Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 4:47:30 PM EDT
A civilian who works for me is retiring soon (after 30 years of service), and I picked up a flag flown over the Pentagon and a triangular flag box for it to honor her.  When I put the flag in the box, it not only doesn't fill the box completely and therefore rattles around in it, but the folded flag just looks wrong.  Anyone know a better way to present a 3X5' flag in a flagbox?  Do I cut some cardboard and wrap the flag around it, or what?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
try laying some felt fabric on the back inside.  That should help it not slip and filling the edges a bit.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
try laying some felt fabric on the back inside.  That should help it not slip and filling the edges a bit.

SGatr15

I have seen this done before and it looked good. Just kind of fold it  up and around it as though it is cushioned in the felt on all sides.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
make sure the box was made for a 3x5 sized flag.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A civilian who works for me is retiring soon (after 30 years of service), and I picked up a flag flown over the Pentagon and a triangular flag box for it to honor her.  When I put the flag in the box, it not only doesn't fill the box completely and therefore rattles around in it, but the folded flag just looks wrong.  Anyone know a better way to present a 3X5' flag in a flagbox?  Do I cut some cardboard and wrap the flag around it, or what?

The cardboard may help it from "wilting" after time, but I don't think it is necessary.  I suggest a couple of tacks placed through the flag from the inside (not visible) to secure it to the background and assure that it stays centered.

It is a wonderful, thoughtful gift that I am sure will be treasured.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I did several of these for guys retiring from AD. I would cut a piece of stiff cardboard to match the size of the inside of the triangle bax, position it on the flag to present a "triangle" of stars and slip it into the box. Fold the remainder of the flag into the bax and install the cover.

When I retired I was given a shadow box with a flag box in the bottom. I opened it just to see how it was placed in the box.  I wasn't surprised to see a piece of cardboard.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I did several of these for guys retiring from AD. I would cut a piece of stiff cardboard to match the size of the inside of the triangle bax, position it on the flag to present a "triangle" of stars and slip it into the box. Fold the remainder of the flag into the bax and install the cover.

When I retired I was given a shadow box with a flag box in the bottom. I opened it just to see how it was placed in the box.  I wasn't surprised to see a piece of cardboard.

Eddie

So do you just kind of wad the flag in on top of the cardboard?  That's the part I'm having trouble with!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eddie

So do you just kind of wad the flag in on top of the cardboard?  That's the part I'm having trouble with!

Find a site with proper folding instructions, you'll get a field of stars withOUT 'wadding' it up.

www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

How to properly fold it -
www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/1bfb_disp7a.html

Do it right, or don't do it at all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I made flag boxes while in the Navy for retirees and we just made the box to fit the flag when it's properly folded.

www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html#4
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Thanks for your unhelpful, unconstructive criticism.  Why do you think I asked the question in the first place? I'm trying to both respect the flag and present the nicest possible flag box......and the problem is not the flag, really its the flag box.  When the flag is folded correctly, it rattles around the box, even though both are sized 3'x5'.

What I'd like to have is just the field of blue showing--no folds, no corners, etc.  I've seen some flags displayed this way, and liked it.  I just got done doing a full shadowbox for another one of my troops who's retiring, and the shadowbox I found actually has a wooden lip around the whole thing so when the flag is put in the box, all you see is the blue field.

Thanks, Sarge, I like the felt idea.  Off to the fabric store tomorrow!

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]
another idea is to try that sticky cloth that they line drawers with.

WalMart has it for about $3 and you can cut to fit it.

Look in their auto deptartment where the RV products are...you will see it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually don't post, but I had this same problem today while making a shadowbox for one of our retiring Chiefs. After having the same results (to small for alloted area) I consulted with my Master Chief (30 years service) on the possibilities of a slight breech of flag folding protocol in order to make it fit and present properly. He and others agreed that while it isn't EXACTLY the proper folding technique, it is better to honor the flag in a nice presentation than honor a folding technique at the expense of a poor presentation.

The answer? The size of the final triangle is determined by your first fold. If you fold edge to edge it will be to small. On the first fold, fold it so the edge is 1 inch or so below the other edge. On your second fold, follow the procedure as normal and fold with edges touching.It might take a few tries, but you will eventually get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top