted by broadsides from all my ships (and was not sunk, only having 2 guns disabled and 5 crew killed). The galleys wheeled to face my ships as they passed, hitting my admiral's 5th rate 6 times and the 4th rate 2 more times.

From taking just these few hits, the 4th and 5th rates had severe hull damage and heeled away from the fight as the rest of my fleet finished the galleys with grapeshot. Both sank soon after.

Net result: I lose 1 5th rate, 1 4th rate, and 1 Brig to 5 light galleys. None of the galleys sank- all surrendered. The first galley was targeted by a broadside from every ship in my fleet at first contact, probably 115 guns at once, and did not sink.

I had just destroyed Denmark's fleet of 1 5th rate, 2 brigs, 1 sloop, and 2 indiamen with this same fleet and did not lose a ship.

Fluyts are another "broken" ship IMHO. They take insane amounts of punishment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:17:27 PM EDT
Rocket ships for the win...It's my new tool to set everything on fire...even the ocean itself.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 7:09:23 AM EDT
how more complicated is it compared to medivel total war 2?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 10:30:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brokenyapper:

There's a lot more to understand in grand campaign, but Empire's very in-depth tutorial makes it a lot easier to jump into the grand campaign. Essentially, the tutorial is you starting off as colonists in Jamestown. Then you enter the French and Indian war and fight the French. Then you move to the next episode which is the Revolutionary War which will teach you A LOT since you have to build up an economy and an army with little resources. After that is done, the tutorial is essentially complete and you unlock the last episode which is the U.S. in it's own mini grand campaign from the end of the war to 1810 I believe. After that, the real grand campaign is a lot easier to play, and I now get about 50,000 gold each turn.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 10:43:56 AM EDT
thanks for the info. i might pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:57:20 PM EDT
thanks for the info. i might pick it up.

It's worth it for the Battle of Bunker Hill alone. That was intense!
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:07:48 PM EDT
In my opinion the user interface is much more steam lined, and I feel like I have better control over my empire in this game than any of the previous ones. I would always have the one step behind everyone else feeling in rome total war, for instance. Also, in my games I was never able to capitalize from taking over other nations. The bigger my empire got the faster I would go broke and be decimated. In Empire Total war, you gain a lot of wealth from conquering other nations, and yes everything can still go to hell in a round or two, but you still have much better control and can address the situations fairly quick.

Its a good game, best so far.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:16:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JustaGunNut:
In my opinion the user interface is much more steam lined, and I feel like I have better control over my empire in this game than any of the previous ones. I would always have the one step behind everyone else feeling in rome total war, for instance. Also, in my games I was never able to capitalize from taking over other nations. The bigger my empire got the faster I would go broke and be decimated. In Empire Total war, you gain a lot of wealth from conquering other nations, and yes everything can still go to hell in a round or two, but you still have much better control and can address the situations fairly quick.

i always hated that part in rome. So do you still have a choice between a city and a castle/fortress?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:19:18 PM EDT
I was reading some E: TW forums just now. They were bitching about how tough some of their battles were, on hard difficulty.

I'm thinking to myself, I haven't played a game on anything but the hardest setting in 8 years, and most video games are boringly easy to me.

I feel like a veteran..

Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:20:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TearsInRain:
I was reading some E: TW forums just now. They were bitching about how tough some of their battles were, on hard difficulty.

I'm thinking to myself, I haven't played a game on anything but the hardest setting in 8 years, and most video games are boringly easy to me.

I feel like a veteran..

how did you get that many posts in less then a year?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:21:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By demolitio:

There's a lot more to understand in grand campaign, but Empire's very in-depth tutorial makes it a lot easier to jump into the grand campaign. Essentially, the tutorial is you starting off as colonists in Jamestown. Then you enter the French and Indian war and fight the French. Then you move to the next episode which is the Revolutionary War which will teach you A LOT since you have to build up an economy and an army with little resources. After that is done, the tutorial is essentially complete and you unlock the last episode which is the U.S. in it's own mini grand campaign from the end of the war to 1810 I believe. After that, the real grand campaign is a lot easier to play, and I now get about 50,000 gold each turn.

I haven't done the 4th Chapter yet. Once you complete your objectives (1810), can you start a new game as the US, or do you just keep playing?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2009 2:23:27 PM EDT by TearsInRain]

I feel like a veteran..

Same way I got good at gaming I guess.

Too much time on my hands/on the computer..

