Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2002 8:56:54 AM EDT
My wife has decided to pick one of these up and done a bit of research, and she asked me to do some as well. The part that has me puzzled is the different bag types. Some special bags are needed for certain machines because of the way they pull the air out. Where others can use flat bags because they use a "snorkle" to get the air out.
Just wondering if anyone knew why the difference or is it just to make money on bags?
And if any of you have them, any recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto Beer Slayer.  We also store home made dried fruit in vacuumed packed bags.  Frozen food tastes much better when stored in a vacuumed packed bag as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The_Beer_Slayer- What type of bags does yours use? Do you have any links from places you buy from?

markl32- What type did you buy?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Foodsaver brand vacuum sealer.

The one handy feature I found on the models that cost a little more than the bottom of the line model, is a manual seal button. It lets you seal a bag when most, but not all of the air is out, which is handy if sealing a fragile item you don't want crushed by the vacuum force, but still want most of the air out.  

I sealed some ammo with dessicant and found it worked well to stop it just when the cardboard boxes started getting squished, otherwise the boxes would be crushed into the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Pre-y2k we used one to seal up all kinds of bulk food for long term storage. Right now it would be a wise investment for packaging BOB components for when the time comes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#10]
i use it for everything . Being an avid fisherman i use it for bait , chum, extra hooks
etc, ammo,all the leftover fish fillets, when steak is on sale. I just love the thing
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Been using the pro model for 2 years and love this thing. I seal up everything. You can use other bags but they don't seem to work as well as the food saver bags (something to do with "ridge" design) allows a smoother vacuum process w/out alot of hassle. Was skeptical at first about dropping the money on something I  never had the chance to use but it turns out to be one of the best and most useful things I
purchased in quite some time.

Thinman
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the help. I think she has decided on the one that uses regular bags. They are way cheaper to get than the ridge type and seem to be as good.
Unless someone know why the ridge type might be better?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's a cheap source of vacuum bags:

[url]http://www.associatedbag.com/pdfs/34.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, Now I am interested to and I have been doing some price research and this is what I have found. Food Saver Professional ll.

1. Cooking.com- $279 + shipping
2. Chefs .com - $274 + "
3. Ferns      - $270 including shipping.

Now I am off to check e-bay!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top