Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2016 5:03:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:07:07 PM EDT
I've eaten many of their products, and have never left the table disappointed. That being said, I've always maintained the opinion that I could get the same quality cheaper, if I were paying, but since I manufactured their coolers they ship their food in, I always got a nice discount
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:08:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PikeSlayer:
I just ordered this for $49. Seems to good to be true for $49. Pig lips?

http://www.omahasteaks.com/product/The-Family-Gift-Pack%2B-4-FREE-Kielbasa-41326?ITMSUF=YBA&shoptype=PROMOTION&shopsrc=PRMLP-FSUpgrade
View Quote

Their meat is overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:08:39 PM EDT
I haven't but I've heard about them multiple times and never was it someone complimenting them. I'd pass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:10:08 PM EDT
Well, for $49 it looks pretty decent. I could jus barely get al of that locally for the same price, but the plus is, the UPS fairy will bring it here instead of me driving all over. Genuinely interested to see how good it is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:10:15 PM EDT
I can almost taste the preservatives from here.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:10:53 PM EDT
I almost bought some until I read the online reviews.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:12:21 PM EDT
Got one of their larger packages as a gift. Steaks, Hamburgers, Baked Potatoes and a dessert.

The Hamburgers weren't bad but the steaks were nothing special at all and I get much better meat here locally.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:14:51 PM EDT
i remember when i was single, i had to usually cook two of them for myself.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:14:56 PM EDT
I've gotten them as corporate holiday gifts.
Portions are very small.
It seems like they are filled with water or something. Massive shrinkage when cooked.

The coolers they come in are nice
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:16:52 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 40BOY:
Portions are very small.
It seems like they are filled with water or something. Massive shrinkage when cooked.

View Quote

That's their special secret recipe MSG brine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:16:57 PM EDT
Sweet, so at least I am getting a good boat cooler.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:17:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 5:18:12 PM EDT by Subnet]
I can't think of a single reason to mail order a steak, unless you really do live way outside of civilization and can't buy decent steaks without driving at least an hour to the store or something. 

Somebody bought me Omaha steaks as a gift, several years ago. There's nothing wrong with them (they're not terrible or anything), they're just obscenely priced for what they are. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:17:47 PM EDT
We receive a box or 2 each year from clients, never been impressed and the last few years we have passed them along to a young couple with mouths to feed.
I'm an admitted food snob and prefer to chose my own cut's and prepare our meals accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:18:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DetrhoytMAK:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DetrhoytMAK:
Originally Posted By 40BOY:
Portions are very small.

AKA embalming fluid......
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:20:12 PM EDT
Got a gift card at work for them one year, disgusting. Threw the gift card away last year.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:22:08 PM EDT
I have a third generation meat store 4 miles from my house; everything there is sourced from farms less than 50 miles away, incredible stuff. This is a $49 experiment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:22:44 PM EDT
The only thing Omaha related is the warehouse it is shipped to and from! Get much better meat from a local butcher...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:28:27 PM EDT
if i buy that will a recently released felon show up at my door in a white truck with a freezer on the back insisting i buy meat from him?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:29:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I can't think of a single reason to mail order a steak, unless you really do live way outside of civilization and can't buy decent steaks without driving at least an hour to the store or something. 

Somebody bought me Omaha steaks as a gift, several years ago. There's nothing wrong with them (they're not terrible or anything), they're just obscenely priced for what they are. 
View Quote

Agreed. Find a good butcher OP
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 5:35:58 PM EDT by dcboyd]
We have ordered their products regularly for last 10 years. We get great deals if you look for them. We also have never had a tough steak, and their sides, potatoes, cheese cake, hot dogs are excellent. Had one show up while we were gone, called them and a new shipment arrived a couple of days later.
Excellent service. We do order at least 4 times a year, plus food gifts for relatives. Have not purchased a store bought steak in forever, and when we do it's usually a disappointment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:33:45 PM EDT

View Quote

Coupons and mailings you can save a bunch. We have/ hada retail store close..a few times we bought from there.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:38:38 PM EDT
I only order when they are having one of their 50% off sales (which they did a few weeks ago). I usually get two of their 32 oz chateaubriand roasts and some of their filet mignons (don't get any below 6 or 7 oz as the 5 oz ones are too small). Occasionally, my supermarket meat section will be able to cut some filet mignons, but, they've never offered any chateaubriand roasts. Omaha's chateaubriands are really good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 5:43:10 PM EDT by fjleiter]
Use a burner email address...they will spam bomb you to eternity after you order from them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:47:46 PM EDT
I was shipped one as a gift and actually thought it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:59:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By realwar:
I was shipped one as a gift and actually thought it was pretty good.
View Quote

I've had family send me 3-4 of them, from the $50 All American jobbie, to some of their $100 ones.

I've always maintained that they're not a bad deal if you live in the sticks and don't have access to good markets, or butchers, but if you price things out at a good market, you can probably do better there.

Still, they're nice to have if you're a single person, say...and don't like shopping all that much.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:18:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By greenranger:
if i buy that will a recently released felon show up at my door in a white truck with a freezer on the back insisting i buy meat from him?
View Quote

Ickey Woods showed up in our neighborhood selling steaks once. Didn't buy any though..
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:20:08 PM EDT

View Quote
You're in Texas. Texas has decent enough steak as long as you stay away from scrawny grass fed cattle. If you're someplace like Virginia, however, Omaha Steaks are better than anything local.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:21:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By happycynic:

You're in Texas. Texas has decent enough steak as long as you stay away from scrawny grass fed cattle. If you're someplace like Virginia, however, Omaha Steaks are better than anything local.

View Quote

I am now, but I had the exact same opinion when I lived in NE Ohio. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:22:14 PM EDT
GD hates mail order steaks.

The rage boners that erected themselves in the last thread I did on this subject are a testament to that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 6:29:58 PM EDT by cyborg543]
I must be a real slob because when I eat steaks from Pennsylvania, they seem delicious to me

If I was really classy, then I would insist on mail order steaks

I would get my Pennsylvania steak, eat a bite, and slowly and without any expression on my face sweep the plate to the floor and sit there until a mail order steak is put before me

like a king

I would wipe my face with a sham-wow

it's super absorbent

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:31:16 PM EDT

I received several filet mignons as a gift once. I thought they were good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bubba556:

Ickey Woods showed up in our neighborhood selling steaks once. Didn't buy any though..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bubba556:
Originally Posted By greenranger:

Did he do his shuffle?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:34:37 PM EDT

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By happycynic:

The midwest is pretty good with beef. I've had great steaks in Minneapolis. The Southeast, however, doesn't know what to do with a cow. Now a pig, that is another matter.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:55:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2016 6:55:38 PM EDT by u-baddog]
We used to get gifted variety packs a few times a years from work .
My Local BJ's seem as good or better.
Bj's and steak
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:01:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PikeSlayer:
I just ordered this for $49. Seems to good to be true for $49. Pig lips?

http://www.omahasteaks.com/product/The-Family-Gift-Pack%2B-4-FREE-Kielbasa-41326?ITMSUF=YBA&shoptype=PROMOTION&shopsrc=PRMLP-FSUpgrade
View Quote
5 oz steaks? Seriously?

This is a steak:

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:18:19 PM EDT
My local butcher crushes them on a price/quality ratio, but Omaha is still good quality stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:28:54 PM EDT
So that's what Eli Manning has been yelling for all these years. Who knew?
Top Top