ETA: Also, my whole life, I've made it a priority to learn just about anything I can, about anything, so I have a lot of knowledge to comment on almost any topic..
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 6:05:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2009 6:07:16 PM EDT by nihilsum]

i always hated that part in rome. So do you still have a choice between a city and a castle/fortress?

Nope, you can fortify your cities though.

ETA: The region's structures are no longer concentrated in the capitol city. There are towns spaced throughout the region that each can contain one economic or religious structure. Capturing the capitol takes the region, but towns can be raided for money.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 8:34:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By demolitio:

I haven't done the 4th Chapter yet. Once you complete your objectives (1810), can you start a new game as the US, or do you just keep playing?

You can keep playing with no advancement in time, but the 4th chapter is the only way to play as the U.S. in the grand campaign. Unless you get the mod that unlocks all factions for grand campaign.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 6:44:32 PM EDT
It looks like there isn't a great deal of interest in the game here....
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 7:08:55 PM EDT
I love it. I wish there were more of us.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 7:46:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nihilsum:
It looks like there isn't a great deal of interest in the game here....

It really is a niche genre that people overlook due to the overwhelming size of the game. I didn't even hear of Rome:TW until last year and that is when I fell in love with the series and bought every TW game since.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 3:46:35 PM EDT
How large is the demo? A friend of mine is really into this series of games, and I want to try it out, but HDD space is at a premium...I suppose I could buy a bigger HD, but I'm being a cheapskate lately on stuff...
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 5:28:09 PM EDT

Coastal cities first, build ports and markets and any religious temple associated with trade. Unless you are Scythia, Parthia or Numidia, you shouldn't go broke.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 10:18:56 PM EDT
I tried the demo, didn't like it. I have an Argentine friend who's played some of the other TW titles and says the only thing they really worked on was naval combat, and that the AI is still woefully incompetent.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 12:01:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2009 12:12:14 AM EDT by Dave_A]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

It's good...

Could be better though... I expected to see some good ole English Square, 'At my command, Volley..... FIRE!' action, but instead it seems that the individual musketmen just reload and fire at will, from the first rank... T

urning off 'fire at will' allows you to assign targets to units... But they still do not use the right mechanics for that era (eg , no 1st rank fire, kneel reload while 2nd rank fires, etc)....

Further, it should be called Empire: Total Bugs as it has more crash-bugs amd graphics issues than you can shake a fist at...

Naval Combat is better, but you still can't bring your naval vessels into the land-fight (othar than dropping off troops) AFIK, so the whole intro sequence showing a blockade is misleading, to say the least....

The combat AI is a few licks past retarded... Your artillery will blue-on-blue itself to death (do NOT give a line of cannon a target on either end of the line - they will all turn to engage it, and the rear-most gun will fuck up all of the ones in front of it..., units get 'stuck' all over the place...

And Hadji has better artillery skills than the units in this game....

The AI will try to flank and do some other similar maneuvers, however...

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 12:05:04 AM EDT

Nope...

Forts are (in true 'Empire-era' style) separate structures located at major choke-points
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:02:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Nope...

Forts are (in true 'Empire-era' style) separate structures located at major choke-points

But if you continue to upgrade your city's defenses, it basically becomes a star fort with plenty of cannons.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 12:34:56 PM EDT

It's good...

Could be better though... I expected to see some good ole English Square, 'At my command, Volley..... FIRE!' action, but instead it seems that the individual musketmen just reload and fire at will, from the first rank... T

urning off 'fire at will' allows you to assign targets to units... But they still do not use the right mechanics for that era (eg , no 1st rank fire, kneel reload while 2nd rank fires, etc)....

you unlock that tactic by researching it in the game.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:09:22 PM EDT
Anyone have the collectors edition? Are the special units worth it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 9:36:32 AM EDT
Just picked it up yesterday and played for about 4 hours. So far I like what they've done.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:14:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By purplecheese:
Anyone have the collectors edition? Are the special units worth it?

Not for the extra 20 bucks. Go to Best Buy and get it for 39.99 and even that comes with the USS Constitution. So you get one of the special units for a lot better price.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:03:01 PM EDT
I liked Rome TW, Ill see about getting a demo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 7:11:10 AM EDT

It's good...

That is because you haven't gotten the fire by rank technology.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 10:35:40 AM EDT

It's good...

Further, it should be called Empire: Total Bugs as it has more crash-bugs amd graphics issues than you can shake a fist at...

Naval Combat is better, but you still can't bring your naval vessels into the land-fight (othar than dropping off troops) AFIK, so the whole intro sequence showing a blockade is misleading, to say the least....

