Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 9:23:48 PM EDT
Just thinking about retirement planning lately here. I am in the SELRES and had 6 years active duty before (I've got around 2300 points now). If someone finishes out their 20 or goes beyond that they would be looking at reserve retirement benefits (a little check, medical benefits, etc) once they hit 55-60 years old, depending how many years they do and how many points they accumulate. I like being in the reserves, not thinking of quiting or anything, just curious if anybody has any opinions or experience with the retirement aspect of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't hold your breath on Medical.  All indications are that even regular retirees aren't getting the real thing anymore.  although it's getting better.  Tri-Care etc.

All I know is that I have another 8 years to start drawing pay.  At least now you get Exchange and Commissary benefits such as they are during the "grey" area.   Commissary is nice if you live close to one, if not, even when we got 12 visits a year it wasn't worth driving from North Orange County to El Toro.  You can get some good buys at some of the Exchanges.  I know some retirees that get range privileges, etc.

You'll probably stick around till the 12 year point having fun, and then decide you might as well stick around.  Add Reserve Retirement to Social Security and real retirements from companies, IRA's 401 ks and things begin to look reasonable.

However once you get enough years and points in to retire, it probably isn't worth your time or effort to accrue more points in a non-pay billet.

Now my Mother is in good shape because my Dad earned a Police retirement, Army Reserve Retirement and Social Security and as far as I can tell all her medical and dental are covered between the three of them.

The really big question is will it negatively impact on your civilian career and how badly?  Yes I know it's illegal to discriminate against reservists but some bosses don't like not having you around.  About a third of the Reservists I knew had some career impact.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I received my 20 year letter in October 1999.  I stayed past 20 for no good reason at all.  For years I burned up vacation days playing army.

There certainly is career impact, regardless of where you work.  Could be something as simple as not being around for work bonuses/promotions.  Most of the guys I went thru the academy with are 2-3 pay levels higher than I am.

I'm mainly looking at my army check as an ammo and bait fund. If that's your SOLE retirement income you are going to have problems.  I'm not going anywhere near Tri-care, and aside from the Rod & Gun club I don't use any other benefits.

Just a note, since I joined the reserves i've spent 4 years on active duty.  REALLY builds up those promotion points.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, deployments do tend to help the old point count.

My madatory removal date is 2037.... and I will be just shy of 45 years then. may as well stay the whole time and retire a crusty CW4 of CW5 and try to draw some big bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top