The combat AI is a few licks past retarded... Your artillery will blue-on-blue itself to death (do NOT give a line of cannon a target on either end of the line - they will all turn to engage it, and the rear-most gun will fuck up all of the ones in front of it..., units get 'stuck' all over the place...

I agree with most of the above.

-When I put my infantry in square, none of the men fire their weapons. Is this normal?
-I researched the "fire by rank" technology, but do not see a button to use it. How can I use it?
-My artillery won't hit anything either, unless there is a huge formation to shoot at.

-I can't win battles. I can kill/rout every enemy on the map but am never rewarded a victory, getting a 'close defeat' when time runs out. I clear every stand of brush/woods on the map after getting rid of all the visible bad guys. Still no win.

-Light galleys are still frustrating as shit. Today I had a fourth rate sink after getting hit 6 times by light galleys. WTF?!?!
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 9:26:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nihilsum:

It's good...

I agree with most of the above.

-When I put my infantry in square, none of the men fire their weapons. Is this normal?
-I researched the "fire by rank" technology, but do not see a button to use it. How can I use it?
-My artillery won't hit anything either, unless there is a huge formation to shoot at.

-I can't win battles. I can kill/rout every enemy on the map but am never rewarded a victory, getting a 'close defeat' when time runs out. I clear every stand of brush/woods on the map after getting rid of all the visible bad guys. Still no win.

-Light galleys are still frustrating as shit. Today I had a fourth rate sink after getting hit 6 times by light galleys. WTF?!?!

they should do it automatically, no button to press

Dunno about that, i guess you should turn off battle time limits
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 9:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2009 9:44:22 PM EDT by Paulie771]
I've been playing this since release. I love it, especially after the patch that fixed a lot of the preformance issues I was having.

However, the lack of AI naval invasions is game breaking. Do NOT play as Britannia or any other nation that is surrounded by water. The AI is currently unable to use fleets to drop armies off, so it can't attack expect by land routes. This makes for some very boring late game British games. I'd stay with a land locked country at first until they patch and fix this, and a couple of other (AI not attacking trade nodes, trade income being massively too high, etc), issues.

If you don't care about this, it's a great game. Best so far IMHO...
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:10:33 PM EDT
just got clearance from wife to purchase it.... will it make me uninstall Medieval 2?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:28:51 AM EDT
No, I have Rome, MTW: 2, and Empire all installed and they run fine...
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:06:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

heh.. not what i meant..... I meant will it make we WANT to....

and the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2009 7:27:37 PM EDT by demolitio]
Originally Posted By viktor:

heh.. not what i meant..... I meant will it make we WANT to....

and the answer is yes.

I intend to go back to MTW2 if I ever need my castle fix, but Empire will definitely occupy your time for a while.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:30:41 AM EDT
Patch released yesterday. supposedly a stability patch fixing a lot of issues people were having, lots of various CTDs and what not. Word on other forums is a patch to follow in a few weeks will be a gameplay patch to fix naval invasion, AI issues, trade issues, etc. We'll see.

I'm at 1784 with Great Britain and I'm still having a blast. I own all of India, most of NA, and I'm kicking France's ass at the moment. I'll try a land locked or western european country next to get a little more variety since the GB campaign is nerfed with no naval invasions....
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:28:32 AM EDT
I'll give it time for the next patch then I may just pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:08:46 AM EDT

I feel like a veteran..

Same way I got good at gaming I guess.

Too much time on my hands/on the computer..

ETA: Also, my whole life, I've made it a priority to learn just about anything I can, about anything, so I have a lot of knowledge to comment on almost any topic..

I have learned to shut up, as people feel like I am belittling their knowledge (or complete lack thereof).
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:07:04 PM EDT
Patch released yesterday. supposedly a stability patch fixing a lot of issues people were having, lots of various CTDs and what not. Word on other forums is a patch to follow in a few weeks will be a gameplay patch to fix naval invasion, AI issues, trade issues, etc. We'll see.

I'm at 1784 with Great Britain and I'm still having a blast. I own all of India, most of NA, and I'm kicking France's ass at the moment. I'll try a land locked or western european country next to get a little more variety since the GB campaign is nerfed with no naval invasions....

I never had CTDs before patching. Now I get at least one every 5 turns and have to reboot the PC before the game will work again. Also, my infantry now will not fire when placed behind walls. Steam must have installed the 'reverse patch.'

Top Top